Middle-School Girls Picket for the Right to Wear Leggings

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Middle-School Girls Picket for the Right to Wear Leggings
By Amanda Hess

www.rue21.com

Middle-school girls in Evanston, Ill., are picketing for the right to wear leggings. Sophie Hasty, 13, told the Evanston Review that teachers at Haven Middle School informed female students this month that leggings are “too distracting to boys” to be fit for the classroom. Hasty, along with 500 students who’ve signed a petition contesting the rule, counter that the only thing leggings are responsible for is the supreme comfort of those who wear them. Last week, student protesters reported to class clad in leggings or yoga pants, holding signs like, “Are my pants lowering your test scores?”

The girls’ cause is about much more than the right to bear L’eggs. By emphasizing the disruptive consequences of leggings, administrators are attempting to fix boys’ juvenile behavior by placing an unfair burden on the girls who are supposedly distracting them. (As Hasty put it: “Not being able to wear leggings because it’s ‘too distracting for boys’ is giving us the impression we should be guilty for what guys do.”) The result is that the school is actually preventing these girls from focusing on their schoolwork by asking them to pay more attention to their own bodies.

School administrators have told parents that “if leggings are worn, a shirt, shorts, or skirt worn over them must be fingertip length,” but some girls say they’re being told they’re not allowed to wear leggings at all. And according to Julia Bond, a parent of a student at Haven, the “students who were getting ‘dress-coded,’ or disciplined for their attire, tended to be girls who were more developed.” That “inconsistent enforcement simply makes girls embarrassed,” she says. Lucy Shapiro, a 12-year-old seventh grader at the school, backed up this claim, telling the Evanston Review that “when both she and a friend were wearing the same type of athletic shorts … a teacher came up and ‘dress-coded’ her, but not her friend” because, she was told, "I had a different body type than my friend.” Added Shapiro: “With all the social expectations of being a girl, it’s already hard enough to pick an outfit without adding in the dress code factor.”

Are leggings a human right? In 1969, the Supreme Court decided that while schools can’t ban students from wearing political messages on their sleeves—like black armbands donned to protest the Vietnam War—that ban didn’t extend to a school’s “regulation of the length of skirts or the type of clothing” worn by students. Schools can still impose dress codes on items that would reasonably “cause substantial disruption or material interference with school activities.” But there's a fine line between deeming a type of clothing as distracting, and declaring a body itself to be disruptive. And if boys are really spending too much time staring at leggings (or legs) instead of at the chalkboard, then that's a behavior that boys should learn to regulate before they're accused of sexual harassment once they graduate to the workforce.

According to school and district administrators, the dress code will be rehashed at a meeting later this month “in an effort to ensure consistency in terms of guidelines and enforcement across schools.” I hope they’ll listen to the arguments of leggings activists like Hasty. If the school seeks to uphold the rule, they should really have to answer the protestors' question: Has any boy actually been academically impacted by the way his classmate covers her legs?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...dents_protest_for_the_right_to_wear_them.html

BIV

Alternative article:
Students at Haven Middle School in Evanston, Illinois protest after school bans leggings

You gotta fight. For your right ... to wear leggings. Source: Supplied

HUNDREDS of students at a US high school protested their right to wear leggings to school, after female students were told that leggings are “too distracting for boys” and not fit for the classroom.

Many female students at Haven Middle School in Evanston, Illinois, wore leggings or yoga pants to school last week and more than 500 students have signed a petition opposing the school’s dress code rules.

The girls argued the rules were sexist and unfair — “Are my pants lowering your test scores?” read one poster on show at the protest.

“Not being able to wear leggings because it’s ‘too distracting for boys’ is giving us the impression we should feel guilty for what guys do,” Grade 7 student Sophie Hasty, 13, told The Evanston Review .

“We just want to be comfortable!” said Sophie, who was so upset by the dress rules that she wrote a letter to the school principal.

Don’t try and get between this girl and her leggings. Source: Supplied

The school later clarified its dress code in a letter sent home to parents: “If leggings are worn, a shirt, shorts, or skirt worn over them must be fingertip length,’” the letter read.

But some students say the rules are inconsistently enforced.

Seventh-grader Lucy Shapiro, 12, said students who got “dress-coded” or disciplined tended to be girls who were more developed, which made the girls embarrassed.

