MS trying to block browser competition...again

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Microsoft returning Windows to 'the digital dark ages'?

Published May 10, 2012
FoxNews.com

• Microsoft

The biggest lawsuit in Microsoft’s history dominated the 90s, when the company battled accusations that it was stifling browser competition. Rival Netscape couldn't survive, but the Windows giant was ultimately forced to strip Internet Explorer from its operating system in a landmark ruling.
That conflict may be brewing up again.
Mozilla, the developer group behind the popular Firefox browser, argued Wednesday night that Firefox is being banned from certain versions of Windows 8, the forthcoming tablet-centric OS from Microsoft -- returning Windows users to the dark ages before competition.
“The upcoming release of Windows … and Microsoft’s browser practices regarding Windows 8 Metro signal an unwelcome return to the digital dark ages where users and developers didn’t have browser choices,” wrote Harvey Anderson, Mozilla general counsel, in a Wednesday night blog post.
'[It] signals an unwelcome return to the digital dark ages.'​
- Harvey Anderson, Mozilla General Counsel

A Microsoft spokesman declined FoxNews.com requests for more information. But the competition had plenty to say.
Facebook mobile apps: Bad on purpose?
Anderson argued that Windows 8 RT -- a version of the Windows OS rewritten from the ground up to support the ARM processors powering nearly every tablet and smartphone today -- prohibits any browser but Internet Explorer from running the classic Windows desktop.
“This means that only Internet Explorer will be able to perform many of the advanced computing functions vital to modern browsers in terms of speed, stability, and security to which users have grown accustomed.”
“Given that IE can run in Windows on ARM, there is no technical reason to conclude other browsers can’t do the same,” Anderson wrote.
His words were emphatically echoed by Google, maker of the Chrome browser.
“We share the concerns Mozilla has raised regarding the Windows 8 environment restricting user choice and innovation,” a Google spokeswoman told FoxNews.com. “We've always welcomed innovation in the browser space across all platforms and strongly believe that having great competitors makes us all work harder."
40 percent of 911 calls mistakenly "butt-dialed"
"In the end, consumers and developers benefit the most from robust competition.”
The issue is how the application is written. Some Windows apps rely on the powerful Win32 APIs Microsoft has built for programmers, apps like Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Word. They won’t run on ARM-powered Windows devices (basically any Windows tablets).
Those APIs are necessary for modern browsers, argued Mozilla spokesman Asa Dotzler -- and only Internet Explorer will have access.
“Without that access, no other browser has a prayer of being competitive with IE,” he wrote.
Windows on ARM, or Windows 8 RT, is clearly planned for tablets, and the forthcoming OS has been redesigned to support such devices, with a brand new touch interface called Metro. Anderson said he worries about the larger market.
"The forecast suggests ARM [chips] will move into traditional PCs and laptops," he told FoxNews.com. ARM chips are already in servers, he noted.
"Our concern is that, as ARM transitions into traditional PC and laptops, we could end up in a place where because it’s Windows RT, there’s no browser choice."
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012...ox-from-windows-8-mozilla-says/#ixzz1uZJWtjlb

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
Fuck Microsoft. Also, some features that are being built into OS X Mountain Lion indicate that Apple is going a similar direction.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
From someone who has used IE consistently for the past 14 years, I finally had to throw in the towel a few weeks ago and switch to Chrome. IE9 sucks a fat dick.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
I think the key phrase is "certain versions of [Windows 8]"

I was able to install FF 13 on my Win8 RC laptop.
If the tablet version is locked to an ARM processor, that's what may be blocking the install of certain software.

I'd also like to use FF on my iPhone and iPad, but I can't - why isn't Mozilla crying about that? Or are they?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Unfortunately that isn't a browser, it just gives you access to your desktop bookmarks and such on your iPhone or iPad. The only other browser available on iOS besides Safari is Dolphin I think.
You can get Opera for the iPhone. It does all the crunching on an external server, so it works a bit differently from Safari (and if Opera servers are down the browser won't work). There are also Flash-capable browser apps like Skyfire.

And seriously, MS and Apple should just stop it. Make your OS and let other people handle the browsing. Who cares about dumb Safari or IE?

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Can't be monopolistic on a platform that no one uses. Windows 8 mobile version will be on 1% of devices at best.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Can't be monopolistic on a platform that no one uses. Windows 8 mobile version will be on 1% of devices at best.
I hate agreeing with you, but you may be right.
Windows tablets have never sold well. There's nothing in past hardware that has indicated that a new Windows tablet will break that trend.
Laptops have become lighter, faster (especially with SSDs), and more efficient battery users. Why bother with a shitty tablet with a shitty touchscreen, and shitty UI, when a laptop works perfectly well?

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Microsoft learned their lesson from the beating they took in the 90's. I doubt they'd try the same thing again, especially in a market they're losing badly in, without good hardware based reason.