Moving - Car Dolly vs. Car Carrier??

Capt.Hilarious

Of all the names to choose...Capt.Hilarious?
Apr 26, 2006
MD
I am moving from Chicago to Annapolis, MD in a little over a week. I am going to rent a truck (probably Budget b/c they have a 15% discount if you use amex) and tow my car behind me while I drive.

I am sure that the all-knowledgeable think tank that is wackbag can give me a consensus on which option is better. I have a FWD sedan that has a relatively low profile although I haven't lowered the suspension at all. I don't want to wear the car in a weird way and I know that the car carrier route is better for that. The dolly is cheaper and I'd love to save as much money as possible. Plus, I would imagine it is easier to handle since the load will be lighter on the truck.

Any opinions/experiences?

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
Spend the extra $$$ and get the hauler instead of a dolly. Much more stable to pull around and maneuver and less stress on the car itself.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
is it FWd as in front wheel drive or is it all wheel drive, if its front wheel then a dolly is fine but if its four wheel get a carrier

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
We used one on our move from Virginia to Missouri and it was a pain in the ass. I hated it. I've used one before on a smaller car and it was no problem, but we have a larger SUV-type car now and it was a pain. The strap on the right front wheel never wanted to stay. It would loosen on bumps or rough roads. We had to constantly worry if the car was still there. If you get in a tight spot you are fucked because you aren't supposed to back up with the car on the dolly. I'm not sure if you can on a carrier, but I imagine that you can.

I would have preferred the stability of the carrier, especially on a drive that far. Next time, it's a carrier for me.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
I'd get someone to drive the car, personally. Wouldn't do the dolly at all. Just too much of a chance to screw the car up.

Southtown

Aug 10, 2004
I would use a carrier.

Also check out penske's rates. I have found them the cheapest and you get a discount if you book online. Plus if you have AAA they give you a bigger discount.

Digital_Trauma

"man of leisure". . . aaaand repeat
May 2, 2005
Lexington, KY
Leave the car and take a greyhound bus back to get it. Maybe you'll meet some nice people along the way.

Capt.Hilarious

Of all the names to choose...Capt.Hilarious?
Apr 26, 2006
MD
Thanks for the advice.

I'd get someone to drive the car, personally. Wouldn't do the dolly at all. Just too much of a chance to screw the car up.
I was holding on to this idea until the last minute. I just feel too badly asking someone to take time off of work to help me drive it for 14 hours. If I was moving on a weekend, that would be one thing, but I have to move mid-week.

I would use a carrier.

Also check out penske's rates. I have found them the cheapest and you get a discount if you book online. Plus if you have AAA they give you a bigger discount.
Will do.

My main concern is damaging my car or putting unnecessary wear on it so a carrier it is. Thanks again.