Moving to London

Tetro

Hey,

Now I normally don't get the gist of these type of the threads and never really saw myself making one until now. That is because I am planning on moving to London within a week to begin a job hunt in the commodity trading field. I currently live in Orlando FL, so this will be the biggest move I've ever made. If I was simply moving to Maine, I wouldn't do this but I'm asking for any information that people here might have dealing with experience in the area.

I'm looking to move there and find a cheap place to live for the time being as I begin applying/interviewing for jobs. Hopefully, if i land one, I will look for a more decent place to live. Just seeing if anyone had any recommendations on where to start out and maybe a couple things to expect. Thanks.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
Only read the title. I hate you.

So you are gonna be homeless and unemployed in a foreign country?

Sounds awesome.

The Keeed

Hey,

Now I normally don't get the gist of these type of the threads and never really saw myself making one until now. That is because I am planning on moving to London within a week to begin a job hunt in the commodity trading field. I currently live in Orlando FL, so this will be the biggest move I've ever made. If I was simply moving to Maine, I wouldn't do this but I'm asking for any information that people here might have dealing with experience in the area.

I'm looking to move there and find a cheap place to live for the time being as I begin applying/interviewing for jobs. Hopefully, if i land one, I will look for a more decent place to live. Just seeing if anyone had any recommendations on where to start out and maybe a couple things to expect. Thanks.
I'm not sure how helpful I'd be, but I've lived there in the past and had some experience looking for places to stay.

How cheap of a place are you looking for? You probably know, but as a city it's insanely expensive and the exchange rate certainly doesn't help. I was studying abroad there and before I was able to get housing through my school, I was looking at decently located studio flats for around 200 pounds per week. If you like, I could give you some of the websites I used, but they were mostly for finding student flats.

I could also give you some more info on specific neighborhoods.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
Watch out for the werewolves.

[video=youtube;qRHIeblmIws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRHIeblmIws[/video]

The speak in a different accent and have bad teeth.. write home often

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Carefully look both ways before crossing the street, and I'm not joking. They drive on the other side of the road, so if you're a pedestrian, cars come from the opposite side that you'd normally look before crossing (like if it's a 2 way street, the cars in the lane closest to you will be going right to left, instead of left to right in the US). You may think this is trivial, but I hear plenty of tourists get plowed there because of it.

You might want to check into the legality of moving to a foreign country without employment already secured.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
You might want to check into the legality of moving to a foreign country without employment already secured.
This is actually good advice. I dated a girl that moved to London and attaining a work visa was a huge pain in the ass for her. Lots of legal hoops to jump through.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Not to forget the London Financial firms are laying people off.

NuttyJim

stay away from the blood sausage and pick the right "club" when you get there or the hooligans will fuck you up. I'd personally move to Ireland and work at the Guinness plant. Naturally after that I would probably be dead in 2 years.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
You have dual citizenship? I've heard it is nearly impossible to get a job in Europe if you aren't a citizen of the EU. Even if you get a work permit, aren't those only for a short period?

You have dual citizenship? I've heard it is nearly impossible to get a job in Europe if you aren't a citizen of the EU. Even if you get a work permit, aren't those only for a short period?
Unless he says he is a refugee...

Haeder

South Dakota
Hey,

Why in the fiddlesticks are you moving to London? Other than the whole commodity trading nonsense.

Buy yourself a caravan and live with the Pikeys until you get a real job. Learn everything there is to know about Ricky Hatton - namely this: There's only one Ricky Hatton. Expect room temperature beer, boiled foodstuffs and moderately attractive women willing to take one in the dumper on a first date. No matter how thin, you'll always be the fattest person in a room. Fish and chips. Bangers and mash. Tripe.