Military branches favorite GOP candidate? The one person against the war!

UCFGavin

Feb 25, 2006
Ron Paul received more money from individuals in the military than any other GOP candidate according to their donations.

http://thespinfactor.com/thetruth/2007/07/16/military-support-for-the-republican-candidates/

NAME: TOTAL [ARMY] [NAVY] [AIRFORCE] [VETERAN] [USMC**]

RON PAUL: 24,965 [6,975] [6,765] [4,650] [5,075] [1,500]
McCain: 17,475 [6925] [6305] [1795] [800] [1600]
Romney: 3,551 [2,051] [0] [1500] [0]
Giuliani: 2,320 [1,450] [370] [250] [250]
Hunter: 1000 [0] [1000] [0]
Huckabee: 750 [250] [0] [500]
Tancredo: 350 [350] [0] [0]
Brownback: 71 [71] [0] [0]
Thompson: 0 [0] [0] [0]

Units are contributions in dollars by employees of the respective military organizations.

Source: Finance Reports for the 2007 July Quarterly.

Percentages**:

49.5% Ron Paul
34.6% McCain
7.0% Romney
4.6% Giuliani
2.0% Hunter
2.3% Others

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Those in harms way understand what a clusterfuck "war" becomes when it's being run by politicians at home.

ShiftyMH

May 31, 2004
I'm no master of statistics but I am a bit skeptical of any data with 0s in it.

Jan 6, 2006
maybe the troops don't care to be thrown in perpetual war? maybe they would like to spend time at home with their families?
They signed up, it's their duty to what is ordered by the Commander in Chief.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
I'm no master of statistics but I am a bit skeptical of any data with 0s in it.
Amounts under 300$ don't have to be reported. Also stating your employer has a greyness to it. I figured Thompson would get a little cash for his "punch a hippy" platform.

Larz

****Self-Banned****
It's My Birthday!
Feb 12, 2006
NYC E. Village, No Homo
Ron Paul supporters make me loff and loff. so now military families are going to support a candidate that wants to slash and burn the defense budget like no democrat would even dare.

I guess the next step will be to show that he can perform miracles like curing cervical cancer just by fisting a chick, thus gaining overwhelming support from evangelicals.

TrybalRage

Aug 5, 2004
Kennesaw, GA
Ron Paul supporters make me loff and loff. so now military families are going to support a candidate that wants to slash and burn the defense budget like no democrat would even dare.
To reduce the size and constant deployment of the military, yes.

But he is constantly fighting for taking better care of our soldiers and veterans.

Oops.

UCFGavin

Feb 25, 2006

I guess the next step will be to show that he can perform miracles like curing cervical cancer just by fisting a chick, thus gaining overwhelming support from evangelicals.
you don't need a large budget when you aren't sending your troops all over the world.

UCFGavin

Feb 25, 2006
They signed up, it's their duty to what is ordered by the Commander in Chief.
I, {insert name here}, do solemnly swear, (or affirm), that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God." (Note that the last sentence is not required to be said if the speaker has a personal or moral objection)

they signed up to support and defend the constitution.

also, you're right about them signing up, and thats why they've had to increase benefits to keep people and lower requirements to get new people.

don't get me wrong, i grew up in a military family and have a great deal of respect for all of our service men and women, but people are starting to catch on.

bethm1b

person of interest
Dec 1, 2006
Just past the line.
Like voting against military pay increases? thats an interesting way to show how much he cares about them.

I reserve judgement when I'm told someone voted this way or that, because of the piggyback bullshit they pile on these bills. Some of them are ridiculous.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
I see nothing wrong with this. Yes, our military is willing and able to go to war in order to defend our country against any enemy when our congress tells them to go and our president tells them how to do it.

But I am going to guess that if there was anyway possible to be back home with their family and friends as opposed to possibly being blown-up overseas, I think they would rather be home. I’m sure there are many things you are willing to do at your job that that if you had any say in the matter, you would prefer not to. Anyway, before you judge them too harshly lets see any of you put your life on the line. I am proud of our military and the work they do and I don't blame them for wanting to come home.

Having said all of that, Ron Paul is still a nut.

. Yes, our military is willing and able to go to war in order to defend our country against any enemy when our congress tells them to go and our president tells them how to do it.
Sure. Whenever Congress approves of it you're right. Congress never declared war. So the rest is moot anyway. And what's going on in Iraq is hardly "defending our country."

Razor Roman

Save the USH!
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
"You wanna get rid of drug crime in this country? Fine, let's just get rid of all the drug laws."
Yeah and we can get rid of all of the murder crime by getting rid of the muder laws too.

TrybalRage

Aug 5, 2004
Kennesaw, GA
Yeah and we can get rid of all of the murder crime by getting rid of the muder laws too.
Hey, personally I don't like drug use, even pot.

But if people want to use them without harming others, well, that's called... freedom.

UCFGavin

Feb 25, 2006
I reserve judgement when I'm told someone voted this way or that, because of the piggyback bullshit they pile on these bills. Some of them are ridiculous.
from what i read..the pay increase (about 5%) was attached to the patriot act or at least some portion of it.

ern

Hiding behind my keyboard
Jan 25, 2006
Nope... It frees up the police to deal with real crime. Which real crime would reduce dramatically in the process.
Crime? violation of law. Law is written by politicians. The old mala en se vs. mala prohibita arguments apply.

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but the vast majority of so called "drug crimes" that I see are not about drugs, they are about what drug addicts do. You need your fix, you don't have a job cause your a bum, break into someone's house and steal their stuff. The media calls this a drug crime. Sounds like regular old crime to me. Legalizing drugs will not prevent these people from robbing and stealing, and yes it may reduce the cost of those drugs temporarily but those same people will still not have money to get drugs.

The vast majority of purely drug cases I see are dealers, who plea down their cases. That is the real crime. The get a sentence of 1-2 years, out in one, minus their bail time, and back to dealing drugs in your neighborhood. Same guys all the time. In the last 3 years I have literally seen the same big time drug dealers coming through the system with light sentences. And yes, the commit other crimes too, just ask them. I can't tell you how many plead to the drug crimes to get the gun charges or assault charges tossed. Plea deals are for criminals.