More Public Places Are Designating Kid-Free Zones

Mar 17, 2006
About damn time.

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=3374997

More Public Places Are Designating Kid-Free Zones
Many Adults Feel Unruly Children Are Infringing on Their Turf
July 13, 2007 —

Ah, the familiar sounds of summer: children free to roam, run and roar.

But not everyone is having fun.

"You come to relax, and there's a 2-year-old kid next to you or maybe five, six, seven of them, depending on how many families are around, and it's definitely a little frustrating," said Marta Baginska, who was sunning herself at a Lake Michigan beach in Illinois.

She wasn't the only adult there growing tired of noise and disturbances.

"They don't really care what they run across," said 65-year-old Bob Lundeen. "They run across you, your blanket, whatever you're on."

After listening to complaints for years, the town of Lake Forest took action this summer and designated 25 percent of its beach a kids-free zone, leaving the adults to sunbathe in peace and quiet.

Kids Invading Adults-Only Places
Although beaches have always been considered child-friendly destinations, experts say that nowadays children are being seen and heard in places that always seemed off limits -- theaters, fancy nail salons, first-class airplane cabins.

"I think that there has been a shift in terms of this generation of parents," said parenting expert Ann Pleshette Murphy. "Reality is, kids haven't changed that much, but they are being taken to places that, in my day in my childhood, we were never taken to. They are around a lot more."

So efforts to promote kid-free zones are gaining popularity.

The Wishbone restaurant in Chicago has an adults-only room, giving diners a break from the somewhat chaotic family side of the eatery.

"Some people don't want to be around squalling kids," said restaurant patron Guy Nickson.

But singling out kids can sometimes cause a stir. In a nearby suburb, when café owner Dan McCauley displayed a sign reading "Children of all ages have to behave and use their indoor voices," it made national headlines, and angered some neighbors.

"The way he's handled it is extremely offensive," said one irate neighbor. "If you don't want children, that's great, put a sign that says 'No children allowed,' not this benign sign that is subjective to what you consider to be positive behavior."

With many parents across the country juggling work and home life, they don't often have much choice about bringing the children if they want to get out of the house.

"I think there also has to be the understanding of how difficult it is to be a parent these days, how difficult it is to find child care," Murphy said.

Still, whether they have the most mild-mannered of children or the most rambunctious, many parents are willing to admit they too savor a kid-free zone every now and again.

Copyright © 2007 ABC News Internet Ventures

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
The signs/kid-free zones wouldn't be necessary if parents acted like parents and tossed their little ones a beating when they get lippy.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
I wish they would declare my block a kid free zone.

It's gotten to the point that I hope some pedo-creep-killer in a van comes by and scoops all the little shitheads up and they are found six months later in a creek in Wisconsin.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
the problem is there is NO discipline, not to toot my own horn but i took my son every were that i went for the most part, when i have to go some were that children arnt allowed i don't go. since he was a baby i stressed to him proper behaver in a public place, even when he's with his buddies running around and acting like an ass i will pull him aside and explain that his actions are inappropriate

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
So if we can do it with kids, do you think we could do it with the.. oh wait, we tried that already.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
the problem is there is NO discipline, not to toot my own horn but i took my son every were that i went for the most part, when i have to go some were that children arnt allowed i don't go. since he was a baby i stressed to him proper behaver in a public place, even when he's with his buddies running around and acting like an ass i will pull him aside and explain that his actions are inappropriate
The parents on this block don't do shit. These fucking pukes throw rocks at houses right next door to their own house, and noone says shit. When I was a kid, we did stupid shit, but we would never do it right next door. If we so much as ran through our neighbors' yards, they would be at their window or come outside and yell at us. These kids today have free reign.

I've seen them mouth off to their parents, hoping to see one get slapped, only to watch in amazement as the parent cedes defeat and goes back in the house. Unbelievable.

Another thing that annoys me is when your out somewhere and the little mongos are screaming their heads off, and the parents just zone them out. Now, I understand that's a good tactic in your living room, but in public places, tell your kid to shut the fuck up. It's totally disrespectful to everyone else around you. If I wanted to hear that crap lady, I'd have cum in you myself.

It's funny because I used to want kids, but that was before I got a first hand dose of what I'm in for. Now there is no way in hell.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
This is so true, a lot has to do with parenting. My buddy has kids and they are very well behaved.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
I think kid free places is fine. My kids are generally well behaved when we're out someplace. Also, the setting dictates how freely they're allowed to roam or how much noise they're allowed to make. I wouldn't mind kid free places at all though. I'd go there when my wife and I were out without the kids. Nothing worse than getting a sitter so you can go out without the kids and being annoyed by somebody else's kids while you're out.

Some places are for kids however, and grown ups need to realize that they're the visitors in the kid's place...We took our 3 kids to the great escape lodge & water park in lake george recently and before going I read some reviews. Someone actually was complaining about "unattended children". It's a fucking water park! There are going to be kids there.

Don't go to Chuck -E- Cheese and complain about being bothered by kids though.

CaraC

A real giirrrrllllllllllllllllll
Jun 1, 2005
MA
Good. Kids are little assholes, and it has everything to do with the fact that the parents are too busy spewing bullshit out of their mouths to seem important to their friends to pay attention to their snot-nosed little jerkoff who keeps kicking sand into your drink. Fuck em.

izzy izkowitz

Chris Hansen is my hero
May 23, 2007
when I lived in washington state I loved being able to go into the bar of a restaurant to get away from the kids. when I moved to wisconsin I was shocked to see kids not just sitting in the bar area but actually sitting at the bar. there was no safe refuge from the screaming snot nosed brats. when I want to go out and sit in a bar and have a few brews the last thing I want is little timmy screaming because his mini corn dog touched his peas. and what the fuck is wrong with these parents that think it is totaly acceptable to bring their 3 year old into a bar setting where drunk fucks are hitting on the waitress, swearing so much it would make a sailor blush, and just being general pains in the ass. and if I want to be one of those pains I shouldn't have to worry about some little kid being there because it is an adult fucking place. if you as a parent want to go to a bar, hire a fucking sitter. there should be more places that don't allow kids, and those places should enforce the rules. you bring your kid in, it gets fed to the volcano god of fire.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
This is so true, a lot has to do with parenting. My buddy has kids and they are very well behaved.
Yes, that's true, but society still sets the standards for what good behavior is.
I'm thinking specifically of the recent incident where the babbling kid and his inept mother were kicked off an airplane by a flight attendant who should be given a promotion and a medal in my opinion.
Instead, the news outlets are villifying her. CNN this morning showed footage of the ever so cute piece of shit along with the mother in their house, while saying the airline is responsible for inconveniencing and embarrassing the mother.

What makes me even more annoyed is the news is saying the other passengers on the plane were in favor of the mother and the babbling kid.
Has anyone here ever been on a plane where they or their fellow passengers would be ok with that, or would you thank the flight attendant profusely for booting them?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
another thing i dont understand with some parents is the seeming unwillingness to hire a baby sitter, now these people take there children to day care but wont hire a baby sitter to watch there kids to go out to dinner. i just dont understand it. i love it when people give me shit for disciplining my son, i dont beat him but i will admonish him if he's fucking up and i dont care who is there. ive walked out of restaurants because he was acting up ive even left children's party's because of it,(that and i HATE kids) when i walked out of the restaurant because he was crying the waitress liked to shit, even before our food showed up i made my wife take him out to the car. i waited for her to come around and told her that we were leaving and to pack the food for take out, paid my bill and tipped her. i wont stand for it, and it infuriates me when other parents just do nothing about it

irishloon

May 1, 2007
Babylon, Long Island
Yes, that's true, but society still sets the standards for what good behavior is.
I'm thinking specifically of the recent incident where the babbling kid and his inept mother were kicked off an airplane by a flight attendant who should be given a promotion and a medal in my opinion.
Instead, the news outlets are villifying her. CNN this morning showed footage of the ever so cute piece of shit along with the mother in their house, while saying the airline is responsible for inconveniencing and embarrassing the mother.

What makes me even more annoyed is the news is saying the other passengers on the plane were in favor of the mother and the babbling kid.
Has anyone here ever been on a plane where they or their fellow passengers would be ok with that, or would you thank the flight attendant profusely for booting them?
Alot of people are overreacting, here. Granted, it's all about the parents, and you can't let your kids run out of control. But it's now gotten to the point where people don't want to hear ONE SOUND out of children. If they even make a peep, they get all blown out of shape. You know what.......GROW THE FUCK UP. They are children. They do not have the control that adults have. Throwing a woman off a plane because a kid is making some noise is fucking retarded, and that is probably why the passengers were in support of the mother, because the kid wasn't completely out of control. You can't just tell a kid to shut up completely, don't move, don't speak, don't ask questions, DON'T DO ANYTHING!!! Fuckin' hell people, did you have to just shut the fuck up completely when YOU were a kid?!?!?

Now that being said, when my kids get completely out of control, one of 3 things happen, and rapidly:

1) We leave the area.
2) When option 1 fails, I pull them aside (mostly my older one), and tell her FIRMLY that she better knock it off.....or else. She gets one warning.
3) When all other options fail, her bottom gets a whack, and she gets warned again that more is coming if she doesn't stop (99% of the time, it ends right there). And let me add, it never goes past a whack on the bottom.

Most of the time, I don't ever have to go past Option 2.

If kids are kept in line as they should be, most of the time you can take them most everywhere. But there are alot of fucking crabby, cranky motherfuckers out there who need to lighten the fuck up. And if you can't, then so be it, but I feel sorry for you.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
1) We leave the area.
2) When option 1 fails, I pull them aside (mostly my older one), and tell her FIRMLY that she better knock it off.....or else. She gets one warning.
3) When all other options fail, her bottom gets a whack, and she gets warned again that more is coming if she doesn't stop (99% of the time, it ends right there).
If everyone were to follow that simple formula, I think the world would be a happier place.

