More PC BS.

Aug 12, 2005
PA
I wasn't sure if I should put this in off topic or sports. Either way this is just ridiculous.

From Comcast:
I'm Still Calling Him PorkChopdate 12-06-2007 04:55 PM author Lee_Russakoff writes:
body America: The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave…as long as you don’t offend anyone.
Example:

The Lehigh Valley IronPigs, the Philadelphia Phillies’ new Triple-A affiliate, recently held a contest allowing fans to pick the name of its mascot. Over 7,300 fan submissions poured in; all vying for the opportunity to name the team’s oversized, furry, fun-loving pig.

The winning selection, PorkChop, only lasted a couple of days before the PC Police stepped in.

PorkChop is a great nickname. I’ve known a few guys who have picked up the nickname “Pork Chop” throughout my life, and all were oversized teddy bears.

Plus, the name makes some sense. A pork chop is a cut of pork, the mascot is a pig. It works on so many levels.

Great. End of story.

Not quite.

Unfortunately, PorkChop was sent to the slaughterhouse after just 48 hours of existence (maybe we should call him “VealChop”). Two days after announcing the moniker, the IronPigs renounced the name PorkChop and renamed their mascot “Ferrous.”

Why would they do that? Great question.

Ferrous is a terrible name. Not even in PorkChop’s league. A California Penal League handle…at best.

First, Ferrous is not the most kid-friendly nickname. There isn’t anything cuddly about a pig named Ferrous. Lehigh Valley might as well have named the pig “Organic Chemistry.”

On top of which, I get that ferrous means “of or containing iron,” but come on….no one wants to “think” when they’re hanging with a mascot. They want to laugh and have the furry guy blow “raspberries” on their stomachs. (What? That was just me? Maybe the Phanatic owes me an explanation.)

So why change the name? The answer lies with the PC police.

Apparently, the IronPigs received “several complaints” from local residents that “PorkChop” is a derogatory term used for Puerto Ricans in the area. So the team caved and changed the name.

“We were really unaware of any negative connotations with the word pork chop,” Lehigh Valley GM Kurt Landes told the Allentown Morning Call, adding that the club did its homework before settling on the name and didn’t find any issues. “I think the name is about being fun and family friendly, so if it's offensive to anyone we certainly would prefer to have a name that everyone likes and enjoys. If it offended a few, it's a few too many.''

Seriously?

Seriously.

When did this country get so soft?

First, just because a word (in this case two words) can be a derogatory term—though I can’t say I’ve ever heard “pork chop” used to belittle anyone—doesn’t mean that every usage of it is derogatory.

The mascot is a pig—it’s not depicting a person of any race, color, or creed. It’s a pig. Are butchers now going to have to rename the cut of pork in their display cases? When we order a juicy chop at our favorite restaurant, should we look around first to make sure no Puerto Ricans from Allentown are around?

This is so asinine.

Look, I’m Jewish. Jews, in some circles, are derogatorily referred to as “Bagels.” If a team had a mascot dressed like a rabbi who it wanted to name “Bagel,” I’d be offended.

But if the mascot was shaped like a big piece of dough with a hole in the center…naming it anything else would be ridiculous.

This insanity has got to stop. I understand bigotry. I have been the subject of it from time to time. We all have—some to a greater extent than others. And I understand that the term “pork chop” can bring up bad memories for some Puerto Ricans in the region.

But, people, in this circumstance, PorkChop isn’t a hateful term. It’s an endearing, cute name for a loveable slop-wading glutton for affection.

The mascot is a big, furry pig. Naming it PorkChop shouldn’t be offensive to anyone.

Not in this country.

Not unless you want to reword the lyric:

The Land of the Free, and the Home of the Sissies.
http://community.comcast.net/comcastportal/blog/article?message.uid=1012977