Motherboard replacement

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
My USB controllers have failed on my xw6400 workstation at work. And the tech support at HP (which surprisingly wasn't so bad) have deemed the motherboard needs to be replaced.

I usually do this kind of thing myself (video card, hard drive, more simple stuff) But a motherboard seems much more complicated and over my head. So I requested to have on-site replacement. They are supposed to send a tech out with the motherboard hopefully soon.

I know they usually (or probably) contract this shit out. When I'm watching over their shoulder what should I keep an eye on so they do it correctly and not fuck my beloved workstation up?

I suppose it would probably be a good idea to back my shit up just in case they really do fuck up my system.

Feb 20, 2007
that's the key right there!
Yes indeedy, bonedry bonedry.

A motherboard is not that bad. I would say, for the average person the most complicated thing besides the CPU is the case connections (the text is always so hard to read)

Watch to make sure the dolt screws the mobo in securely, because one its the ground for the board and two if you put a card in there and the bottom is not secured (for instance, the board requires a riser bolt from the case) you can crack your mobo and then there ya go.

Hell, there is a lot of ways to fuck up a mobo, including fucking up the CPU by placement. Slots are usually easier.

The worst, besides any of that, is that he did not connect everything correctly. If he did not, you will have to check the connections (which I recommend anyway) to make sure they are plugged in correctly and tightly.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I had HP onsite service out last week to fix my company laptop.

The motherboard had to be replaced - it would no longer charge/use the battery.

The dude came out, tore it down, changed the motherboard, put it all back together, and fired it up...

BSOD!

He starts to think it's a bad motherboard. I ask him to let me take a look. I notice the BIOS on the new motherboard isn't the latest. So, I downloaded the new BIOS with my desktop PC onto a thumbdrive and flashed the BIOS. Still no dice. I check the BIOS settings and I ended up fixing the problem.

Ok, now it boots. Well, the touchstick mouse (eraserhead-like thing in middle of keyboard) doesn't work. He tells me it's software. I check it out. It's not even being detected.

My laptop has both a touchpad and the touchstick. I primarily use the touchpad, but now that the weather has gotten cold I've found the touchpad doesn't work right if I leave the laptop in my vehicle for any length of time without the heat on.

I suggest that he remove the keyboard and check the ribbon cable. He does, but no dice. So, he calls and orders a replacement keyboard. After he leaves, I take the keyboard off myself and reseated the ribbon cable. I boot it up and it works perfectly fine. When he called me yesterday to schedule the return visit I told him that it was working now. I didn't get into details.

The thing is, I'm an IT hardware service guy myself. So, I watched like a hawk. I had no problems with how he did the part replacement. He didn't act like a monkey with a hammer. But, the fact that I had to intervene to get my laptop up and running again says alot.

Arc Lite

Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
Damn Sinn Fein. That doesn't give me much hope. At least, I think, desktops are a little easier to troubleshoot and diagnose than laptops.

I just hope it doesn't turn out to be something like that. Replace the motherboard... No that's not it... Replace something else... No that's not it... Sigh.

Well I'll be sure to keep a sharp eye on the fellow.

Feb 20, 2007
Laptops are always harder to work on. Its a light space, and everything has to be whats supposed to be in the machine. I have worked on many laptops, ibms. They are a bitch.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
shit, I just rebuilt my rig, and I had a few issues but it was easy to correct. If a dumb farmer can do it, so can you

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
If it's only the USB controller not working, why cant you slip in a PCI USB card?

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Desktop motherboard replacement shouldn't be a big deal. If it's under warranty, get it done. Don't let my story scare you.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Make sure he is wearing an anti-static wrist strap....haha

foyb

Mar 18, 2007
Crawfordsville, IN
Yes, HP does contract their on site stuff out. I've done some of their work. Basically, it's luck of the draw on who you get. Definitely back your shit up first. If you suspect the person you get is a moron, watch them like a hawk. Since it's winter, make sure he grounds himself, or he could toast your brand new mobo too.

Arc Lite

Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
Holy crap. Been trying to back up my system this morning without a mouse. I'm fairly adept at using a keyboard only, but there's been a couple of things with the menus and selections I absolutely could not do without a mouse. (I tried a serial mouse and the PC just won't work. The thing just locks up or doesn't start up.)

I had a free trial of www.gotomypc.com which works great but it expired two days ago. Fortunately we are a client of a larger engineering company who has a remote access program on some of our computers. I got the back up to where I needed and they finished it up through remote support.

What a pain this has been. Just hope the tech gets out here before the Xmas. But with the ice and bullshit around here I will probably have to wait until after our 4-day weekend. Meanwhile, I'm here at work mostly just killing time with my laptop hooked up to one of two my 20" wide screens.

Thanks for the input everybody.