Motherboard / harddrive issue

reddog_2711

Jan 11, 2007
Rochester, NY
I need some advice on an issue I'm working on with my mother-in-laws computer.

First of all, its a stock Emachine S1940 (I know.....ewwww haha)

I replaced the power supply in it about 5 or 6 weeks ago because it died, and it fixed the problem up until a few days ago. On Wednesday, it totally died again. I took the new power supply back out and back to the store thinking it was faulty. They tested it, confirmed it was dead and gave me a better replacement free. After taking the new in box one to her house and installing it, this is what happens: When I flip the power switch on the power supply itself on the back of the computer, the fans on both the power supply and also the CPU both start spinning, and this is before I even hit the actual power button on the front of the computer, which does nothing by the way. I can't get it to boot at all, and the only way to get the power supply and CPU fans to stop is by flipping the power supply switch in the back or unplugging it.

The guy at the store mentioned that the mobo could be bad, which caused both of the power supplies to die, and now it's dead to the point of not working at all.

Any ideas as to what this could be? Before I have her spend the $$$ on a new one, I need to be able to confirm this. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Shawn (Reddog)

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
its a stock Emachine = trash, just dump it. The money would be better spent on a new pc.

JimsInfectedEye

That's very hurtful, sir.
May 21, 2005
Philadelphia
Had the SAME EXACT THING happen to my kids emachine. It lasted a good year, then took out the ps. Replaced the ps, died again. Installed better ps, unit never started up again.

Wound up replacing the mb. Worked fine since.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Usually see this after a power surge fries something on the motherboard.

Any bad storms around the time the first PS blew?

Assuming the PC was plugged into one, a surge protector is usually only good for one good big hit. After that, it's not really doing anything. If it has a light on it, but the light is dim or flickering, then its wasted. There are also factors such as clamping time and voltage as well as the joule rating. These all indicate how fast it can shutdown in case of a surge, at what level it shuts down, and how much energy it can suppress. Even if it did its job, enough energy may have gotten through to do damage.

Price isn't necessarily an indication of protection, though its more likely the specs are more accurate on a pricier surge protector than on a cheapo one. You don't have to spend a lot, but chances are something under $10 isn't going to cut it.