Mitt Romney: Humans contribute to global warming

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Mitt Romney: Humans contribute to global warming

By Brian Montopoli

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney broke with many in his party on Friday when he said he believes humans have contributed to global warming.

"I believe the world is getting warmer, and I believe that humans have contributed to that," said at a New Hampshire town hall meeting, according to Reuters.

There is widespread consensus within the scientific community that the earth warming and that human beings are at least partially responsible. But many Republicans dispute that conclusion, including Oklahoma Sen. James Inhofe, the top Republican on the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.

Inhofe has suggested that global warming is a hoax that "started in the United Nations and the ones in the United States who really grab a hold of this is the Hollywood elite."

Romney reportedly said Friday that he believed the United States as well as foreign nations need to "reduce our emissions of pollutants and greenhouse gases," saying they "may be significant contributors" to climate change.

As Reuters notes, one of 2012 GOP Romney's rivals, former House speaker Newt Gingrich, said last week that the push to address climate change is "the newest excuse to take control of lives" by "left-wing intellectuals." Gingrich had previously suggested that "our country must take action on climate change."

Gingrich is not the only Republican presidential contender to shift on climate change issues. Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman said in 2007 that "it's time for Congress to act by capping greenhouse gas pollution," but he now says it isn't the time to address the issue. And former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty has backed off his previous support for cap-and-trade energy legislation, saying he had been wrong in once calling for a cap on carbon emissions.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20068782-503544.html#ixzz1P6RDygmT
This is really enraging the cons. Limbaugh said "Bye bye nomination" on his radio show and now Palin's flip-flopping on it is making the rounds as well. Romney seems to think he's the "lock" for the GOP nomination and doesn't care who he pisses off.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I find it amusing that people thought he was electable in the first place.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
If I'm not mistaken, I think Chris Christie said something similar last week.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
All animals by exhaling emit carbon into the atmosphere

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
Maybe Stanhope can be Mitts VP. They can run on abortion and sodomy.

[video=youtube;YkgDhDa4HHo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkgDhDa4HHo[/video]

Stanhope, big NWO supporter.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
It's bovine revenge. The cow farts are too blame. They figure even if it means moo-cow genocide, they will change the climate and kill off man. Better to kill yourself along with your adversary, then to end up on his plate.

It's the cooowwwssss, maaaaaannnnnnnn!

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
So did Sarah Palin, that is before the Tea Party made it a plank in their platform to be against it. God damn Katie Couric and her GOTCHA journalism!
SP's second flipflop of the week? I know it's not worthy of its own thread but anyone notice the emails that were released this week? Specifically the one where she thought that anyone making a threat of shooting someone should be stripped of their Second Amendment rights? Bet that one's not gonna sit well with the Con crowd too.

Fixed

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
SP's second flipflop of the week? I know it's not worthy of its own thread but anyone notice the emails that were released this week? Specifically the one where she thought that anyone making a threat of shooting someone should be stripped of their Second Amendment rights?
Is that the best they dug up from those 20,000 some odd emails? Wow.

But yes, I did read the highlights of the Palin e-mails...but I had to stop because I was starting to really like her.

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
He's a Moron. That alone equals doomed in the presidential race, considering that it's one of the sillier religions out there.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
All animals by exhaling emit carbon into the atmosphere
Yeah, but that carbon is in the form of CO2 which is reabsorbed by plants. Plants grew, died and turned into oil. Plants take Carbon Dioxide (one carbon and 2 oxygens) water (2 hydrogens and 1 oxygen) and convert it to via sunlight into food....locking up the C and releasing the 02 as oxygen. That oxygen is breathed in by animals, exhaled as carbon dioxide...repeat...

Humans are the only animals* that take all that locked up carbon (oil) combine it with oxygen (just like when we breathe) and release Carbon Dioxide...if there were enough plants on the planet they would strip that CO2 out and balance out the Oxygen...But that's not possible now because humans are stripping the earth of the huge forests that do that for us...

It's not that anyone can deny that we have increased CO2...nor can they deny that this has some impact globally...and would be a nice thing to halt...it's the level to which this is affecting the world...

Romney is merely stating the WISEST thing anyone can...Don't deny it and don't label it as the ONLY cause...just say it is a % w/ out committing to a number...It's a cool move for a GOP guy

*except for those damn beavers cutting down all our forests!

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Is that the best they dug up from those 20,000 some odd emails? Wow.

But yes, I did read the highlights of the Palin e-mails...but I had to stop because I was starting to really like her.
She probably would've made a fine moderate candidate if she hadn't taken the right turn to Derpstown.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Humans are the only animals* that take all that locked up carbon (oil) combine it with oxygen (just like when we breathe) and release Carbon Dioxide...if there were enough plants on the planet they would strip that CO2 out and balance out the Oxygen...But that's not possible now because humans are stripping the earth of the huge forests that do that for us...
What about every single animal that eats plants and converts them into methane?

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
While it's true that the hypothesis that CO2 levels in the atmosphere lead to somewhat higher temperature has enough evidence behind it to be accepted, and that human industry has increased CO2 levels, neither of those two findings affects human societies in any significant way.

They're not political issues unless we allow people like Romney to become involved. Any time a politician cites that science, his intentions become clear to anyone with half a brain. Please, please, conservatives, don't vote for Romney. If he wins. he's just going to keep this madness going (along with socialized medicine) and cause more harm to American industry and the overall economy.

Libertarian minded opinion makers have no problem with allowing scientists the freedom to continue their research. The problem started when environmentalists who are against industry on principle hijacked this basic, and not very significant scientific finding and, sponsored by power hungry politicians, built an obviously false AGW theory that make some unscientific claims (which, recent evidence has proven, aren't just honest mistakes but amount to deliberate fraud):

1. To know for a fact the exact amount of warming since the 19th century.
2. To know for a fact or with high probability the future effects of projected CO2 and methane emissions (based on imperfect and contradictory computer models in which deliberately fraudulent data was introduced to begin with).
3. To know for a fact the effects of warming on weather.
4. The arbitrary claim, whenever a natural disaster occurs, that it's caused by global warming.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
He's a fucking Mormon. He'll say anything to appeal to people that "don't understand his greater truth" for their own good.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I saw of historic temperature trends (I guess they look at rock or some shit) when you consider millions of years our planet is actually roughly 20 degrees cooler than the average (over those millions of years) right now. The reason the planet is slowly warming is we've been slowly coming out of an ice age over the last 10,000 years.

I use to have a bunch of material on this, but don't have time to look for it now because I have to drive to Oregon. Just made sense to me.

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
Global warming may be a sinking ship but dammit, Mitt Romney is still going to ride it to victory! Or sink. Definitely one or the other.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
Didn't John Mccain say the same thing in 2008?

yep.

Both candidates say that human-caused climate change is real and urgent,......Mr. McCain, of Arizona, has repeatedly pointed to his longtime focus on global warming, including a fact-finding trip with other lawmakers to the thawing Arctic and his co-authorship, in 2003, of the first comprehensive legislation seeking mandatory limits on heat-trapping gases.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/us/politics/19climate.html

I know, I know.. it from the NYT... which means its not true :wavy guy: