Monitor as TV?

Fr. Dougal

Not TV as monitor...

I just got a new widescreen monitor for my desktop, and so I have a 19" regular LCD sitting around doing nothing.

I'd like to use it as a second TV, for my bedroom or something. Is there a cable out there that'll convert a regular composite video cable to a DVI input? I found Component-to-DVI cables... but I haven't found a regular RCA-video composite to DVI cable/adaptor yet...

Anyone know if it even exists?

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Get a TV tuner for your PC.
I think hes wanting to just use the monitor stand alone, not with a PC.

Youd have to have not only a converter, but a way to change channels. Do you have a cable box in that room, too?

jackjack

I've had one of these for a year or so and am very happy with it.

http://www.aver.com/mpd/tvbox9.html

It only has VGA output, no DVI, but other than that it is a nice unit.
Comes with a remote, has a cable tuner, composite, component input.

Fr. Dougal

Wooden is right...

I have an extra flat-screen monitor that I want to use as a TV. No computer anywhere in sight.

I just want to hook up the video output from my cable box to this Dell monitor.

"The bleedin' computer doesn't enter into it!"

Fr. Dougal

Thanks dude. This is close to what I'm looking for. Now wondering if I can just use an adaptor instead of a whole box.

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
you mean something like this? video2vga

also check out National Console Support click on XBOX 360 Hardware and scroll down.

i couldn't tell you the 1st thing about the first link but i have dealt with national console support and they are reliable and quick as hell plus the one NCS sells is 50 bucks

Razor Roman

MJMandalayForPresident2024
Thanks dude. This is close to what I'm looking for. Now wondering if I can just use an adaptor instead of a whole box.
need a whole box. a composite video signal is an analog video signal, with all color and sync information smooshed onto one wire. It has nothing in common with a DVI signal which is basically a digital pixel by pixel map of what's supposed to go on the screen.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
I think hes wanting to just use the monitor stand alone, not with a PC.

Youd have to have not only a converter, but a way to change channels. Do you have a cable box in that room, too?
I realize that, but you can't use you monitor for your PC and Cable at the same time. And with windows media center, you can use it like a TiVo. Just thought that it would be the better route.

Fr. Dougal

you mean something like this? video2vga

also check out National Console Support click on XBOX 360 Hardware and scroll down.

i couldn't tell you the 1st thing about the first link but i have dealt with national console support and they are reliable and quick as hell plus the one NCS sells is 50 bucks

Thanks dude! The NCS box looks good...

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
glad i could help.

if you live in the tri state area and ordered it today or the day you read my reply you should get it by wednesday.