[Question] Migrate to Mac

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
I got a new MacBook this week and I'm trying to move all my songs/pics/movies over through my home network using the migrate to mac program. It's about 250gb of stuff so I set it up before going to bed last night. When I checked this morning it looks like the transfer stopped after 20 minutes once the laptop went to sleep. Do i have to disable sleep mode or do I have to literally sit in front of the machines and move the mouse every 5 minutes?

Semi related note, whenever I open the Mac it asks what wireless network to join. How do I get it to automatically connection to my router?

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
As for the wireless thing, go to System preferences/Network/ and join your wifi network, check yes for "Keychain remembers password". Any mac device will automatically join a network it has a valid password for; so you can take your mac from work to home without ever having to manually join the wifi networks again.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
Oh, don't forget to change your energy saver settings back when you're done, you may find yourself with a dead battery because it was "powered on" thru the night. The battery continues to eat power, even when it's plugged in.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
if it is actually doing something, it will not go to sleep

the screen will go out but the processing will continue

was there a progress bar?

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago

It depends if it's display sleep or computer sleep. The former will still continue with whatever it was doing, the latter will cease all activity.

Aug 16, 2006
Somewhere down "The Way"

Beg to differ. I finally upgraded to "Snow Leopard" (OS 10.6.x) about a month ago (don't think I'll make the jump to "Lion" or "Mountain Lion" soon. I still have a good bit of apps that only run on Intel with Rosetta) and the installer disc wouldn't let you opt out of sleep. Found out on the 1st installation attempt (fortunately, I did it on my backup 1st) that the 1st that going to sleep did was cause the installation to fail.