Mohegan Sun attendees: Will you give Frank Caliendo the benefit of the doubt?

Tryaluckystrike

Feb 19, 2007
Looking forward to the Virus tour tomorrow night. However, I'm a bit concerned about how the overall crowd will act towards Frank Caliendo after his ill-received performance at the Jones Beach show.

I'm hoping that those that don't like his performance take a piss break or just keep silent, but I doubt that will happen.

Knowing that this guy isn't really an O&A regular, what do you expect out of him if you're not to boo? Will he have to have new material (no Bush or Madden impersonations?) Can he still work clean and get the respect of the crowd? Since a lot of significant others and late night TV viewers might actually enjoy his impersonations on MadTV, will you allow them to enjoy that portion of the show without turning on him?

Jones Beach really sounded to me like a mob rules situation. I for one don't care much for Bob Kelly and he's the comedian I'm least looking forward to seeing. But if I don't enjoy his act, I'm not going to boo not only because it impacts others' good time, but because he's a favorite of the O&A crowd. You think this crowd will be more laid back?

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
I can't believe he hasn't quit the tour yet. I saw him at the Vegas show and here is how it will go down. Madden to Bush to Pacino with a combination of all of them to finish.

Tryaluckystrike

Feb 19, 2007
I can't believe he hasn't quit the tour yet. I saw him at the Vegas show and here is how it will go down. Madden to Bush to Pacino with a combination of all of them to finish.
Right, but if it's funny does it matter? And if it isn't, is it worth booing over and roooooooooooooning others' good time?

DanfromBoston

My health won't allow it
Nov 15, 2006
Looking forward to the Virus tour tomorrow night. However, I'm a bit concerned about how the overall crowd will act towards Frank Caliendo after his ill-received performance at the Jones Beach show.

I'm hoping that those that don't like his performance take a piss break or just keep silent, but I doubt that will happen.

Knowing that this guy isn't really an O&A regular, what do you expect out of him if you're not to boo? Will he have to have new material (no Bush or Madden impersonations?) Can he still work clean and get the respect of the crowd? Since a lot of significant others and late night TV viewers might actually enjoy his impersonations on MadTV, will you allow them to enjoy that portion of the show without turning on him?

Jones Beach really sounded to me like a mob rules situation. I for one don't care much for Bob Kelly and he's the comedian I'm least looking forward to seeing. But if I don't enjoy his act, I'm not going to boo not only because it impacts others' good time, but because he's a favorite of the O&A crowd. You think this crowd will be more laid back?
Dude how could you not like Bob Kelly?

The Godfather

Spark it up for The Godfather and say!!!!!
May 9, 2007
Does anyone know if cameras will be permited in the arena?

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
I for one don't care much for Bob Kelly and he's the comedian I'm least looking forward to seeing. But if I don't enjoy his act, I'm not going to boo not only because it impacts others' good time, but because he's a favorite of the O&A crowd. You think this crowd will be more laid back?
you might be surprised. I was never a big fan of him in studio but was shocked at how good he was on stage.

badcellphoneguy

Kansas City...Kansas City here they come!
Jul 18, 2005
Wantagh, LI

Just dont forget him racing through the last part of his schtick.

Creeping Douche

"And this guy's sayin', whaddya want from me?"
May 10, 2006
Nassau Cunty
i may go, i don't know if i feel like making the drive though......

I would cheer for him though, gotta give him respect for his talent.

Nov 11, 2005
He seems like a pleasant enough guy, I just hate any act that revolves entirely around impressions. To his credit, his impressions are pretty good and from my dogshit seat he didn't take a beating anywhere close to the one Jimmy Shubert & Dom Irrera took in Camden last year.

I like the guy. He doesn't deserve to get slammed. Maybe not a standing o, but why shit on him?

Here's the thing that the "boo-ers" don't get. It should be saved for someone who REALLY sucks so bad they dont even belong on a stage, which really doesn't happen at O&A events (okay maybe that guy whose name I don't remember at Camden deserved it, but nobody else has).

When you boo-- you blow it for other people who are there to see that comic. I'd also bet money that when you boo, you make EVERYONE ELSE who has to go on after them-- including O&A-- really anxious. I'm also willing to bet that throws them off their game and means your fucking with the entire show that you paid $$ to see. And if O&A shows get a rep for the crowd tearing comics apart, it may mean next year other comics dont want to do the show.

Just my two cents.

