Murderer Sues State of Ohio over Prison Meal Prep

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
http://news.yahoo.com/ohio-muslim-inmates-sue-over-meal-preparation-152909933.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A Muslim death row inmate says the Ohio prison system is denying him meals prepared according to Islamic law while at the same time providing kosher meals to Jewish prisoners, according to a federal lawsuit that alleges a civil rights violation.

The state said Monday that it has already removed pork from its menus in response to the lawsuit brought by condemned inmate Abdul Awkal, who argues the prison system's failure to provide halal meals is a restraint on his religious freedoms.

Awkal, joined by a second inmate not on death row, says the vegetarian and non-pork options offered by the Department of Rehabilitation and Correction aren't good enough. The inmates say food must be prepared in specific fashion, such as ensuring that an animal is butchered by slitting its throat and draining its blood, to conform to Islamic beliefs.

"The issue of eating Halal meals is especially important to me because I face a death sentence," Awkal said in a filing in federal court earlier this year. "It is important to me that I follow the requirements of my faith as I approach death."

The state's recent decision to drop pork from all meals accommodates religious preferences without jeopardizing security, said Carlo LoParo, spokesman for the state corrections department. It "eliminates any doubt that Muslims or any inmate who has a specific prohibition against pork products receives pork inadvertently or otherwise," he said.

"It's a concession that we can make that doesn't compromise other aspects of our operation," he said.

But Monday's announcement doesn't solve that meat isn't slaughtered in the appropriate way for Muslim inmates who adhere to religious tradition, said David Singleton, executive director of the Ohio Justice and Policy Center, which brought the lawsuit on Awkal's behalf. He said the lawsuit will continue.

A judge has given lawyers and inmates for the state until next month to finish filing documents bolstering their arguments, ahead of an expected January trial.

Awkal, 52, is scheduled to die in June for killing his estranged wife, Latife Awkal, and brother-in-law Mahmoud Abdul-Aziz in 1992, in a room in Cuyahoga County Domestic Relations Court.

Joining Awkal in the lawsuit is Cornelius Causey, 35, serving 15 years to life for murder and aggravated robbery convictions out of Hamilton County.

Ohio argues that it provides both non-pork and vegetarian meals to Muslims and says the courts have sided with this practice. The state also says that providing halal meals could hurt Ohio financially, given the current budget situation.

"The complete restructuring of ODRC's food service administration and preparation, at a cost of millions to the State of Ohio during fiscal crisis, is at stake," Ryan Dolan, an assistant attorney general, argued in a court filing.

Ohio included in its response to the lawsuit a document from a Muslim who does regular spiritual counseling of Muslim inmates.

While Imam Sunni-Ali Islam said he thought it was problematic that Ohio provided kosher but not halal meals, he said he doesn't think it rises to the level of religious discrimination.

The state's prison guidelines for Jewish prisoners say, "The Department will accommodate kosher dietary restrictions to recognized Jewish inmates." Kosher guidelines also address proper ways to slaughter animals and prepare meat.

For Muslim inmates, prison rules say, "The diet will be free of all pork and products containing or derived from pork. The institution will provide nutritionally adequate meat and non-meat alternatives."

Ohio spends about $3.50 to $7 on kosher meals compared to $1.70 for regular meals, LoParo said. He would not comment on the lawsuit itself beyond documents filed in support of the state position.

California provides packaged kosher meals to Jewish inmates and halal meals prepared at prisons for Muslim prisoners. Meats used for the halal meals are cooked separately from other prison food, said spokesman Paul Herke.

The state serves about 4,100 halal meals a day at a cost of about $3.50 per day, compared with about $2.90 a day for regular prison meals.

"We would consider that a pretty nominal difference," Herke said.

Arizona provides vegetarian and other options to satisfy the halal requirement but does not provide meals specifically dubbed halal.

Similarly, Muslim inmates in Texas can select regular, meat-free or pork-free meals but are not served halal meals. Massachusetts serves both kosher and halal meals.

Ohio says requiring halal meals could mean new dietary plans for as many as 2,000 inmates, while Awkal's lawyers believe the figure is lower because not all Muslims eat halal meals.
:action-sm

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Guess he should have committed and been convicted of that murder in a Muslim country if he was that worried about this bullshit.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
Guess he should have committed and been convicted of that murder in a Muslim country if he was that worried about this bullshit.
That's just ignorant.

Murder is legal in Muslim countries.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Charming fella:

Summary of Offense:

On January 7, 1992, Awkal murdered his estranged wife, 22-year-old Latife Awkal, and his brother-in-law, 24-year-old Mahmoud Abdul-Aiz, at the Cuyahoga Domestic Relations Court. Awkal was angry at Mrs. Awkal and Mr. Abdul-Aiz because Mrs. Awkal had filed for divorce and custody of their 16-month-old daughter. Awkal chased Mrs. Awkal and Mr. Abdul-Aiz into a room in the courthouse and shot them both at close range. Awkal was arrested in the courthouse, and he later confessed to police.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Tmb. They're funny fuckers.

