Mr. Plinkett Reviews: The Official Thread

Floyd1977

I don't know. I also want to blame Sony, but Feig and his frequent collaborator Katie Dippold are the only ones credited with writing it. (Besides the "based on" credits given to Reitman, Aykroyd, and Ramis)
Feig did lash out (rather unprofessionally) over the negative buzz the movie was getting once the trailers dropped on a few occasions. Alsothe Sony leak included the email where Feig was pitching to Amy Pascal and apparently the final result was pretty much aligned with that pitch. So it would appear that this was more Feig's baby.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
I don't know. I also want to blame Sony, but Feig and his frequent collaborator Katie Dippold are the only ones credited with writing it. (Besides the "based on" credits given to Reitman, Aykroyd, and Ramis)
The WGA wouldn't allow a credit for Amy Pascal's Fuckwittedness.

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
Only one line referencing the "Reviewers hating women" thing. I'd say the crux of the video was why Paul Feig was the worst choice for Writer/Director and how Sony's film division is a shitshow.

Good shit.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
@Pigdango you poor bastard.

Watching the movie clips through the review is bad enough, but you actually sat through this all alone last night.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
@Pigdango you poor bastard.

Watching the movie clips through the review is bad enough, but you actually sat through this all alone last night.
I'm glad I did - you know, for science. I commented on a lot of the stuff they brought up, which made the Plinkett review more fun.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
I'm glad I did - you know, for science. I commented on a lot of the stuff they brought up, which made the Plinkett review more fun.
Seeing the things you described brought to life is both funny and horrifying.

Last edited:

Floyd1977

I'll go against Plinkett and admit that the "That's a big Twinkie" Times Square gag was a moderately clever nod. Maybe if the rest of the movie was more subtle like that it would have been more tolerable.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
This review did something that every good Plinkett review should do - it quantified something I hate that I wasn't able to quantify until they pointed it out - the thing I hate about comedies now is the incessant yammering and the lack of use of comedic timing. Once it pointed this out I was like "dammit, that's exactly why I don't find these movies funny."

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
This review did something that every good Plinkett review should do - it quantified something I hate that I wasn't able to quantify until they pointed it out - the thing I hate about comedies now is the incessant yammering and the lack of use of comedic timing. Once it pointed this out I was like "dammit, that's exactly why I don't find these movies funny."
Its just endless babble passing itself off as improv. That scene at the end where they are walking around in the subway system and Melissa McCarthy just has to blurt out "IT SMELLS LIKE URINE!" and then the Aborigine tags the "improv" shows how awful the movie is with this. In the 1984 Ghostbusters, substantial periods of time pass in tense moments where the characters are not talking. But this is just two hours of BABBLING. Just hundreds and hundreds of the most half assed attempts at jokes that fall flat.

DiggerNick

Donator
Only one line referencing the "Reviewers hating women" thing. I'd say the crux of the video was why Paul Feig was the worst choice for Writer/Director and how Sony's film division is a shitshow.

Good shit.
Yeah, they already did a video targetting the bullshit fake outrage-mongering of the promotional campaign. They wisely kept this video focused on the movie itself and why it unequivocaly sucks, regardless of the stupidity around its production and release.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
@Pigdango

How bad is Kate McKinnon as Holtzmann as this? Oh my God! She is a despicable, mugging cheeseball. How did they let that performance stand? I bet the dummies Feig and Dippold thought those wacky horseshit improv lines were great. She's the "best Ghostbuster." Oh, is she ever awful.

I remember all the rumors about the bad chemistry and bad blood. I think Wiig hated McKinnon. She gives her a lot of dirty looks. Just these, "Really?" looks on her face and body language expressing disgust.

Floyd1977

@Pigdango

I remember all the rumors about the bad chemistry and bad blood. I think Wiig hated McKinnon. She gives her a lot of dirty looks. Just these, "Really?" looks on her face and body language expressing disgust.
I could see that as McKinnon became her successor as the star of SNL.

Wiig and McCarthy also must have clashed pretty hard since McCarthy stole the show from her in Bridesmaids (and got nominated for a goddamn Oscar for playing against her perceived type at the time. That must have made Wiig furious as the one thing women in show business love is getting upstaged by a lower billed actress)

Last edited:

Atomic Fireball

Donator
I was thinking why a Plinkett review after they murdered this already. But Plinkett deconstructs failed movies like a coroner. You have to hope that the studios study these, but there's no sign that they do.

Floyd1977

I was thinking why a Plinkett review after they murdered this already. But Plinkett deconstructs failed movies like a coroner. You have to hope that the studios study these, but there's no sign that they do.
His analysis is, as usual, spot on. And I actually wonder why Mike (for all I know, maybe he has) hasn't been offered
a job in Hollywood.

But this entry is pretty lean. I kind of miss the Plinkett wraparound material. No captive women, no pizza rolls and barely even any of the intentional bad editing. I kind of pictured Nadine and the rest of his female victims tieing him up and forcing him to watch female ghostbusters and them all commenting on how brilliant it was.

And in seriousness his observations about all the improv is really an indictment on movies, for the most part, no longer being shot on film. When you shot on expensive 35mm film, you couldn't afford to just let the camera run. You had to actually have had a good script. And if you did improv, you had better be sure it was goddamn good like "You're gonna need a bigger boat" or "I Love You.....I Know"

Atomic Fireball

Donator
When you shot on expensive 35mm film, you couldn't afford to just let the camera run.
That's an excellent point I never thought of. This goes through my mind whenever I shoot 50 pictures in the hopes of getting one acceptable one. Eight hours of Paul Feig improvisation costs essentially the same as a 30 second shot with regard to the recording medium. And even if cost were no object a reel of film is about twenty minutes.

Floyd1977

But Plinkett deconstructs failed movies like a coroner. You have to hope that the studios study these, but there's no sign that they do.
He's got a very good eye for details that 95% of people would miss. For example the one time coca-coca products aren't being shoved into the camera was when the ghostbusters were eating Papa John's (who the fuck orders Papa Johns in New York fucking City). I know studios make good money of P.P. but Christ doesn't it get to the point where it's just not worth it to try to navigate the web of what products can/cannot be in the same shot, how a product can/cannot be shown or depicted etc. If I was a directory trying to set up a shot and the P.P. Supervisor was constantly reminding me of such matters, I'd go nuts. Plus for each product shown the production has another "partner". I not necessarily against P.P. If it makes contextual sense. If it's a scene where a character is eating lunch, I would expect that the character might be drinking a coke, so it doesn't call too much attention to itself. When it does, it's an issue. Like in Austin Powers when he tells some babe "get your hands off my Heiney Baby" and from behind him she pulls out a Heineken and puts it right up to the camera. Or, in Twister where they're trying to make all those propellers for Dorothy's balls out of aluminum cans and every single can they round up is a Pepsi product (not even a few Beer cans show up). Even "Logan" had a Product Placement Mart scene where Logan Jr examines some specific products. But anyway, I digress.

I'm sure they're are some people in Hollywood watching these videos, but do you really think "those people" who run Hollywood are saying "he's right, maybe we don't need all that product placement" or "maybe rayping the memory of beloved movies just to make a few more shekels isn't such a good idea", or "do we really need to make a 6th one?"

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
@Pigdango

How bad is Kate McKinnon as Holtzmann as this? Oh my God! She is a despicable, mugging cheeseball. How did they let that performance stand? I bet the dummies Feig and Dippold thought those wacky horseshit improv lines were great. She's the "best Ghostbuster." Oh, is she ever awful.

I never watched the movie and Kate McKinnon disgusted me from these clips. She's doing a really terrible version of a Jane Lynch impression.