Moneyball - Staring Fat Jonah Hill

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Went and saw this today. First it was kind of odd seeing Fat Jonah Hill in the movie after seeing "I'm dying of AIDS skinny" Jonah doing all the press.

He should have stayed fat[ter]...

I had pretty high expectations for the movie, and I think I thought it was just alright. I've read the book, am obsessed with baseball and stats, so I know the story pretty well. But, I think if you haven't read the book and maybe don't know the whole back story it's going to just come off odd. More of just a bio-pic maybe about Beane, but kind of a boring one?

I don't know, it just seemed hard to shove the whole book or idea into a 2 hour movie. Brad Pitt was good, Jonah was good, but the movie kind of lacked something, or some of the nuances and deeper stuff.

Obviously you have to develop stuff quicker in a movie, but it was like "Scouts Bad!" "Billy was a failed player" "A's have no monies"

I did like how the movie made Art Howe look like a retard who wrongfully got credit, and only succeeded once he gave in to being Billy's puppet.

6/10 on my non existing scale.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
So since I never read the book, don't really give a shit about baseball, and don't know the story they're telling I should end up 8/10?

Only movie preview I've seen in a long time that made me want to see it.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
See I'd say it was the opposite. If I didn't know anything going in, I think I'd be completely bored. Like the whole time I was like, oh yeah, he traded for that guy bc this, or that happened because this, but I feel like the movie didn't really do a great job explaining or setting things up.

I could be wrong, but I'd assume anyone who isn't like a diehard fan would be like "Meh"
But perhaps I was watching it from that perspective, and the movie itself was good enough

lockjaaaaww

All out of Bubble Gum.
Apr 26, 2008
bohemia, ny
I'm somewhat interested, I just wish they didn't have Pitt play Bean as the cool rebellious GM.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I liked it. I didn't think it was great but, from a non-sports perspective, I thought it was pretty good.

I'm somewhat interested, I just wish they didn't have Pitt play Bean as the cool rebellious GM.
I know that's how the promos are playing him out to be, but in the film he really isn't this at all; it's more a facade.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
I loved this movie. I found it to be a good character study of Beane. Wish they kind of focused more on stats though. Also surprising they didn't focus on Miguel Tejada at all... He was the friggin' MVP that year.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I loved this movie. I found it to be a good character study of Beane. Wish they kind of focused more on stats though. Also surprising they didn't focus on Miguel Tejada at all... He was the friggin' MVP that year.
That's because Tejada was excused from the team for not being a sabermetric geek's wet dream. They chose instead to lock up Eric Chavez to a franchise-crippling long term deal. I'm guessing the movie doesn't cover how the A's put together a good couple of years, but made horrible decisions like that one that have led to them being a failing franchise for the past 7 years.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
That's because Tejada was excused from the team for not being a sabermetric geek's wet dream. They chose instead to lock up Eric Chavez to a franchise-crippling long term deal. I'm guessing the movie doesn't cover how the A's put together a good couple of years, but made horrible decisions like that one that have led to them being a failing franchise for the past 7 years.
Nope. Story is team gutted in 2001 (by gutted, Damon, Giambi and Isringhausen leave) and rebuilt in 2002 focusing on 3 players: Hatteberg, Justice and Chad Bradford.

If you follow baseball, you'll shake you head about having 3 people make a team (especially how they fail to mention how strong the starting rotation is), but as a movie, it works.

Re: Tejada... You can't walk off an island.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Nope. Story is team gutted in 2001 (by gutted, Damon, Giambi and Isringhausen leave) and rebuilt in 2002 focusing on 3 players: Hatteberg, Justice and Chad Bradford.

If you follow baseball, you'll shake you head about having 3 people make a team (especially how they fail to mention how strong the starting rotation is), but as a movie, it works.

Re: Tejada... You can't walk off an island.
So we don't get to see "The Flip"?

I think that's why I'm having a hard time getting behind this film. The baseball fan in me knows how flawed a system money ball is. I also know that the main reason why the As' were so successful in those years was because of Hudson, Mulder, and Zito. Finally, the farthest As' got in the playoffs was the ALCS. So its not like at the end this movie Billy Beane is hoisting up the trophy.

The facts behind the story won't allow me to accept the possibility that this story works as movie.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
Beane turning down the Red Sox doesn't make him admirable. It makes him an idiot.

iSpeakEloquent

HENRIK LUUUUUUUUUUUNDQVIST
Sep 3, 2004
Smithtown, NY
So we don't get to see "The Flip"?

I think that's why I'm having a hard time getting behind this film. The baseball fan in me knows how flawed a system money ball is. I also know that the main reason why the As' were so successful in those years was because of Hudson, Mulder, and Zito. Finally, the farthest As' got in the playoffs was the ALCS. So its not like at the end this movie Billy Beane is hoisting up the trophy.

The facts behind the story won't allow me to accept the possibility that this story works as movie.
maybe my memory fails me but didn't the A's never make it past the first round in those years? Didn't they blow 2-0 series leads in the ALDS to the yanks and sox?

Beane turning down the Red Sox doesn't make him admirable. It makes him an idiot.
to his credit if he took the job and failed he would be treated like we treat glen sather

So Howe is annoyed, calls the portrayal "character assassination"
http://www.insidebayarea.com/athletics/ci_18984557
howe is a douche, still hate him ever since they played the yanks in the ALDS and after blowing a 2-0 lead he couldn't give credit to anyone on the yankees including mariano rivera.

Matt4105

May 5, 2009
Rochester
Read the book and loved the movie. Brad Pitt was good and I was surprised how good hill was.