Stig

Wackbag's New Favorite Heel
Jul 26, 2005
NH
Why doesn't some Ordinary Decent Prisoner just kill him?

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
It'd be terrible if a guard slipped some pork in his last meal and told him after he ate :)

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
The state said Monday that it has already removed pork from its menus in response to the lawsuit brought by condemned inmate Abdul Awkal, who argues the prison system's failure to provide halal meals is a restraint on his religious freedoms.
You're in fucking PRISON, it's a restraint on ALL of your freedoms you dumb motherfucker. That's the goddamn point. Oh and fuck the prison for serving kosher meals too. I was in the U.S. Marine Corps and we didn't get Kosher or Halal meals, we all got the same shitty food. I literally saw a box of frozen meat that was labeled, "for prison and institutional use only". That's how you know you are getting high quality shit!

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
You're in fucking PRISON, it's a restraint on ALL of your freedoms you dumb motherfucker. That's the goddamn point. Oh and fuck the prison for serving kosher meals too. I was in the U.S. Marine Corps and we didn't get Kosher or Halal meals, we all got the same shitty food. I literally saw a box of frozen meat that was labeled, "for prison and institutional use only". That's how you know you are getting high quality shit!
This. If it's good enough for our warriors to eat, then some low life jailbird should feel lucky that the state even feeds him the same grade of food. Fuck your goat fucking, eating, religion.

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
Just feed him the remaining bullets in the gun he killed his wife and brother-in-law with. He CONFESSED to the crime, so there isn't a chance in hell he didn't do it, so fuck his rights; he lost them as soon as he pulled the trigger IN A MOTHERFUCKING COURTHOUSE. Fucking savage. So now my taxes will go up to feed some fucking murderer his special little meals? Fuck, my religion specifies tenderloin steak done to perfection and a potato side dish of my choice.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
My ultra lib friend interrupted me when I was about to mention Halal. He's always the first to jump on people for saying bad things about Muslims.

This chick was saying there is a Halal place. She goes to explain, "Yeah, Halal, you know..."

Me: "Yeah they prepare it by---"
Douche: "Cleanly and humanely, yeah."

I chuckled, he gave me a shitty look. I just kept my mouth shut. Sometimes you just have to let stupid people be stupid, and have the common courtesy to not let them show that stupidity while doing an apologist knee-jerk freakout in front of a chick (guaranteed that's what it would have escalated to, I think I've mentioned this guy in other threads). I can't wait until this shit comes up when there aren't girls around. This guy must think Halal means injecting it with happy drugs and putting it to sleep in a doggy bed.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
[YT]x7kNMPbR1-M[/YT]

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
My ultra lib friend interrupted me when I was about to mention Halal. He's always the first to jump on people for saying bad things about Muslims.

This chick was saying there is a Halal place. She goes to explain, "Yeah, Halal, you know..."

I chuckled, he gave me a shitty look. I just kept my mouth shut. Sometimes you just have to let stupid people be stupid, and have the common courtesy to not let them show that stupidity while doing an apologist knee-jerk freakout in front of a chick (guaranteed that's what it would have escalated to, I think I've mentioned this guy in other threads). I can't wait until this shit comes up when there aren't girls around. This guy must think Halal means injecting it with happy drugs and putting it to sleep in a doggy bed.
You should've told him the truth: they fuck the poor animals to death.

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
Aug 30, 2005
woodland critter christmas park nj

really? you can't speak your mind if women are around? pussy hole. if some bitch is sympathetic to muslims, i'm certainly not sticking my dick in her.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
really? you can't speak your mind if women are around? pussy hole. if some bitch is sympathetic to muslims, i'm certainly not sticking my dick in her.
That's not it sir.

I can't speak my mind around this dude without him freaking out. He was trying to get laid so I did him a solid and prevented a scene from happening. This guy is about as hypocritical and apologist as you can get.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
That's not it sir.

I can't speak my mind around this dude without him freaking out. He was trying to get laid so I did him a solid and prevented a scene from happening. This guy is about as hypocritical and apologist as you can get.
Fuck him then.
Why are you friends with this jackass?

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
That's not it sir.

I can't speak my mind around this dude without him freaking out. He was trying to get laid
You fool. There's nothing like a passionate back and forth about Politics, to get a lady's juices flowing.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
Fuck him then.
Why are you friends with this jackass?
I can't tell you how many times I've asked myself that same question.

I hang out in a group, as many of us do. Recently our group discovered (yes, recently) that this guy is a complete and utter douchebag. We've all done our best to ignore him. The problem is, nobody actually has the balls to tell him that he's being a jackass, because he is so much of a pussy and we respect him enough to not let him sob and cry in front of people.

But that only goes so far. He calls me up all the time wanting to hang out and go hunting for chicks, and I usually am able to ignore the dude for about a couple weeks until he starts acting like a clingy girlfriend and asking me what my problem is.

So basically, I hang out with him because I feel bad.

He's a great wingman, though. Tends to cockblock himself, then blame me for it even after I get the number he wanted. trollol