Models

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
anyone else mess around with model airplanes? Years ago I used to fiddle with RC airplanes and helicopters but I always crashed them, so I gave them away, and when I was a kid my daddy would build plastic car models with me (insert shitty pedo joke) since I'm retired, and have disposable income, I've decided to start building balsa wood scale models again, oddly they are kind of cheep, 10-20$ and if you are so inclined you can actually put little motors on them like those bastard little cox fuckers my poor old non mechanical father could never get to run, one of my goals in life was to make those fuckers work, and I can, being I have retard patience, which my father was lacking when it came to those little monsters, I've actually found some inexpensive ones (cox stopped making them at least 10 years ago but they are still available) they are not remote control but tethered and you spin around like a retard.

So here is the first one, i bought it years ago when I tried to get my son interested, which was a failure after 20 minutes into the first build, so I shelved it.

I ordered 3 more of different planes, most likely I will build one, screw it up and toss them in the horde pile

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
I've built a few balsa rubber powered models, and a couple R/C planes (powered and a glider). Never liked the idea of spinning around for the control line stuff. The rubber powered stuff was tissue covered and suprisingly strong. If I had the time I'd probably do it again. All of the R/C stuff these days is pretty much ready to fly out of the box and building it was always a good portion of the fun.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Messed around with those monster truck RC (HPI Savage) nitro powered gas RC about 10 years ago. Miss the sound and smell of those little engines and bashing the trucks was a blast. Jumping them +20' in the air which meant broken parts on missed landings. Not a cheap hobby or meant for someone not mechanically inclined.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Finding the little motors is proving to be a tad bit of an issue, I will put on my old man hat and pull the "I remember when" you could pick up a ..o1 cox engine for 10$ At any hobby shop the smallest ones I can find for cheep are about 50$ and that's from eBay which I dont trust for shit, why is it that now that I have the money and time, all the shit I used to love is either too expensive or, is a pain in the ass, I did find a guy that makes itty bitty ones but they are retarded expensive and apparently although they do run they ar finicky and have a limited life span
http://www.ronald-valentine-engines.com/Valentine_Engines.html

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I did some RC and worked with an older guy who did the control line planes before that. He said you don't spin in a circle, you stand still and loop the plane this way and that and when you land the lines aren't even twisted. I never saw him fly so I don't know. When I was a kid I had the Cox Red Baron biplane and never got the engine to start. The bigger the engine the easier they run and that tiny 0.020 was shit. My favorite was a big RC airboat that would slide out of the pond and across the pasture then jump back in again.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002

Because every 12 year old boy should love WW2 war birds

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ

Because every 12 year old boy should love WW2 war birds
i had a shit ton of WWII models when i was a kid (non flying models). in my teens i must of spent a years worth of time just painting them. i even had a 3ft wide model of the enola gay

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
i had a shit ton of WWII models when i was a kid (non flying models). in my teens i must of spent a years worth of time just painting them. i even had a 3ft wide model of the enola gay
I had that one too, not 3ft but big, and plastic, I always thought the wood and tissue ones like better. I'm going to root through my piles of shit at my house and see if I can dig up my old air brush, or just buy a new one. Probably the latter since they are cheep and usually quite delicate, I've broken a few over the years

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I had that one too, not 3ft but big, and plastic, I always thought the wood and tissue ones like better. I'm going to root through my piles of shit at my house and see if I can dig up my old air brush, or just buy a new one. Probably the latter since they are cheep and usually quite delicate, I've broken a few over the years
i had the shitty airbrush kit you can buy in the model isle at walmart when i was a teen. god was it a piece of shit but obv i was only like 12-13 so i coulldnt afford a real quality airbrush but i did alright with what i had. they didnt look picture worthy but better than if i had used a brush esp on the main bodies. i did buy a nice set of brushes to do the small details though. damn now i kinda wanna stop at walmart when i get done work and pick up some models and supplies. OH i forgot to say i did build a paper and wood model once. i hated it. the paper would just rip everytime i tried to touch it with a brush

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
You gotta take that plane, rip out the cockpit and replace it with a bulkier one, Need to fit an ork pilot in there. Cover the plane in armor plates. Gonna need a beefier propeller as well.

Some big shootas need to be attached to the nose and bombs need to be placed under the wings. Maybe even a smaller cockpit behind the main one with a grot in it, otherwise have one holding on with a chain.

Might have to bulk up that tail a bit as well, maybe add some burly hydraulics to the tail flaps.

