Multi-monitor / Multi-user questions

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
I work for a county government and the Health Department is wanting a multimedia type setup for emergency situations. Kind of like a situation room. I'll lay out what he wants to do, and then the options I know of. Hopefully some of you more smarter than me with this will have better ideas.

Scenario: 4 users each with their own laptop in a conference room where their display is shown on 4 large screen LCDs attached to the wall. (Where each person can see what the other is doing) Wanting to do this without cords running everywhere.

Health Dept guy's desired solution: One server type machine that allows each of the 4 users to connect and display their desktops on the 4 large LCD monitors respectively.

My response:

Solution 1: I don't think 4 users can connect to one PC and view their displays simultaneously. The server for the room probably isn't necessary. This route is possible by purchasing extra long display cables and running cables from the LCD displays up through the ceiling and down through a conduit to a conference table or through a conduit in the floor up through the conference table then plugging into the laptops.

Solution 2: Have 4 fairly inexpensive desktop systems in the room hooked up the the 4 LCDs. Being connected via wireless to the network, then do a remote connection from the laptop to the desktops. (not even sure if this is possible either)

Solution 3: Still have 4 fairly inexpensive desktops systems each with a cordless mouse and keyboard. (unsure about range with newer peripherals and interference with each other in such close quarters. Fairly small room so the range would be 10 to 15 feet) And rather than using their laptops, would just use the cordless mouse and keyboards.

We'll have about $3K to spend (not counting the 4 large LCDs). And he does not want to use projectors. Any input would be greatly appreciated. It's kind of funny when I tell them at work I'll check around this weekend and I really mean that I'll check in with Wackbag.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
I'll check back. I use duel monitors and love it. But you post is too long and my head hurts right now.

MAV

Nov 23, 2005
Denver, CO
yeah i run dual monitors as well. ill see what i can find out for ya.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Scenario 3 is probably no go. Most wireless keyboards/mice are generally not effective beyond 6 feet. There are longer range ones, but much more expensive.

Scenario 2 is very doable using Remote Desktop Connection, but may be overkill

A relatively cheap and easy solution is probably a combination of 1 and 2:

Use the laptops each loaded with a VNC server (UltraVNC or some other flavor).
A PC with quad display capability. Easy enough, just need two double-headed graphics cards.

From the PC, create a viewing port over the network using VNC to each of the laptops and display each instance of VNC on its own monitor.

VNC is free.

PC should be under $1000

I do remote support using a combination of VNC and Remote Desktop, and often have more than one session running without a problem.

The plus is that you could actually display more than the four sessions if necessary.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
Scenario 3 is probably no go. Most wireless keyboards/mice are generally not effective beyond 6 feet. There are longer range ones, but much more expensive.

Scenario 2 is very doable using Remote Desktop Connection, but may be overkill

A relatively cheap and easy solution is probably a combination of 1 and 2:

Use the laptops each loaded with a VNC server (UltraVNC or some other flavor).
A PC with quad display capability. Easy enough, just need two double-headed graphics cards.

From the PC, create a viewing port over the network using VNC to each of the laptops and display each instance of VNC on its own monitor.

VNC is free.

PC should be under $1000

I do remote support using a combination of VNC and Remote Desktop, and often have more than one session running without a problem.

The plus is that you could actually display more than the four sessions if necessary.
I think blue tooth wireless can go much further.

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
Appreciate it. I like the idea of using the VNC and I think that falls more in line with what the Health Department guy wants to do. I knew I could count on you guys.