Muslim Republican Gets Heckled as "Terrorist"

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Stay classy Repubs...

TUESDAY, SEP 27, 2011 14:46 ET
Muslim Republican heckled as "terrorist"

A Muslim activist seeking a position in the south Florida GOP was rejected 158-11 at a raucous meeting
BY JUSTIN ELLIOTT

Nezar Hamze

A few weeks ago I profiled Nezar Hamze, a Muslim activist and Republican in south Florida whose quest to join a local GOP committee prompted accusations that he is un-American and that Islam is incompatible with the Constitution.

Last night, the Broward Republican Executive Committee met to consider Hamze's application to become a voting member, a meeting that ended with him being called a "terrorist' by hecklers and an unprecedented 158-11 vote to deny him membership.

The usually perfunctory approval process for BREC membership was changed at the meeting in order to publicly vet Hamze and to then vote on his application using a secret ballot. He was the only one of 11 candidates rejected.

The Miami Herald was there:

At times, when he addressed the packed room at the Sheraton Suites in Fort Lauderdale, a few members shouted out among the crowd of about 300.

“Terrorist!” said one man.

“Let him speak!” said another. …

“I don’t have a positive impression of Mr. Hamze. I don’t think he will be an asset to our party,” said Scott Spages, who is involved in programs concerning radical Islam at his church, Calvary Chapel Fort Lauderdale. …

A new litmus test was then born: Do you support Rep. Allen West? The tea-party Republican has repeatedly denounced Islam and clashed with Hamze. So has Joe Kaufman, chairman of the group Americans Against Hate and former vice-chairman of the Republican Jewish Coalition of South Florida. “Are you willing to support Congressman Allen West… as a Republican?” Kaufman said loudly in the microphone. “Will you denounce terrorism?"

Some Republicans told the Herald they objected to the fact that Hamze is the director of the Florida branch of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, citing the fact that CAIR was named an "unindicted co-conspirator" in a material support for terrorism case in Texas several years ago. The list of "co-conspirators" in that case -- which involved sending money to the Palestinian organization Hamas -- ran to more than 300 groups and individuals, none of whom were charged with breaking the law.

Joe Kaufman, who Hamze told me today appeared to be the leader of the effort to vote down his candidacy, is a former Republican Jewish Coalition official who now leads a group called Americans Against Hate. His ideology is perhaps best captured in a eulogy he wrote for the extremist rabbi Meir Kahane.

Hamze, for his part, told me he rose at the meeting to respond to his critics, telling the crowd, "All of this terrorism stuff is garbage. I'm a law-abiding citizen. I follow the Constitution. I love my children. I love this country."

He plans to attend Broward Republican meetings as a member of the public.

"They can't stop me from attending the meetings. I believe I can accomplish my goals of helping the party and introducing a Muslim Republican to candidates so they know Muslim Republicans are out there," he said.

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/09/27/florida_gop_rejects_muslim/index.html

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
You mean the same types of people that cheer for people who die from access to affordable healthcare and boo gay servicemembers would have prejudices against Muslims? Say it ain't so!

Stig

Making America So Great You Won't Believe It.
Jul 26, 2005
NH
You mean the same types of people that cheer for people who die from access to affordable healthcare and boo gay servicemembers would have prejudices against Muslims? Say it ain't so!
He'd probably do much better with the types of people who kill babies and hate anyone who has any type of religious belief. :trollol:

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Four fucking people. Two "applauded the kid dying on hospital steps" (even though that's out of context), one booed the gay serviceman, and one dude yelled "terrorist" here. You're quite a bigoted and stereotyping person, basing your judgement of an entire group off the actions of a few. :action-sm

I don't agree with calling him a terrorist, but CAIR is a fucked up group and would never support someone prominent in it.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Four fucking people. Two "applauded the kid dying on hospital steps" (even though that's out of context), one booed the gay serviceman, and one dude yelled "terrorist" here. You're a bigoted fucker basing your judgement of an entire group off the actions of a few. :action-sm

I don't agree with calling him a terrorist, but CAIR is a fucked up group and would never support someone prominent in it.
Yup. I don't give a shit what party you want to be part of, if you are associated with CAIR - not interested.

Dec 4, 2010
Glassboro, NJ
Four fucking people. Two "applauded the kid dying on hospital steps" (even though that's out of context), one booed the gay serviceman, and one dude yelled "terrorist" here. You're quite a bigoted and stereotyping person, basing your judgement of an entire group off the actions of a few. :action-sm

Relax. Mayr has been grasping at straws for a long time. At least as long as I have been here.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO

I'm not judging the guys who made these outbursts, I'm judging the hundreds of others around them who refused to condemn these actions.

caniseeyourtaint

Passive agressive douche
Feb 26, 2004
Ocean County, NJ
I'm not judging the guys who made these outbursts, I'm judging the hundreds of others around them who refused to condemn these actions.
You mean sorta like the muslim community and it's leaders who fail to condemn terrorism properly? A community that this guy is a member of? :action-sm

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Like who? Gary Johnson condemned the booing of the gay serviceman, as did every single right-leaning talk show host I have heard talk about it... as would most conservatives on this board.