Little Chuckie

Jul 21, 2005
I didn't laugh once at his part during the Jones Beach show, but he doen't deserve to get booed. He doesn't belong on the tour doing the same old shit, but the boys do take care of their friends; so I just take it as a chance to catch my breath for the laughter to come after he is done.

I'll be at Mohegan, no laughter will get the point made much clearer than boos.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
I figured he would be enjoying his open weekends like Burr.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
I like the guy. He doesn't deserve to get slammed. Maybe not a standing o, but why shit on him?

Here's the thing that the "boo-ers" don't get. It should be saved for someone who REALLY sucks so bad they dont even belong on a stage, which really doesn't happen at O&A events (okay maybe that guy whose name I don't remember at Camden deserved it, but nobody else has).

When you boo-- you blow it for other people who are there to see that comic. I'd also bet money that when you boo, you make EVERYONE ELSE who has to go on after them-- including O&A-- really anxious. I'm also willing to bet that throws them off their game and means your fucking with the entire show that you paid $$ to see. And if O&A shows get a rep for the crowd tearing comics apart, it may mean next year other comics dont want to do the show.

Just my two cents.
2 cents? as usual girl, that's more like a quarter:action-sm

but very true. the only time i have ever been to a non sporting event where boo'ing was justified was the RATM concert in camden when they brought up the family of Mumia..... fucking cop killer

Steam

May 18, 2003
I'm going and will not boo. I've seen some bad comedians in my day but I've never booed. I might just sit there silent but I'm not going to boo.

Jun 29, 2005
MA
2 cents? as usual girl, that's more like a quarter:action-sm

but very true. the only time i have ever been to a non sporting event where boo'ing was justified was the RATM concert in camden when they brought up the family of Mumia..... fucking cop killer
Did people actually start booing Buster? God, i hope so. Though my guess would be most of the apologetic white guilt ridden assholes at the show praised the family even though deep down they disagreed. please tell me they booed

N

Nevada Redd

Hey dont forget Farley. Hes decent if youve never seen his act before but if youve ever seen him on MadTV or any late night show its the same old act. Dont be a shitdick and boo the guy just its the best time in the show to go get a beer or take a piss.

Dec 18, 2005
Huntington, New York
Wasn't very good at Jones Beach. He got called on his act by the upper right deck, and it was at that point he started sweating profusely through his act, dripping onto the stage.

I expected him to be great, and he fell short, but the worst part was he blamed the best crowd a comic could possibly have. That sunk him even more and the audience wasn't buying into his games at that point. I didn't boo him, nor did he deserve it initially, but for a couple lines it looked like he was going to go into a Bill Burr in Philly on the crowd. Not a way to convert an audience and not a way to get respect from the best crowd possible in comedy.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
Did people actually start booing Buster? God, i hope so. Though my guess would be most of the apologetic white guilt ridden assholes at the show praised the family even though deep down they disagreed. please tell me they booed
yeah they did. it really fucking pissed me off because it was right in the middle of the show when they stopped to bring them out on stage.

Rackrunner

I am now Zombie Overlord, thanks to Wes Mantooth
Nov 19, 2005
I didn't boo him, nor did he deserve it initially, but for a couple lines it looked like he was going to go into a Bill Burr in Philly on the crowd. Not a way to convert an audience and not a way to get respect from the best crowd possible in comedy.
That would have really been something if he went Bill Burr on everyone, since the guy works clean all the time. In all the times I've seen or heard him, he has never swore.

Hoo Hoo Howie

ohhhhhh nooooo.... I earned that Caaaaake!
Dec 13, 2004
Congers, NY - Rockland County
I like Frank Caliendo a lot and think he does some pretty spot on voices, but at Jones Beach, I couldn't believe that he was actually doing an entire bit that you can watch in it's entirety on his own website, and all over YouTube. There was not one current reference.. everything was old shit.
George Bush to Bill Clinton, to Madden, to Pacino. It didn't help that it was still sunny out and you couldn't see the video close-ups of his face. You need to see the guy's face to appreciate some of his comedy because a lot of his facial expressions are important to the impressions.

He's gotta bring some new shit to the stage this time. I can see why those few people who were booing did it (even though I didn't agree with it). I just think booing at an O&A show is bullshit to begin with. Like someone else here said.. just go get a beer, or just wait for the next comic.

monkeyjuice

Savage Animall!!!
Dec 30, 2005
He's a fucking hack. Every boo/heckle he gets is well deserved.

CaraC

A real giirrrrllllllllllllllllll
Jun 1, 2005
MA
I will listen and laugh if I think its funny... if its not (which I predict), I wont... Im not gonna waste any of his fans time by booing, not worth it