Then rivets, of course. The tiny rivets need to be covered or sanded down and new, obvious rivets need to be added. A couple places should have some heavy welds as well. Perhaps some useless hanging chains.

Then you have to paint the whole thing red, 'cuz red ones go fasta. A few off color plates and a snarling face on the nose would not be remiss.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
i had the shitty airbrush kit you can buy in the model isle at walmart when i was a teen. god was it a piece of shit but obv i was only like 12-13 so i coulldnt afford a real quality airbrush but i did alright with what i had. they didnt look picture worthy but better than if i had used a brush esp on the main bodies. i did buy a nice set of brushes to do the small details though. damn now i kinda wanna stop at walmart when i get done work and pick up some models and supplies. OH i forgot to say i did build a paper and wood model once. i hated it. the paper would just rip everytime i tried to touch it with a brush

Ahhh there is a secret to that, you need to use "dope" not your favorite kind, but the stuff they put on the paper first it's like a lacquer that seals the paper so you can brush it, also there is a grain to the tissue paper and you need to kane sure it's going the right way or else it will rip every time, there is also a way to use a different type of tissue paper that you can buy at a card store that is heavier than the stuff that comes with the plane

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
Ahhh there is a secret to that, you need to use "dope" not your favorite kind, but the stuff they put on the paper first it's like a lacquer that seals the paper so you can brush it, also there is a grain to the tissue paper and you need to kane sure it's going the right way or else it will rip every time, there is also a way to use a different type of tissue paper that you can buy at a card store that is heavier than the stuff that comes with the plane
You can build a beautiful structure out of balsa and want to stomp on it after you fuck up covering it with tissue. Plus with the rubber powered stuff keeping it as light as possible is paramount so too much paint is a no no.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
The fuckers put capsaicin in it now, sons a bitches....
True story, a family friends' kid, died from huffing paint.

Poor bastard was in a no win situation, his dad was a drunkard FDNY. His two hobbies were drinking beer and watching the Islanders.

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
True story, a family friends' kid, died from huffing paint.

Poor bastard was in a no win situation, his dad was a drunkard FDNY. His two hobbies were drinking beer and watching the Islanders.
Ban paint! No wait, Ban Parents! Nope that won't work. Ban Models (but only the ones that use paint, not the female ones in swimsuits)! Seriously, I have some great memories building horrible examples of models with my dad helping but allowing me to make all of the mistakes and see the end result. He was the kind of builder whose finished plastic models were displayed in hobby shops. Miss that guy.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Ban paint! No wait, Ban Parents! Nope that won't work. Ban Models (but only the ones that use paint, not the female ones in swimsuits)! Seriously, I have some great memories building horrible examples of models with my dad helping but allowing me to make all of the mistakes and see the end result. He was the kind of builder whose finished plastic models were displayed in hobby shops. Miss that guy.
The Master builder, whose work should be preserved in a museum or two.

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
The Master builder, whose work should be preserved in a museum or two.
Nope. My mom probably told him "We don't have any room for your models.". He probably couldn't just throw them away after spending so many hours building them so he gave them to local hobby shops. Parents ended up divorced. Honestly, what the fuck are you going to do with an SR-71 model modified to be an A-12, or a B-52 with a 4' wingspan? Weird thing, he was a pacifist who loved military aircraft and had a very keen interest in early nuclear weapons. My stepmom once had to go through an FBI background check to buy him a book on the development of our first nuclear weapons as a christmas gift. Regardless, I miss him.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
An old man started building this place then died. I bought it and moved in. A lot of his junk was here. He built balsa models and a few were hanging from the trusses. Two friends were helping me drag in a huge gun safe and one backed into a big biplane and it crunched good. I screamed, "My plane! " He was horrified then I laughed.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
I found this hilarious I'm going to cross post it into things you find funny, its control line model racing, ironically what my end goal is with these little models is to rig them for control line flight, ass man, wants me to modify them for R/c but I don't want to do that.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
The fuckers put capsaicin in it now, sons a bitches....
I can't remember the last time I actually used model glue in a tube... when I was making 1/35 scale armor I used Tamyia liquid glue and for doing ships and planes (aka long seems) I had this plastic weld shit that.

Still have my badger Airbrush and compressor and shit... should set it up in the basement or something as I have a couple of half finished tanks in boxes.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
I found this hilarious I'm going to cross post it into things you find funny, its control line model racing, ironically what my end goal is with these little models is to rig them for control line flight, ass man, wants me to modify them for R/c but I don't want to do that.
How does one 'win' at this type of racing?

Looks like all you get is a bad case of the spins and some dude riding your ass.