Miss Shapiro said both she and a friend were wearing the same type of athletic shorts when a teacher reprimanded her attire, but not her friend’s.

“I asked, ‘Why just me?’ and she said it was because I had a different body type than my friend,” Miss Shapiro said.

“With all the social expectations of being a girl, it’s already hard enough to pick an outfit without adding in the dress code factor.”

Leggings as pants. Yay or nay? Source: Supplied

Parents have also expressed their concerns about the dress code.

“For me, it’s about shaming girls about their bodies,” parent Julia Bond said.

“It’s this message across genders that girls have to cover up, and teachers saying to girls, the reason for this rule is so that boys aren’t distracted.”

“At what point do you take girls out of school altogether because boys can’t handle it?” she said.

The Principals’ Advisory Team are set to review the school’s dress code in the coming days.

What do you think, are leggings appropriate for school or work? Tell us in the comments below.

We must fight against this injustice.

umm..the second post is showing 20 year old WOMEN in yoga pants...what they should show is a 60lb middle school girl with the body of an asian boy...Put the reader in the uncomfortable position of sexualizing said little girl and then the level of discomfort will force most men to just say "Ok, ok, fine fine....just wear them.."

And if history has shown us anything it doesn't matter what girls wear...13 year old boys will find a way to get distracted....When i was in middle school we had school uniforms and the girls had to wear white button up shirts...and every once in a while that innocuous shirt would be see through if they walked in front of a sunny window, or you could see the bra through the armpit of a raised arm...or if the planets aligned and heaven smiled on you the shirt would spread open just enough between buttons to catch the top of the bra and some teen boob....

It just doesn't matter...

BIV

umm..the second post is showing 20 year old WOMEN in yoga pants...what they should show is a 60lb middle school girl with the body of an asian boy...Put the reader in the uncomfortable position of sexualizing said little girl and then the level of discomfort will force most men to just say "Ok, ok, fine fine....just wear them.."

And if history has shown us anything it doesn't matter what girls wear...13 year old boys will find a way to get distracted....When i was in middle school we had school uniforms and the girls had to wear white button up shirts...and every once in a while that innocuous shirt would be see through if they walked in front of a sunny window, or you could see the bra through the armpit of a raised arm...or if the planets aligned and heaven smiled on you the shirt would spread open just enough between buttons to catch the top of the bra and some teen boob....

It just doesn't matter...
Nope. Bitch could have been wearing a burka and I would have gotten a middle school boner over hot eyeball action.

LiddyRules

Regional Sales Rep for Fontaine Fish Finder
I'd say they should arrange a sit-in, but their hinders would get chilly.

lajikal

There were way worse ones believe me...
Yeah it's about comfort/laziness. Same with wearing pajamas in public. More often than not it's these fat pigs. They would walk around naked with their fat rolls if they could.

BIV

Talking With 13-Year-Old Leggings Activist Sophie Hasty
By Amanda Hess

berryjane.wordpress.com

Last month, middle-school girls in Evanston, Ill., rebelled against their school dress code by showing up to class wearing leggings en mass. Administrators at Haven Middle School say that girls in leggings are “distracting to boys”; girls counter that they simply want to attend class in the comfort that leggings provide and don't deserve to be penalized for how boys respond. I talked to Sophie Hasty, 13, one of the leaders of the protest, about the agony of getting “dress-coded” at school, the political power of Instagram, and the benefits of leggings.

Slate: When did you start to notice that the dress code was a problem?

Sophie Hasty: Last year, I never really paid attention to the dress code. But this year, teachers started to get stricter about it and giving stupid reasons for it. The reason was basically: “boys.” It’s a lot like saying that if guys do something to harass us, it’s our fault for that. We’re the ones being punished for what guys do. My friends and I got mad about it, and we would talk about it often earlier in the year, but we didn’t think we could really do anything about it.

Slate:How did the campaign start?

Hasty: First, my friends and I just talked about everyone wearing leggings on a day of school—everyone in the [seventh] grade wearing leggings—but we didn’t know if it was actually going to work. Then, we saw people a grade above us starting to post all of these Instagram things and Facebook things about starting a campaign, so we joined on, and other people in the school got on board. All of a sudden there were posters and a petition sent around.

Slate: What does it feel like to be dress-coded?

