Monopoly replacing one of its playing pieces

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Rest in pieces: Hasbro to replace a classic Monopoly game token

In many families, Monopoly fights start long before the property is purchased. Inevitably, every player wants the same playing piece.
Well, it's time to stand up for your beloved old boot or Scottie dog or thimble, because Hasbro is aiming to get rid of it.
The company has announced plans to upgrade Monopoly, which will include replacing one of the game's iconic tokens with a fancy new figurine.
Even worse, Hasbro is making you decide which one will go. From now through Feb. 5, fans can vote to save their favorite token -- and which new one will take the place of the least popular piece.
“The tokens are one of the most iconic parts of the Monopoly game and we know that people are emotionally tied to their favorite one,” Eric Nyman, senior vice president and global brand leader for Hasbro told the Daily Mail. “When we decided to replace one of the tokens in the game, we knew we had to involve our fans in the process. We can’t wait to see which iconic piece will ‘go to jail’ and which new token the fans will choose to become part of one of the world’s most popular games.”
The choices for the replacement piece include a helicopter, a diamond ring, a robot, a cat and a guitar.
The new Monopoly will arrive on store shelves toward the middle or end of the year, which could bring about a Twinkie-like rush on the original classic game.
Perhaps anticipating a backlash from traditionalists, though, Hasbro has already announced plans to release a “Golden Token Edition” later this year that will include all of the classic pieces as well as the five new tokens.
While the changes are bound to be harrowing for old-school players, it’s not the first time Hasbro has monkeyed with the game pieces. Three of the game's original tokens -- the purse, lantern and rocking horse -- were replaced in the 1950s by the dog, man on horseback, and wheelbarrow. Other tokens have appeared in the many editions of the game, including a locomotive and a sack of money.
Check out the possible replacements below, and cast your vote over on the Monopoly Facebook page.
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugge...ce-classic-monopoly-game-token-202310173.html

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
I usually picked the racecar. If that wasn't available, the ship. The hat is kinda cool looking, ya know, for a hat. Get rid of the iron, nobody wants to be the iron.

The helicopter is a good idea but theirs looks pretty lame:

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
The thimble was always lame but I see no reason to fuck
with a classic game like this. Leave it alone.
I've seen ads for Monopoly where you use a credit card instead of dollars, but I always felt like I learned about math (and stealing) with the dollar system. And what are you going to do with free parking and the crazy rules you and your opponents come up with?

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
I remember always playing the Cavalry piece

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Gunship will go..because it promotes violence...fucking hippies...

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Need to get rid of the cannon first.

I got a kindle for xmas and downloaded some shit called "Monopoly Millionaires" or some horseshit thinking it would be fun whilst on the throne. Hasbro has fucked around so much with the game its almost a totally different game. They can brand the original however the fuck they want but leave the original alone.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
Publicity stunt.
Time to dredge up some interest in the product.

They'll most likely decide to keep it the same.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Good point. That's probably true.
Need to get rid of the cannon first.
Gotta be the thimble or the iron. They're misogynistic. WAR ON WOMEN!!!
:meh:

Seriously? More bitching about the left?

When will you people learn that they'd never play a game that promotes earning lots of money and property in the first place.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Fucking 1% rigging beauty contests now. And you wonder why some fine nubian sisters can't make it in this world.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
:meh:

Seriously? More bitching about the left?

When will you people learn that they'd never play a game that promotes earning lots of money and property in the first place.
They only play for the FREE PARKING!!!

And to get those evil banksters to pay their fair share...

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Fucking Obama.

Though that is the best card for when you're losing horribly, as I am apt to do. It's the only thing that can possibly save you when you're down to like four properties, and the other person is surrounding the board with their houses/hotels. Because when you're at that point, nobody wants to do the math to figure out how much they sell each house/hotel back for. It's a win by default, the two sweetest words in the English language.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005

How come there's a white person in jail? Liberal propaganda garbage.

jrsaint

Feb 13, 2006
right behind you
I'm sick as a fuckin dog, so I'm just ranting. One of the little fuckin 5th graders must have forgotten to wash their hands after taking a shit.