Mitch McConnell: "Casey Anthony trial a warning!!!"

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Is this another "Not meant as a factual statement" statement, or does Mitch McConnell truly hate the Constitution?

WASHINGTON, July 11 (UPI) -- The Casey Anthony acquittal shows why U.S. civilian courts should not be trusted to handle terror-suspect cases, Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell said.

"We just found with the Caylee Anthony case how difficult is to get a conviction in a U.S. court," McConnell, R-Ky., told "Fox News Sunday."

Casey Anthony, 25, of Orlando, Fla., was acquitted in the 2008 death of her 2-year-old daughter Caylee. She was sentenced to four years for lying to police -- but because of time served, she will be released from Orange County (Fla.) Jail this week, court officials said.

Suspected terrorists such as Khalid Shaikh Mohammed -- the self-described mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks who is scheduled to be tried along with four other suspects in a civilian federal court in New York -- "are not American citizens," McConnell said.

"I don't think a foreigner is entitled to all the protections of the Bill of Rights," McConnell said. "They should not be in U.S. courts. They should be at Guantanamo [Cuba] and before military commissions."

McConnell and other Republicans expressed anger last week after the Obama administration said it would prosecute in civilian court Somali terror suspect Ahmed Warsame, accused of ties to two Islamist militant groups.

Warsame was charged in U.S. District Court in New York with nine counts related to accusations he provided support to the Shabaab Islamist insurgent group fighting to overthrow the government of Somalia and al-Qaida in Yemen.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011...t-a-warning/UPI-53271310371200/#ixzz1RpHNBxSW

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
They shouldn't be tried in a normal court, they should be tried in a tribunal.
That's not even the point he's making. He's essentially saying that trials aren't necessary when someone is believed to be guilty (by him apparently). Also, you clearly can't trust a jury of one's peers to make the right decision because average joes are too stupid. Apparently he's got that part right because someone keeps voting for this jackass.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Linking the Casey Anthony trial to terrorists is just sensationalist bullshit. What an idiot.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
That's not even the point he's making.
Ummm...that's exactly the point he was making.

I don't think a foreigner is entitled to all the protections of the Bill of Rights," McConnell said. "They should not be in U.S. courts. They should be at Guantanamo [Cuba] and before military commissions."

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
Don't you mean....

Mitch Conner?

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
And where does the Bill of Rights say it does not apply to foreigners?
14th Amendment

1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
Foreign enemy combatants aren't subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. It's supposed to be hard to gain a conviction in U.S. courts, as designed by the Constitution. That's the point he's making.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
The Bill of Rights doesn't apply to enemy combatants (or foreign terrorists). That's why we have treaties. When they don't agree to treaties, then nothing applies to them. They shouldn't be tried in civilian courts.

That said, his comparison is fucking moronic.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Good to know. So we can randomly arrest foreign tourists, hold them against their will, and subject them to trial without representation? Or heck, let's just start shooting them in the head while they walk down the street since we can now deprive them of life, liberty and pursuing happiness. Fuck anyone who isn't from here. Constitutional protections = not yours!

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
That said, his comparison is fucking moronic.
Taken in the correct context, it makes absolute sense. Nowhere did he say that Casey Anthony was guilty. He said that it's hard to get a conviction in U.S. courts, which is absolutely true. He also said that foreigners don't have the same protections, which is also true. I can only imagine what the people who get bent out of shape over this shit would have done in 1945 while we were fire bombing Dresden. Demand a trial for every single person there?

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
That's not even the point he's making. He's essentially saying that trials aren't necessary when someone is believed to be guilty (by him apparently).
No, that's not what he's saying. He's saying exactly what Psychopath said he was saying.

Linking the Casey Anthony trial to terrorists is just sensationalist bullshit. What an idiot.
The connection is very obvious: Obama wants to try terrorists in the same exact system and the same exact way Casey Anthony was tried.

What exactly are you saying will be so different when the defendant in a similar Court, getting tried by the same exact rules is a terrorist, that we can't look at the Casey Anthony trial to predict how it's gonna go? (and maybe think about whether it's really a good idea to do it that way, or if we should realize we're at war and wars cannot be fought the same way we fight common criminals)

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Good to know. So we can randomly arrest foreign tourists, hold them against their will, and subject them to trial without representation? Or heck, let's just start shooting them in the head while they walk down the street since we can now deprive them of life, liberty and pursuing happiness. Fuck anyone who isn't from here. Constitutional protections = not yours!
You asked a question, he answered it, and now you're trying to stuff words in his mouth about shooting innocent tourists? That's pretty fucking weak. Sometimes it's just ok to admit that you didn't know something and move on.

The likelihood of an innocent tourist being sent to Guantanamo is probably about the same as an innocent man being convicted after a jury trial. Can it happen? Sure, but nobody sets out to do it. If you want the protections and rights given to citizens, become a citizen. If you don't, you need to understand what rights you'll have if you choose to visit, or in the case of these scumbags - try to kill us. When I go to a foreign country I'm perfectly aware that my rights are not the same as they are here.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
The connection is very obvious: Obama wants to try terrorists in the same exact system and the same exact way Casey Anthony was tried.
Im going to chalk that up to the "Ill believe it when I see it" column. There is no reason a foreign citizen should be tried in a criminal court and like it was said before they should be tried in front of a tribunal. The connection is just intended to throw McConnell's name around and stir the media bullshit.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
eh, whatever.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i just dont give a shit anymore, i want to drink beer smoke dope and fuck my girlfriend in the pooper, when i can no longer do one of these things and it is directly associated but some legislation then i will give a flying fuck

Joker1919

Oct 11, 2008
Central Kentucky
i just dont give a shit anymore, i want to drink beer smoke dope and fuck my girlfriend in the pooper, when i can no longer do one of these things and it is directly associated but some legislation then i will give a flying fuck
I think you could get elected on that platform sir.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio

Why would you do that, it would hurt the tourist business