Mom arrested for allegedly letting her 10 year old child get a tattoo

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
No need to play GTR and Im not spoiler tagging every occurrence of their names.

A Cobb County mother was charged with misdemeanor child cruelty after she allegedly let her 10-year-old son get a tattoo in memory of his deceased brother, Channel 2 Action News reported.
Enlarge photo
Chuntera Napier (left) of Acworth and her 10-year-old son, Gaquan, show off the tattoos they got to remember the woman's other son, Malik, who was struck and killed by a motorist in Macon about two years ago. Napier has since been arrested. State law prohibits tattoos for persons under the age of 18.
Channel 2 Action News, Channel 2 Action News Chuntera Napier (left) of Acworth and her 10-year-old son, Gaquan, show off the tattoos they got to remember the woman's other son, Malik, who was struck and killed by a motorist in Macon about two years ago. Napier has since been arrested. State law prohibits tattoos for persons under the age of 18.

Chuntera Napier, of Acworth, told Channel 2 that her 12-year-old son, Malik, was struck and killed by a motorist in Macon about two years ago, and her other son, Gaquan, wanted a tattoo like hers to remember his older brother by.

“My son came to me and said, ‘Mama, I want to get a tattoo with Malik on it, rest in peace,'” Napier said. “It made me feel good to know to know that he wanted his brother on him.”

She said she did not know it is illegal in Georgia to tattoo anyone under the age of 18.

“What do I say to a child who wants to remember his brother? It’s not like he’s asking me if can I get him a Sponge Bob,” she said. “He’s asking me for something that’s in remembrance of his brother. Well, how do I tell a child no?”

Napier took her son to a tattoo artist in Smyrna. When the child went to school, someone noticed the tattoo and called authorities.

The mother was arrested Tuesday and spent that day and Wednesday morning in jail. In addition to the child cruelty count, she was charged with being a party to a crime. She has since been released to await a March court hearing.

“I always thought if a parent gives consent, then it’s fine,” Napier said. “How can somebody else say it’s not OK? He’s my child, and I have a right to say what I want for my child.”

Acworth police Chief Mike Wilkie disagreed. He told Channel 2 that police had no choice but to arrest Napier after investigating and consulting with the Cobb County District Attorney’s Office and Solicitor’s Office.

“We hope they can find something that can sustain them through that loss, but this is not the way, and it is illegal, and it was something we were bound by the law to investigate and to prosecute,” Wilkie said.

Police now want to speak with the person who allegedly applied the tattoo to Gaquan.

Other parents have been arrested before in Georgia for allegedly giving their children tattoos.

Last April, a man in Floyd County, in northwest Georgia, was found guilty of giving a tattoo to a person under 18 after he tattooed “DB,” for “Daddy’s Boy,” on the shoulder of his 3-year-old son. He was sentenced to 12 months’ probation and fined $300.

About two years ago, a couple in Summerville, also in northwest Georgia, were arrested and charged with cruelty to children, reckless conduct and illegal tattooing after they allegedly gave all six of their youngsters, ages 10 to 17, small cross tattoos.
Video in the Link.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Just based on the thread title, I might have guessed white trash.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
So what? Why arrest her for that? Are we going to also ban piercing kids' ears now? What about circumcision?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
It's not like it was a gang tattoo. He got it to remember his dead brother. Has context become entirely irrelevant in our society?

Aug 11, 2005
shouldn't be arrested , I think it's fucked up but it's none of my business

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
Again, Cobb County = Shwoogieland. Anything and everything coming out of that Festering Abscess part of the world either has to do with Depression, Apathy, Violence, or something awful. Those are it's chief exports.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
It's not like it was a gang tattoo. He got it to remember his dead brother. Has context become entirely irrelevant in our society?
Not when there are laws and OH MY GOD THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!! The dude who inked the kid is going to be honing his craft with a ball point pen and a sewing needle for a couple years, those yokel bible thumpers are going to set up a witch hunt for the artist.

shouldn't be arrested , I think it's fucked up but it's none of my business
Holy shit, mark the calendar, I agree with something BB posted.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
There are other and better ways to remember the life of a dead sibling.
That's true. They should've just put one of those "In Memory Of..." window stickers on their car instead. Does anyone else find those things as reprehensible as I do?

