Mouse Vampires...And if it works on mice.....

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
http://www.iheartchaos.com/post/9835451667/vampirism-works-study-finds-that-injecting-old-mice

It’s not just modern vampire myths— ever since the dawn of time, people have tried various methods of using the blood of the young to try and rejuvenate the old, but the bad news for shamans and ancient high priests is that just sacrificing babies isn’t good enough. A recent study in mice has shown that injecting the blood of young mice into old mice puts an extra spring in their step.

Researchers at Stanford University just published a study in Nature that may give new hope to those looking to stop the effects of aging on the brain. The study found that when blood from a young mouse was injected into an older mouse, that older mouse enjoyed what could almost be termed a “rejuvenation effect”: it began producing more neurons, firing more activity across synapses, and even suffered less inflammation.

Interestingly, performing the reverse, in which a young mouse was injected with blood (or, more accurately, plasma, which is the parts of blood without blood cells), resulted in young mice with distinctly elderly attributes—increased inflammation, a reduction in the production of new neurons, that kind of thing. The researchers used plasma because blood cells are actually too large to travel through the blood-brain barrier into the brain. But certain chemokines, small proteins secreted by cells, are indeed small enough to pass through, and the team actually isolated several that could be causing this effect.
So who else had a sick image of themselves hunting children for a minute when reading this?

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I might be missing something, but isn't this essentially just doing the same thing that cyclists and swimmers do? I don't know what the proper term is, but I'll call it juicing.

Basically, they take out their own blood a few days prior to their competition, and when they re-inject themselves with their own blood, and since their body has replenished the lost blood, the additional volume gives them a huge advantage in endurance since they have such an increase in blood-flow. I don't see how this is any different.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I might be missing something, but isn't this essentially just doing the same thing that cyclists and swimmers do? I don't know what the proper term is, but I'll call it juicing.

Basically, they take out their own blood a few days prior to their competition, and when they re-inject themselves with their own blood, and since their body has replenished the lost blood, the additional volume gives them a huge advantage in endurance since they have such an increase in blood-flow. I don't see how this is any different.
It's called Blood Doping. And yeah, this kinda sounds like that.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA

It's called Blood Doping. And yeah, this kinda sounds like that.
Yep, NT got it, bu that's not what's going on here. Cyclists do it to basically increase the amount of red blood cells in the body and thereby increasing the amount of oxygen that can be delivered to the muscles. This increase in oxygen allows them to push themselves further without muscle failure due to oxygen depletion.

In this case, the injection of blood from young mice into old ones causes their body and brain to act more like that of a young mouse. Injection of blood from old mice into young ones causes their body to respond like an older mouse (inflammation and shit)

One problem, human's don't produce new neurons. Ever.
If you are talking about the cerebral cortex, that statement is correct. For the entire brain? Nope. There is an area of the brain that does continually produce neurons througout life. The dentate gyrus region of the brain, which is thought to be responsible for new memories continues to produce neurons throughout life. There are things that can affect it, like stress will cause it neurogenesis to slow down. One thing I am not sure of is if it indeed slows down as we get older. If so, that would make sense as to why the younger blood and moreso, the hormones in it would stimulate nerogenesis.

overall, pretty freaking cool and it COULD be relatively easy to test in humans depending on how young of a person the blood would need to come from. If blood from an 18 yr old would work, they could set up a special blood bank in a research facility. Pay a bunch of college kids to donate blood and then use that blood for transfusions that are required for certain surgeries. Then monitor the recipients.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
overall, pretty freaking cool and it COULD be relatively easy to test in humans depending on how young of a person the blood would need to come from. If blood from an 18 yr old would work, they could set up a special blood bank in a research facility. Pay a bunch of college kids to donate blood and then use that blood for transfusions that are required for certain surgeries. Then monitor the recipients.
And keep some garlic handy LOLOLOLOLOLOL