OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

[Question] Migrate to Mac

Discussion in 'Wackbag Tech Support' started by LilJimmyRbinson, May 23, 2012.

1. LilJimmyRbinson

LilJimmyRbinson Best muppet ever

I got a new MacBook this week and I'm trying to move all my songs/pics/movies over through my home network using the migrate to mac program. It's about 250gb of stuff so I set it up before going to bed last night. When I checked this morning it looks like the transfer stopped after 20 minutes once the laptop went to sleep. Do i have to disable sleep mode or do I have to literally sit in front of the machines and move the mouse every 5 minutes?

Semi related note, whenever I open the Mac it asks what wireless network to join. How do I get it to automatically connection to my router?

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

2. samurai

samurai Ridiculum Anserini

3. stellarcomics

stellarcomics Registered User

As for the wireless thing, go to System preferences/Network/ and join your wifi network, check yes for "Keychain remembers password". Any mac device will automatically join a network it has a valid password for; so you can take your mac from work to home without ever having to manually join the wifi networks again.

4. stellarcomics

stellarcomics Registered User

Oh, don't forget to change your energy saver settings back when you're done, you may find yourself with a dead battery because it was "powered on" thru the night. The battery continues to eat power, even when it's plugged in.

5. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

if it is actually doing something, it will not go to sleep

the screen will go out but the processing will continue

was there a progress bar?

6. samurai

samurai Ridiculum Anserini

It depends if it's display sleep or computer sleep. The former will still continue with whatever it was doing, the latter will cease all activity.

7. ReverendRob

ReverendRob Free Ice!

Beg to differ. I finally upgraded to "Snow Leopard" (OS 10.6.x) about a month ago (don't think I'll make the jump to "Lion" or "Mountain Lion" soon. I still have a good bit of apps that only run on Intel with Rosetta) and the installer disc wouldn't let you opt out of sleep. Found out on the 1st installation attempt (fortunately, I did it on my backup 1st) that the 1st that going to sleep did was cause the installation to fail.