Hasty: Some teachers are laid back about it and just say, “Go put on your shorts.” Other teachers will make a big deal about it. If I’m ever wearing leggings around them—and I admit I do break dress code, because I don’t find it to be a big deal—and I’m about to pass them, I have to hide behind my friends. It’s kind of scary because the real strict ones will give you this paper that you have to bring home for your parents to sign, and if you get that a certain amount of times, you get suspended now.

Slate: What are the shorts?

Hasty: Our gym shorts. We have to put them over our leggings.

Slate: That seems embarrassing.

Hasty: It is. It’s humiliating to walk around the hallways wearing bright blue shorts. Boys yell “dress code!” when they see you. They act more inappropriate when you’re walking around in blue shorts when you’ve gotten dress-coded than when you’re just wearing leggings. I asked a teacher to tell us about an incident where a girl was wearing leggings and a guy was getting distracted. There hasn’t been one.

Slate:It sounds like following the dress code can be distracting for girls as well.

Hasty: Oh, yeah, definitely. I’ve caught myself pulling down my shirt when I’m walking past teachers so they will notice the leggings a little less. But now I’ve caught myself in public doing that, too, and that’s making me annoyed. I don’t want to be in public and worry about people seeing me in leggings. It’s not a big deal to me, and the school is trying to make me feel bad about it.

Slate: How did your teachers respond to the protest?

Hasty: Our principal was mad. The stricter dress-coding teachers were mad. Other teachers we talked to about it that day just kind of thought it wasn’t going to do anything, that it wasn’t going to be big, and nothing was going to change. They thought it was just funny. But I guess we did something because all of these articles are coming out and reporters are trying to talk to us.

Slate: What do boys at school think about the campaign?

Hasty: The boys were definitely into it. They think the dress code is against them, too, because they don’t like having it blamed on them by teachers, being told that the dress code is their fault. They don’t think it’s fair to them or us.

Slate: Do boys get dress-coded, too?

Hasty: Sometimes, but not in the way we do. When they get dress-coded, it’s not like they’re wearing leggings. They’re sagging. All a teacher needs to tell them to do is pull up their pants or take off their hood or take off their hat. They don’t need to wear these blue shorts all day. So the focus is mainly on the girls at the moment.

Slate:What’s the status of the campaign?

Hasty: The school had a meeting recently where they said that yoga pants were off the dress code, but some teachers will still dress-code for yoga pants. Leggings are still a violation, but we haven’t fully given up on that, either. There’s another meeting this month for the district to talk about the issue. Things have been changing a little bit, but I don’t know how much. We’ll see.

Slate:Has any teacher given you a good reason why you shouldn’t wear leggings to school?

Hasty: One of them said, “If your leggings look like you got black paint and painted your legs with it, it’s not appropriate.” And I can understand that. But they haven’t given us a reason as to why we can’t actually wear leggings in general—or a good reason, at least.

Slate:Why do you like wearing leggings?

Hasty: They are the most comfortable thing, other than sweatpants. But you can kind of get away with leggings easier than sweatpants, because sweatpants make you look a lot lazier. Teachers don’t understand that wearing jeans almost every day of the school year can get uncomfortable. I just love the feeling of leggings.

Slate:I think it can be much simpler for men to find comfortable pants that fit than it is for women.

Hasty: Oh, yeah. It’s way easier for them.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...ar_old_activist_sophie_hasty_talks_about.html

Sunsetspawn

Whenever I pass a hot broad in leggings I inhale deeply to see if I can smell box.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Just when I think this country is going to shit, I see a story that brings me back around. These girls are fighting for the right to give guys boners.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Just when I think this country is going to shit, I see a story that brings me back around. These girls are fighting for the right to give guys boners.

Maybe the male teachers are the real problem in this equation.

Nick the Pig

Scraping a dull comment across your tender eyeball
I’ve caught myself pulling down my shirt when I’m walking past teachers so they will notice the leggings a little less.

Nice, fucking nice. Oh wait.... she means pulling it down from the bottom doesn't she? Fuck.

lajikal

Leggings do nothing for me unless they're on a yoga-toned bubble ass which is rare. If this was for short skirts and high-heels I'd be out there picketing with them.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Leggings and yoga pants are the greatest invention since penicillin.