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Im not spoiler tagging every occurrence of their names.
:haha7:

Chuntera Napier (left) of Acworth and her 10-year-old son, Gaquan
So they're naming their kids after the gutteral sound they make when pushing their little offspring through the birth canal?
:haha7:

I agree, but I think 10 is a bit too young for something permanent like that. But what do I know, here in California you can't even let your kid go to a tanning booth anymore, even with parental consent.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
There are other and better ways to remember the life of a dead sibling.
Not when there are laws and OH MY GOD THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!! The dude who inked the kid is going to be honing his craft with a ball point pen and a sewing needle for a couple years, those yokel bible thumpers are going to set up a witch hunt for the artist.
I agree, but I think 10 is a bit too young for something permanent like that. But what do I know, here in California you can't even let your kid go to a tanning booth anymore, even with parental consent.
Look, I'm not saying it's a smart thing, or even that it should be legal, bur arresting the mother? This is a perfect example of a case where the tattoo artist should be fined and/or get his license suspended/revoked (if you even need a license for that shit). If we're now arresting parents for stupid decisions, then why are all those people who don't vaccinate their children running free? The reaction just strikes me as a bit excessive. Tattoos can be removed, you know.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Look, I'm not saying it's a smart thing, or even that it should be legal, bur arresting the mother? This is a perfect example of a case where the tattoo artist should be fined and/or get his license suspended/revoked (if you even need a license for that shit). If we're now arresting parents for stupid decisions, then why are all those people who don't vaccinate their children running free? The reaction just strikes me as a bit excessive. Tattoos can be removed, you know.
Why should the tattoo artist get in trouble if he had the parent's permission? I agree that it's a bit excessive to arrest her, but if it's against the law to tattoo a kid that young, how do you hold her accountable? A civil judgement? :haha7:

Edit:
It looks like Georgia doesn't even allow it with parental consent unless it's by a doctor, so it looks like the artist is fucked now.
http://www.everytattoo.com/georgialaw.shtml

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Arresting the mother does seem excessive. But some times when people lack basic common sense, you have to knock it into them. The people who don't get their kids vaccinated should fall under the same category.

I agree about the tattoo artist having his license revoked. Since there is a health risk with tattoos, I think the artists are required to have licenses.

As for having the tattoo removed, from what I can understand that's no walk in park. Then there is the question of who is going to pay for it.

Aug 11, 2005
Arresting the mother does seem excessive. But some times when people lack basic common sense, you have to knock it into them. The people who don't get their kids vaccinated should fall under the same category.

I agree about the tattoo artist having his license revoked. Since there is a health risk with tattoos, I think the artists are required to have licenses.

As for having the tattoo removed, from what I can understand that's no walk in park. Then there is the question of who is going to pay for it.
boy oh boy look at the tax money trail

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Why should the tattoo artist get in trouble if he had the parent's permission? I agree that it's a bit excessive to arrest her, but if it's against the law to tattoo a kid that young, how do you hold her accountable? A civil judgement? :haha7:
I find the tattoo guy more culpable than the mother, assuming that tattooing a 10-year-old is illegal. All the mother did here was make a stupid decision. If it isn't illegal, then why arrest the mother?

Yeah, I'm kind of ambivalent about this, I guess. One of those cases where I'm not entirely sure how I feel.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I find the tattoo guy more culpable than the mother, assuming that tattooing a 10-year-old is illegal. All the mother did here was make a stupid decision. If it isn't illegal, then why arrest the mother?
Exactly, the guy tattooing could have easily said "No thanks" and that would have been the end of it. Then again there would more than likely be another artist who would think it was a good idea and ink the kid.

Jan 9, 2006
Delmar, NY
They are required to have licenses, and they get inspected by the health department, at least here in NY. That being said, what makes you think for a second that the person that gave this kid a tattoo had a license? I'd bet 50:1 the person that did it wasn't licensed in any way.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
They are required to have licenses, and they get inspected by the health department, at least here in NY. That being said, what makes you think for a second that the person that gave this kid a tattoo had a license? I'd bet 50:1 the person that did it wasn't licensed in any way.
I'm pretty confident that the guy doesn't have a license.