Mr. Plinkett Reviews: The Official Thread

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
As for R1 v. TLJ, I don't get it. I get why you might complain about not much happening, but at least it tried to do stuff with characters. Some characters. It didn't work, but they tried. At least you could connect some dots to the story if you wanted to.

The first 2/3 of R1 (before the Battle of Scarif) has nothing to do with the end of the movie and is internally inconsistent throughout. Then there's a battle sequence.

While you might have more issues with TLJ, if you take the Star Wars emotions out of it, you at least have to admit that R1 fails more as a movie, a narrative feature, than TLJ does.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I honestly don't see SJWism as an issue with TLJ unless you're just obsessed with SJWism. If they were to talk about it, it should be how both sides are obsessive babies.
Within the movie itself it wasn’t a big deal. It’s become a bunch of annoying shit since the movie came out.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
As for R1 v. TLJ, I don't get it. I get why you might complain about not much happening, but at least it tried to do stuff with characters. Some characters. It didn't work, but they tried. At least you could connect some dots to the story if you wanted to.

The first 2/3 of R1 (before the Battle of Scarif) has nothing to do with the end of the movie and is internally inconsistent throughout. Then there's a battle sequence.

While you might have more issues with TLJ, if you take the Star Wars emotions out of it, you at least have to admit that R1 fails more as a movie, a narrative feature, than TLJ does.
My biggest damning of R1 is that it's boring and the characters feel 2 dimentional. They tried to straddle the line by making an intimate story with galactic consequences.

It failed.

I even get what they were trying to do with the story. You make this plan to get inforation you need to beat your enemy hut events accelerate faster than you saw coming so you are faced with an all in hail mary out of desperation.

Where it failed was the execution. It was boring and the actors were not good. While unfortunate, it never felt insulting. Those involved obviously understood Star Wars, they just couldn't pullbit off.

TLJ feels like a script by committee that was re-written by a committee then re-written by someone with a grudge. It felt comprised and insulting. Like they were yelling "fuck you" to the fans while giggling. Even moments of "sacrifice" felt petty and unearned.

There is no Star Wars here, just space ships and laser swords.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator

Both movies ask a question - “How did the Rebels get the Death Star plans”, and “what happened to make Luke give up on the Jedi?”

TLJ is a more satisfying movie because it is a question about characters and their motivations, and the answer is the central message of the entire movie. R1 is just “people got a thing.” The how is answered (claw game!) but the “why” never is.

That being said, R1 got the Wars part of Star Wars a lot more right, and aside from messing up the beginning of ANH, it’s damage to the franchise was fairly self contained. TLJ significantly broke the internal logic of the entire Star Wars universe.

BIV is on record as being a guy who doesn’t care about the characters as much as the pew pew, so I get why he favors R1 over TLJ.

BIV

Both movies ask a question - “How did the Rebels get the Death Star plans”, and “what happened to make Luke give up on the Jedi?”

TLJ is a more satisfying movie because it is a question about characters and their motivations, and the answer is the central message of the entire movie. R1 is just “people got a thing.” The how is answered (claw game!) but the “why” never is.

That being said, R1 got the Wars part of Star Wars a lot more right, and aside from messing up the beginning of ANH, it’s damage to the franchise was fairly self contained. TLJ significantly broke the internal logic of the entire Star Wars universe.

BIV is on record as being a guy who doesn’t care about the characters as much as the pew pew, so I get why he favors R1 over TLJ.
But...that wasn't the question. That's part of the problem. The main question of the movie, that everything centered around, was "Durrrr, how does ship get away?"

And every answer was fucking retarded.

The only character who had any kind of growth was Luke....AND HE FUCKUNG DIED.

Everyone else is at the exact same place they started at except Rey has some books and Finn has this really annoying bitch latched onto him. The only time they effect the events happening around them is when they fuck them up.

Rey is always an exception to any critique, for the most part. She was the best part if TFA and remains the most interesting thing after this movie. I think they dropped the ball with her relationship with Ben or her possibly slipping into grey, if not completely dark side, but I still find her compelling as a character.I

But the rest of them can jump in a fucking lake, preferably on Mustofar. *buh dum tssssh* I don't give a rat's fuck about any of them.

And I never said I favor pew pew over character, I said character is useless if they are not doing anything....leading to the boringness of R1. Yes, the characters were not good. But good characters couldn't have, with exceptions, made that not boring.

The last third of the movie was actually good, again, with exceptions. And it's not just because of the quality pew pew. it was because:

1. Let's face it, that's where the movie should have started.
2. The pew pew really was quite good.
And
3. You finally cared about the characters.

It was like they were written by a totally different person, which they might have been. The actors came alive and seemed to give a shit. Everyone's motivations were crystal clear. And it felt honest and real.

Boy did the first 2/3 suck.

TLJ wasn't a character study, it wasn't an action flick, as RLM pointed out and never registered until they said it, it was written like a comedy but wasn't funny...at all.

I don't know what the fuck it was. It had bombers in vacuum and giant deer horses. Fuck this movie.

BIV

Wow, I wrote a lot, sorry.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Within the movie itself it wasn’t a big deal. It’s become a bunch of annoying shit since the movie came out.
That's my point. It didn't bother me, and by saying that, @BIV thought I was being Above It All Liddy. You coined the moniker. You know the difference.

As for which is more insulting? R1 in a landslide. People find TLJ "insulting" because they disagreed with what the characters did. But at least the characters did something.

Unlike Solo, which at least has a fairly followable plot, R1 definitely feels like two scripts mashed together and randomly edited. Think of all the things that go nowhere or are left unexplained, character relationships that are never built up. The R1 team gets two different midget aliens for a single scene. Why? Why not make them the same midget alien? And no matter how good the Battle of Scarif is at times (at least the stuff not involving the main characters), I am not able to shake the pure cynicism behind the film. How the studio knew we wouldn't care how little sense it made, how little the characters worked, how replacable every scene in the movie is - because Darth Vader slashes people with a lightsaber at the end. It's even more of a mess than Justice League, but everyone seems blind to that and I don't know why.The entire movie was an exercise in "fuck you you idiots." TLJ might be offensive to Star Wars fans, but R1 should be offensive to viewers as a whole.

I just read BIV's post. He began to care about the characters? Who? Krennick?

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
It had bombers in vacuum
I hate the bomb complaint. Now people get upset over the physics of Star Wars. Up until those bombers it was Neil DeGrasse Tyson certified, but now?!?

BIV

I hate the bomb complaint. Now people get upset over the physics of Star Wars. Up until those bombers it was Neil DeGrasse Tyson certified, but now?!?
Yeah, it's really too bad we didn't previously have any examples of how bombs work in the Star Wars universe.

Or what rebel bombers look like

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Yeah, it's really too bad we didn't previously have any examples of how bombs work in the Star Wars universe.

Or what rebel bombers look like

What are we doing? What is any of this?

HandPanzer

τι θελεις
The racks propel the bombs out and then their magnets activate attracting them to their intended targets is what I read somewhere a while ago. I don't actually care.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
The racks propel the bombs out and then their magnets activate attracting them to their intended targets is what I read somewhere a while ago. I don't actually care.
I cannot accept that answer.

BIV

What are we doing? What is any of this?
We have seen at least three different bombers in the the movies, We have seen that bombs are powered weapons in the Star Wars universe.....make's sense, because, you know, vacuum. We've seen that bombers are fast moving ships that can keep up with the fighters.

So when the retards behind TLJ bring us bombers, they are slow ass, giant WWII things with racks of bombs that use gravity to fall....and somehow you are annoyed at the people who point this out, not the dumb fucks who put it in the scripts?

I don't expect you to know the ins and outs of Star Wars ships and weapons, Liddy. Thankfully, you are not writing SW scripts, because people who do should know all of this shit. Or, at the very least, it should all be run past someone who does.

As Mike from RLM points out, for science fiction or fantasy to work, there has to be rules. The rules can even be ridiculous, as long as they are consistent. This is sloppy, bush league shit. Where are the continuity experts Kennedy was bragging about? What was the point of dumping the Legends books if you don't even bother to stick to the canon you decided to keep?

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
We have seen at least three different bombers in the the movies, We have seen that bombs are powered weapons in the Star Wars universe.....make's sense, because, you know, vacuum. We've seen that bombers are fast moving ships that can keep up with the fighters.

So when the retards behind TLJ bring us bombers, they are slow ass, giant WWII things with racks of bombs that use gravity to fall....and somehow you are annoyed at the people who point this out, not the dumb fucks who put it in the scripts?

I don't expect you to know the ins and outs of Star Wars ships and weapons, Liddy. Thankfully, you are not writing SW scripts, because people who do should know all of this shit. Or, at the very least, it should all be run past someone who does.

As Mike from RLM points out, for science fiction or fantasy to work, there has to be rules. The rules can even be ridiculous, as long as they are consistent. This is sloppy, bush league shit. Where are the continuity experts Kennedy was bragging about? What was the point of dumping the Legends books if you don't even bother to stick to the canon you decided to keep?
@HandPanzer

Get the toilet.

Thankfully, you are not writing SW scripts, because people who do should know all of this shit. Or, at the very least, it should all be run past someone who does.
BIV wanted that job so bad but they saw his big story paragraphs and declined his resume.

I just read a few articles that say TLJ review is bad because it doesn't address the "toxic" audience and the vietnamese china woman social media stunt.

I feel real silly now for enjoying it.

If both sides have a problem with the review, then RLM must have done something right.

HandPanzer

τι θελεις
If both sides have a problem with the review, then RLM must have done something right.
Wait, I assume the SJW types are angry because they're always angry, but who else is upset now? Not trying to make a joke or anything--I'm totally out of the loop here.