Mom, Told Son He Had Cancer In Scam

Dec 8, 2004
Maine

A New Jersey mom is accused of convincing friends and even her own son that he had cancer in an effort to collect cash from duped well wishers.

Susan Stillwaggon, 35, was charged by Pennsauken police with theft by deception and endangering the welfare of a child on Thursday, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

She allegedly told her 9-year-old son as well as "officials at his school, her husband, and others that the youngster had stage-3 Hodgkin's lymphoma," authorities told the Inquirer. Police say they verified through medical records that the child does not actually have cancer.

Stillwaggon took in $3,500 through fundraisers for her child, according to police.
CBS Philadelphia spoke with a woman who identified herself as Stillwaggon's mom. She told a reporter that her daughter is in a psychiatric ward.

"I will just tell you that my daughter is sick, something snapped in her head, don’t know what, that’s why she is where she is so we can find out what’s wrong,” the woman said.

The Stir's Kiri Blakeley expressed her disgust thusly:
It's bad enough to use cancer to try and get sympathy and collect money with such a depraved scheme -- but to convince your own child he has cancer?! What?!​
Link

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
'

Well she obviously didn't spend the money on grounds keeping...

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
She must have done it wrong, it was funny on 'Shameless'

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
It's bad enough to use cancer to try and get sympathy and collect money with such a depraved scheme -- but to convince your own child he has cancer?! What?!
My mommy convinced me that I was special and talented, but she never convinced anybody else.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
How can she be endangering the welfare of a child?

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
When she convinced the child that he had cancer it caused emotional damage which by definition endangers the well being of said child.
If this "emotional damage" constitutes child abuse, every parent is guilty in some form or fashion.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
If this "emotional damage" constitutes child abuse, every parent is guilty in some form or fashion.
Yelling at your kid for fucking up or for some other problem is one thing - convincing them they have a fatal form of cancer is another.

I spanked my kid when she needed it. I chewed her ass out when she got too old for spanking. She is no more emotionally damaged then any other successful adult that is well adjusted and goal oriented.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
Yelling at your kid for fucking up or for some other problem is one thing - convincing them they have a fatal form of cancer is another.

I spanked my kid when she needed it. I chewed her ass out when she got too old for spanking. She is no more emotionally damaged then any other successful adult that is well adjusted and goal oriented.
I mean what's too old for spanking. My girlfriend is 22 and loves a good bottom paddling.