My tolerance for unruly kids goes up exponentially if the parents are trying to remedy the situation.
It also goes down and approaches nitpicky if the parents are oblivious, or even worse, encouraging the behavior.

Max Johnson

Oct 14, 2004
This is a bit off topic but not totally. I play a lot of softball and I can't stand when we are playing at a complex where there is nothing but men's softball in the area (no playgrounds or kid's games) and the umps want to throw guys out for cursing at themselves for popping up or something like that. "There are women and children here!". I don't give a fuck. First of all, this isn't 1870 and a women isn't going to faint if I yell "FUCK" at myself. Second of all, it's not my fault that some guy is so henpecked that he can't get away from his wife and kids for an hour to play ball. Lastly, half the time the kid is of an age where you know damn well he's hearing the shit at school anyway.

Say what you want about the 50's era Leave it to Beaver family which is completely unrealistic, but our society is only going to get shittier as we get both parents working and/or single parents who are too worn out / unavailable to do twice as much parenting/disciplining as they did back in the day. Why should adults who haven't had kids be subjected to other people's failures when they spend their hard earned money to go out to a decent restaurant? Going out to a nice place is a privilege and not a right. If you can't lose your kids for a few hours, you lose that right. Very simple. When they get older or you fork out the cash for a sitter, then you can go to the adult places again. Don't even get me started on kids at bars. I refuse to curtail my language at any 'adult' places (whether a ballfield, bar, ...) just because there are kids around. It's not my problem.

izzy izkowitz

Chris Hansen is my hero
May 23, 2007
Alot of people are overreacting, here. Granted, it's all about the parents, and you can't let your kids run out of control. But it's now gotten to the point where people don't want to hear ONE SOUND out of children. If they even make a peep, they get all blown out of shape. You know what.......GROW THE FUCK UP. They are children. They do not have the control that adults have. Throwing a woman off a plane because a kid is making some noise is fucking retarded, and that is probably why the passengers were in support of the mother, because the kid wasn't completely out of control. You can't just tell a kid to shut up completely, don't move, don't speak, don't ask questions, DON'T DO ANYTHING!!! Fuckin' hell people, did you have to just shut the fuck up completely when YOU were a kid?!?!?

Now that being said, when my kids get completely out of control, one of 3 things happen, and rapidly:

1) We leave the area.
3) When all other options fail, her bottom gets a whack, and she gets warned again that more is coming if she doesn't stop (99% of the time, it ends right there). And let me add, it never goes past a whack on the bottom.

Most of the time, I don't ever have to go past Option 2.

If kids are kept in line as they should be, most of the time you can take them most everywhere. But there are alot of fucking crabby, cranky motherfuckers out there who need to lighten the fuck up. And if you can't, then so be it, but I feel sorry for you.

I understand that kids are kids. I am not asking that they be muzzled. all I am asking is that I should have places to go where I don't have to listen to it if I don't want to. I was out to dinner the other night with my wife and this family of savages just would not control their kid. the kid was actually standing on the fucking table throwing french fries around the bar area. why the fuck is this kid in the bar? and why the fuck won't his savage parents do anything about it? those of you that take care of business seem to be the exception and not the rule anymore. I applaud those of you that discipline your kids, but do me one more favor and keep the fucking brat out of the bar and other adult areas in the first place.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Kids will be kids. Ya gotta let them run around and be young. But there is a time and a place for that.

At my store i cant stand it when kids run around like their parents own the place. The kids start to act up and the parents walk around oblivious to it. Its like Im expected to watch their little offspring while they shop.

I have seen parents walk away from their kid as the little brat jumps from a $4000 dollar sofa ontop of another $1500 chair and climb on a $900 cocktail table. If i have to interject, then there is a fucking problem. I know as a kid if i would have even looked at something wrong in a store like mine, i would have got my ass whooped in no time flat.

The parents just say "Tucker, Conner, you are being so good!" as they tackled eachother. I have even had to sit down a 9yr old and a 7 yr old. and tell them not to move and to sit on their hands because they wouldnt stop jumping and throwing each other one my gawddamn showroom furniture.

bottom line, parents dont give a fuck. any break they can get from their asshole kids they will take.

MetalSign

O&A Curmudgeon
Dec 22, 2002
Orlando, FL
I fucking hate kids. I need more places like this.

Alot of people are overreacting, here. Granted, it's all about the parents, and you can't let your kids run out of control. But it's now gotten to the point where people don't want to hear ONE SOUND out of children. If they even make a peep, they get all blown out of shape. You know what.......GROW THE FUCK UP. They are children. They do not have the control that adults have.
When I was a kid, I was DISCIPLINED if I acted like an ass in public, which includes yelling, running around, etc. My family life was wonderful and I am not a raving psycho, so discipline works. I think the anger comes from the parent's nonchalant attitude towards the kids behavior.

That being said, I have grown up. In public, we shouldn't be subjected to awful behavior. I think parents need to "GROW THE FUCK UP" and take some fucking initiative in their kid's future.

I have respect for any family with kids that are behaving.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York