OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Mississippi's "Personhood Amendment" fails at polls

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Falldog, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57321126/mississippis-personhood-amendment-fails-at-polls/

2. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Typical redneck behavior.

3. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

Stop bashing religion Norton parrot.

4. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Because a ballot initiative is the way to definitively decide one of the most complicated and disputed philosophical and scientific questions ever considered by man.

The referendum was defeated. So rednecks typically defeat stupid ballot questions?

Do you ever tire of this?

5. Party Rooster

It's the bible-thumping rednecks that got it on the ballot and 45% of the state voted for it. And I'm guessing the redneck demographic was well represented in that number.

6. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Or Catholics. Or Mexicans, who happen to be Catholic. Like it or not, there are a lot of people who believe that life begins at conception, and their opinion is just as valid as the guy who supports partial birth abortions because it's an unanswerable question. At least they tried to have their point of view represented in a legally proper manner instead of trying to end run the Constitution with activist judges. I'd say these "rednecks" are more civilized and respectful of the Constitution than you are. Being from California, you have no room to talk about dumb states.

7. Party Rooster

1. Mexicans (actually all Hispanics): 1.4%
    2. Catholics: 4.1%
    :haha7:

Ok. I stand corrected. Make that only 40% (I'm assuming there's some overlap).

But of course there's this:
    Not exactly a ringing endorsement from the Catholic crowd.

I think ballot initiatives are bullshit. They're more like"mob-rule" democracy than a constitutional republic, something the Founding Fathers wanted to avoid. And I seem to remember you not being a big fan if them either.

I'll gladly take Commiefornia and all its problems over Mississippi any day.

8. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

Jesus Fucking Christ, enough with this shit already. Really, it's impossible to distinguish between a baby and some jizz in a cunt? Unanswerable?

9. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

When you're a pin-headed hayseed who is guided by religious superstition and moral absolutes... yes, it is impossible to distinguish any shade between black and white.

10. Rash Rendering

Rash Rendering Registered User

Abort mississippi

11. Creasy Bear

Donator

Mississippi killed Jesus. I hope they're happy now.

12. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

Can we get an amendment that says that blacks aren't people now?

13. Yesterdays Hero

Yesterdays Hero She's better than you, Smirkalicious.

No one with a shred of intelligence thought this would pass. That said, I'm stunned the story received the publicity it got.

14. Pumpsie Green

Pumpsie Green Registered User

Ron Paul 2012.

(And it's a fucking joke)

15. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

Mississippi should use this as a new state motto.

Mississippi: Now 55% not retarded.

16. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

wow... way to look at the glass as half empty and not look at the positives. If a ballot measure like that cannot pass in a state that is heavily influenced by religion like Mississippi, then the chances of it passing anywhere else is extremely nil. Instead of being happy that it failed, you are still bitching about the 45%? If this were a ballot initiative in Mississippi back in 1970, I would venture to guess it would be 60-40 the OTHER way. As a person that is pro-choice, I see this as a huge positive.

If there were no way to challenge them in court, I would agree with you. Ballot initiatives can be a good thing. They can force issues to the forefront that no politician, right or left, would be willing to go near because they are too concerned with getting re-elected. Even the hard core conservatives out there will talk a big game about being pro-life (to preserve their bas), but very few of them give more than a half hearted effort in introducing actual legislation that they think will really go anywhere.

Look at Prop 215 in CA back in 1996. It brought medical marijuana to the forefront and many other states have followed suit. It's not perfect yet, but we would not be where we are now without prop 215.

They are also a way to measure where we are as a society. Look at the gay marriage one in CA back in 2008. That measure failed on the same day that the majority of people voted for Obama. That says something to the people that support it. No, it's not saying "go shit in your hat." It says they they need to continue to raise awareness and keep working to win over more people to their side. (I still think the word marriage should be wiped from every state law and it be replaced with civil union. Be it m-m, m-f or f-f, all "marriages" become civil unions in the eyes of the state and that takes away the god argument entirely)

Then stop bitching about what people do in a state you claim to not care about.

17. Party Rooster

You must have me confused with an optimist. :action-sm

18. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Well, since you obviously know everything the issue is thereby solved. I'll notify all of the philosophers and scientists that their services won't be needed. While you're at it, can you please share the secret for cold fusion with us? How about the meaning of life? These are all questions that you must obviously know the answers to.

19. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

Shark blood and cashews.

20. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

But cashews kinda look like a fetus! NOT A PERSON NOT A PERSON! I say we draw the line at age 21. Anyone under the age of 21 is no longer a person and we can kill them at will. Most teenagers are annoying anyway, and the acne rate will plunge! Yay for arbitrary numbers!

21. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

There is one thing that is not arbitrary. A 2 month old fetus that is removed from the womb cannot live/breath on its own.

I'm right in your corner on late term and partial birth abortion.

I saw it written here one time and while it is kinda crass, it's also true. "until a fetus is developed enough to live outside the womb, it is merely a parasote"

22. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

If it is determined that a mother will die unless her 35 week old fetus is aborted, which do you sacrifice?

23. Creasy Bear

Donator

Let it be decided in the Thunderdome.

24. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

That's one logical place you could draw the line.

You know what would solve this often brought up, yet very rare, talking point? Letting the states decide where they want to draw the line. Then if you don't like women getting abortions in your state, you can leave. Or if you're in a state that doesn't allow exceptions for health of the mother, she can get treatment in some place that does.

However, almost all pro-life legislation provides exceptions for rape, incest and health of the mother. Almost no one is trying to outlaw those.

25. Party Rooster

Except the rednecks in Mississippi. :action-sm