Millennials

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
Sorry to bring this thread back, but I've got a new fruitcake. Dumb as a post, how he ever got his certs baffles me. I try to tell him to do something a certain way and he looks at me like he's disagreeing with me, it took me couple of incidents to realize he has almost no mechanical ability and no common sense. He has no idea why he's doing what I ask him to, and he can't figure anything out without assistance. I don't want or need a project, I need mechanics. I'm going to bounce. I've turned down two better job offers because I felt a sense of loyalty after this place gave me my space after my brother offed himself.
Brand new kids fresh out of school are full of enthusiasm and energy but only a few have common sense. They belong in a shop with more than one or two experienced mechanics, the current shop is trying to stock the place with guys that'll work for $20/hr. I can't ethically continue to work this way. It's not safe.

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
Apr 6, 2005
I Will Pay Snakes To Bite You
Sorry to bring this thread back, but I've got a new fruitcake. Dumb as a post, how he ever got his certs baffles me. I try to tell him to do something a certain way and he looks at me like he's disagreeing with me, it took me couple of incidents to realize he has almost no mechanical ability and no common sense. He has no idea why he's doing what I ask him to, and he can't figure anything out without assistance. I don't want or need a project, I need mechanics. I'm going to bounce. I've turned down two better job offers because I felt a sense of loyalty after this place gave me my space after my brother offed himself.
Brand new kids fresh out of school are full of enthusiasm and energy but only a few have common sense. They belong in a shop with more than one or two experienced mechanics, the current shop is trying to stock the place with guys that'll work for $20/hr. I can't ethically continue to work this way. It's not safe.
They gave you space because they thought doing so was in their best interest. You don't owe them shit.

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
They gave you space because they thought doing so was in their best interest. You don't owe them shit.
I agree, I'd like to say say fuck it and just walk away, it would be so easy if I didn't give a shit. Unfortunately I was born with the gene that makes me want to help. I've reached out to a couple of places, if past experience is a predictor the offers will be forthcoming.

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
Apr 6, 2005
I Will Pay Snakes To Bite You
I agree, I'd like to say say fuck it and just walk away, it would be so easy if I didn't give a shit. Unfortunately I was born with the gene that makes me want to help. I've reached out to a couple of places, if past experience is a predictor the offers will be forthcoming.
You provide a service in return for monetary compensation, that's it. That is the extent of you contract with your employer. Job loyalty is a one way street. Don't be a sucker.

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
You provide a service in return for monetary compensation, that's it. That is the extent of you contract with your employer. Job loyalty is a one way street. Don't be a sucker.
I don't give a fuck about my employer. I like airplanes. Big difference.

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
Well you are in luck because there happens to be thousands of airplane related jobs other than the one you do.
Don't pretend to be dense. There are thousands of jobs, many of which I'm not only not qualified for but I wouldn't try for regardless, I've never worked on an airliner. I've also never worked on a Cessna.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002

I’ve been there, you might want to bring that up to management, they forget that someone with 20years of experience has, 20years of experience, and that is key to your success, all “kids” are stupid, I had one that could not grasp the most simple of concepts like “righty tight, lefty loose” or do exactly what I said, do not attempt what I do.
Had one kid, really nice kid, came to work, followed orders, exactly, but, he had 0 ambition, the second he completed the task he would stop working, this was nice because he wouldn’t get ahead of me, and screw up, but, it also meant that I could not leave him unsupervised because he was only capable of short single tasks.

MurphCO

Donator
Dec 13, 2011
Parts Unknown
In their minds they don’t understand your logic, all they have to do is look up a how to video on YouTube, not listen to ‘ol fuckerface about how to do their job

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
I’ve been there, you might want to bring that up to management, they forget that someone with 20years of experience has, 20years of experience, and that is key to your success, all “kids” are stupid, I had one that could not grasp the most simple of concepts like “righty tight, lefty loose” or do exactly what I said, do not attempt what I do.
Had one kid, really nice kid, came to work, followed orders, exactly, but, he had 0 ambition, the second he completed the task he would stop working, this was nice because he wouldn’t get ahead of me, and screw up, but, it also meant that I could not leave him unsupervised because he was only capable of short single tasks.
In their minds they don’t understand your logic, all they have to do is look up a how to video on YouTube, not listen to ‘ol fuckerface about how to do their job
The sad thing is I'm not trying to bully them or make their life more difficult, I'm trying to show them how something they should have learned in school is put into practice in the real world. I do my best to explain why we're doing what we're doing, but I think a lot of these kids just don't understand the basics of how an airplane flies much less how what we're doing will effect it. And these kids are fucking timid, that's really the only word I can use to describe them. I can forgive being inexperienced, being dumb is another thing.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
The sad thing is I'm not trying to bully them or make their life more difficult, I'm trying to show them how something they should have learned in school is put into practice in the real world. I do my best to explain why we're doing what we're doing, but I think a lot of these kids just don't understand the basics of how an airplane flies much less how what we're doing will effect it. And these kids are fucking timid, that's really the only word I can use to describe them. I can forgive being inexperienced, being dumb is another thing.
Kids fresh out of school don’t understand the concept of experience through failure