Monitor "Popping" noise

Nothing Sound

Riding the Biggest Wave
Dec 9, 2004
Next to aleash
Right after I wake my monitor up from it's sleep mode it flickers around the edges on & off for about 30 seconds and then makes a fairly loud "popping" or "snapping" kind of noise, gives a big flicker and then all seems fine. Until of course I wake it up from sleep mode again. It's been doing this off and on for about 2 weeks now. Seems to be doing it more often lately.

Is she dying?

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Aug 20, 2004
is it a crt? I'm assuming yes. Prolly on it's way out.

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
Jul 27, 2006
jersey
id worry about a fire if i were you and throw the fucker out. sounds like a capacitor popped or something from your description.

Nothing Sound

Riding the Biggest Wave
Dec 9, 2004
Next to aleash
id worry about a fire if i were you and throw the fucker out. sounds like a capacitor popped or something from your description.
It wasn't one pop, it's done it quite a few
times over the past 2 weeks or so.
Probably about 6.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I would power it down when you aren't using it, instead of using any power-saving mode. Weirder things have happened...

Nothing Sound

Riding the Biggest Wave
Dec 9, 2004
Next to aleash
I would power it down when you aren't using it, instead of using any power-saving mode. Weirder things have happened...

Funny you say that.
I had to step out for a couple of hours and I did just that.
When I came back I powered it up and all appears to be fine.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Well, my advice was mainly to prevent an unfortunate incident/catastrophe, not as a suggested remedy. I'm inclined to believe that it'll start exhibiting the wacky behavior if you leave it on long enough and let it get good and warmed up.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah, 19" Dell Trinitron.

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a nice LCD. This could be my in.
I have the 20" version of it, and though it doesn't pop (yet) it is very faded, and takes damn near 3 minutes to fire up once I turn my PC on.

I'll be joining you on a new LCD soon nuff.

Slayback

The Host has removed you from the game.
Nov 13, 2006
Fucking Texas
Yeah, 19" Dell Trinitron.

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a nice LCD. This could be my in.
I had the same monitor and it made that popping sound for about 9 months and then it died. Now I have a fancy 20.5" WS Samsung LCD. Upgrade now, it's worth it.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I had that problem in a couple of monitors. One was a messed up degauss that would degauss it by itself. Another was a cold solder joint. The popping was a resistor lead arcing. I took it apart and put cover over myself and the montitor. That way, I saw about where the arcing was coming from and then looked for and found the bad solder joint and soldered it. Was a 15 minute repair.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I really don't recommend that course of action for most people. There's some hazardous voltages inside a CRT, and some of those capacitors remain hot for quite a while.

Nothing Sound

Riding the Biggest Wave
Dec 9, 2004
Next to aleash
I really don't recommend that course of action for most people. There's some hazardous voltages inside a CRT, and some of those capacitors remain hot for quite a while.

Trust me, I have no intention of doing anything like that.
It seems that once the monitor is warmed up it's fine. I've kept it
on all day and it hasn't had any problems. It only happens within the first 5 minutes
of being powered up. Not to worry, I'll be shopping this weekend for a new LCD.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
This reminds me that I need a new one. I have had this 17 inch Sony Trinitron that was rebranded as a Dell for about 10 years and on top of that I bought it used. It has done me right so far, but it really does stink compared to everything out there these days. I shouldn't be using the same monitor now that I used to use on my Cyrix 166.......

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I have seven really nice CRT monitors in my closet. Most of them are less than a few years old. People are just puting them out on the street. I've been getting them from friends who are upgrading to LCD monitors. I still like them for gaming and this way I should be covered for a few years.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
If anyone needs a freee/cheap monitor check your local craigslist. I see NIB (new in box) 19" CRT's all the time for less than $50 and tons of other cheap ones. Heck, there are often free ones on there as well.

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
Apr 6, 2005
I Will Pay Snakes To Bite You
Don’t listen to these guys; you obviously have an infestation of gum-popping monitor gnomes. Just put a pack of bubble-yum next to your monitor, pretend you are a desk lamp, and then smash the little fuckers with a brick when they try to sneak out to steal the gum.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
If anyone needs a freee/cheap monitor check your local craigslist. I see NIB (new in box) 19" CRT's all the time for less than $50 and tons of other cheap ones. Heck, there are often free ones on there as well.
Not a bad idea. I would love a 21 inch for dirt cheap.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I work in a test lab for one of the big 3. On my long walk out to the parking lot, I see big steel crate full of working 19-21 inch monitors that they are trashing because they are switching over to LCD and plasma displays.