Modern Family: Season Three

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
Two solid episodes to start the year off. Got into the show about midway through last year so I'm catching up on Seasons 1 and 2 via Netflix, or whatever the fuck its now called.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
This and Fringe are the two shows I know I should be watching, but haven't caught up and don't want to wait for the DVDs to arrive in the mail. Stupid Netflix Instant

flyerfan116

Fuckin savages
Apr 14, 2005
NJ
This and Fringe are the two shows I know I should be watching, but haven't caught up and don't want to wait for the DVDs to arrive in the mail. Stupid Netflix Instant
I definitely recommend it, check out Hulu too...i think they have a lot of the older episodes.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Some is not all!

flyerfan116

Fuckin savages
Apr 14, 2005
NJ
Some is better than none :thumbsup:

salz4life

May 11, 2007
Fox Lake, IL
Season 1 of Modern Family is excellent. IMO, Season 2, while still solid, seemed to not be as good. I enjoyed both episodes last night.

Dec 12, 2007
Is this show actually good? I always heard people say its good but when I ask them if they know always sunny most don't so I never gave it a chance.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
It's nowhere near as edgy as Sunny or Louie, but for a family sitcom it's got some great lines. I laugh at something every episode. 1000x better than any of the shitty CBS procedural comedies.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Is this show actually good? I always heard people say its good but when I ask them if they know always sunny most don't so I never gave it a chance.
I've heard enough good things from enough different people to at least convince me that this is a show I can at least tolerate in a non-ironic fashion. (Oh Walden Schmidt, dumb as a rock with a giant dick. What craziness will you get into next week!?)

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Ty Burrell is the shit. If I gave a shit about the Office anymore, he would be my first choice to replace Carrell.

Dec 12, 2007
It's nowhere near as edgy as Sunny or Louie, but for a family sitcom it's got some great lines.
Oh so its like an everybody loves Raymond kinda show? I'll stick with Always Sunny, Archer and Breaking Bad (I do laugh alot with BB) for comedy shows.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Oh so its like an everybody loves Raymond kinda show? I'll stick with Always Sunny, Archer and Breaking Bad (I do laugh alot with BB) for comedy shows.
No, it's nothing like Raymond. It's hard to describe, basically Ed Harris is the father/grandfather, and he has two kids who have their own families. One is a flamboyantly gay lawyer with a husband and adopted daughter, and the other is the hot blonde from Happy Gilmore who's married to a goofy as fuck real estate agent with 2 hot daughters and a funny son. There's no laugh track, and it's got some funny moments... It's definitely not a patronizing piece of shit like Raymond or King of Queens or those dogshit shows.

The only thing I really don't like about the show is Ed Harris's wife. She's too over-the-top for me, but after seeing her in a few interviews it seems like that's just the way she is. There's not enough hotness for me to ever put up with a bitch like that.

I don't know, I watch it. It's not my favorite, but it's on the DVR.

Dec 12, 2007
No, it's nothing like Raymond. It's hard to describe, basically Ed Harris is the father/grandfather, and he has two kids who have their own families. One is a flamboyantly gay lawyer with a husband and adopted daughter, and the other is the hot blonde from Happy Gilmore who's married to a goofy as fuck real estate agent with 2 hot daughters and a funny son.
I'm not sure thats my cup of tea.

salz4life

May 11, 2007
Fox Lake, IL
Ty Burrell is the shit. If I gave a shit about the Office anymore, he would be my first choice to replace Carrell.
You know what... I never even thought of him. He probably would've been a helluva replacement. I think Spader is going to do a good job, but The Office probably just needs to end.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I'm the same way. If I can't see all the episodes of a show I'm not jumping into it. I don't care even if there are no story arcs.
For something like a Three's Company or even a Perfect Strangers I can just say "fuck it, syndication whatever" but for something more recently and supposedly of quality like Modern Family, I need to be in it from the beginning. I'm not going to watch 2 episodes of halfway through season 2 and then get into season 3. I need to go on the journey. Hell, when I decided to get into Doctor Who I watched from An Unearthly Child onward, though I did end up watching the newer series simultaneously.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
For something like a Three's Company or even a Perfect Strangers I can just say "fuck it, syndication whatever" but for something more recently and supposedly of quality like Modern Family, I need to be in it from the beginning. I'm not going to watch 2 episodes of halfway through season 2 and then get into season 3. I need to go on the journey. Hell, when I decided to get into Doctor Who I watched from An Unearthly Child onward, though I did end up watching the newer series simultaneously.
There's not much of a journey... I mean, there's an ongoing story line, but it's not necessarily needed in the progression.

You're an OCD tele/cinephile, so by all means catch it from day one, but don't feel the need to skip re-runs or new episodes because you're not caught up.

It has a very Married With Children vibe that way. Every episode stands on it's own, but Bud and Kelly get older over time, and Marcy might upgrade husbands.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Jefferson was a downgrade. Steve was better.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
but Jefferson had that full head of Donald Trump doage.
A Donald Trump hair joke? Everyone point and laugh AT Voss's Tumor. You are the weakest link!