How about you condemn the liberals who have been caught at Tea Party rallies spouting hateful speech to try and make them look bad? Or did you stand up and condemn the hateful signs regarding Bush and other Republicans during the anti-war rallies?

The fact is, as much as it pains people like you, the Tea Party really is overwhelmingly people concerned with fiscal responsibility. One of the greatest things that would come from electing Herman Cain President would be just to mock liberals with their same logic for the next 4 or 8 years.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Like who? Gary Johnson condemned the booing of the gay serviceman, as did every single right-leaning talk show host I have heard talk about it... as would most conservatives on this board.
Waiting until after a speech to see what your handlers tell you to say is not a real stinging condemnation.

How about you condemn the liberals who have been caught at Tea Party rallies spouting hateful speech to try and make them look bad? Or did you stand up and condemn the hateful signs regarding Bush and other Republicans during the anti-war rallies?

Liberals like this guy?

The fact is, as much as it pains people like you, the Tea Party really is overwhelmingly people concerned with fiscal responsibility. One of the greatest things that would come from electing Herman Cain President would be just to mock liberals with their same logic for the next 4 or 8 years.
Then why do they rally around people who have no iota of fiscal responsibility like Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann?

And then there's people like this

They look like they are 100% fiscal responsibility driven, no?

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Four fucking people. Two "applauded the kid dying on hospital steps" (even though that's out of context), one booed the gay serviceman, and one dude yelled "terrorist" here.
It was more than that. There were three different people booing the gay serviceman alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuqFkbLkST4

Then there's this:
After the vote, Broward Executive Committee Chairman Richard DeNapolis said simply: "Mr. Hamze, your membership has been denied."
The crowd cheered loudly.
That's fine, they have every right to vote on who gets into the membership. Just thought the hecklin', hootin' and a-hollerin' was a bit over-the-top (Thanks AP).

afternoonquil

Apology Ostrich
Apr 2, 2011
Sounds like the hecklers were liberal moles implanted by Obama cronies.

It's not really a stretch. I Was part of the tea party's sabotage unit called the Don't Tread on Me Avengers. Last election we confiscated thousands of lawn campaign signs and ripped the tags off of Dem candidates furniture and mattresses

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Waiting until after a speech to see what your handlers tell you to say is not a real stinging condemnation.

Liberals like this guy?

Then why do they rally around people who have no iota of fiscal responsibility like Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann?

And then there's people like this

They look like they are 100% fiscal responsibility driven, no?
Again, you're finding a couple of people/pictures out of tens of thousands of members... also obviously the people/pictures the media will focus on. They're not going to feature a 45 year old businessman talking about fiscal responsibility, because that's boring... even though he would pretty much be the best representation of the core ideals of the party.

I'm not going to start searching the internet for pictures exemplifying racism and bigotry displayed by liberals. You and I both know I can find just as many pictures supporting that point as you can yours. If you really think that a large percentage of the Tea Party a) hates gays in the military, b) is heartless and for people dying in the streets, and c) are driven by racism... then you're a moron.

Don't feel bad though, you're in the company of Janeane Garofalo, Danny Glover, and Michael Moore. That should make you proud.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
You probably don't know this, but Gary Johnson's "handlers" consist of two guys that he pretty much doesn't even listen to. You have no idea what you are talking about. Imagine that.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
I don't like the way republicans treat Muslims. They are people just like us. They deserve a shot at success.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I don't like the way republicans treat Muslims. They are people just like us. They deserve a shot at success.
Muslims that have assimilated to our culture, accept our constitution, and aren't prominent in groups that want to alter the foundation of our country and possibly (probably?) fund terrorism deserve a shot at success.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Again, you're finding a couple of people/pictures out of tens of thousands of members... also obviously the people/pictures the media will focus on. They're not going to feature a 45 year old businessman talking about fiscal responsibility, because that's boring... even though he would pretty much be the best representation of the core ideals of the party.

I'm not going to start searching the internet for pictures exemplifying racism and bigotry displayed by liberals. You and I both know I can find just as many pictures supporting that point as you can yours. If you really think that a large percentage of the Tea Party a) hates gays in the military, b) is heartless and for people dying in the streets, and c) are driven by racism... then you're a moron.

Don't feel bad though, you're in the company of Janeane Garofalo, Danny Glover, and Michael Moore. That should make you proud.
I see you failed to address my point of how superstars like Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann are Tea Party superstars and yet they represent some of the worst politics has to offer.

Dec 4, 2010
Glassboro, NJ
I see you failed to address my point of how superstars like Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann are Tea Party superstars and yet they represent some of the worst politics has to offer.
Notice how the only people that are obsessed with Palin and co. and think of them as superstars are liberals.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
Republicans are a bunch of racists. They know nothing. Liberals know everything. Muslims are nice people.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Notice how the only people that are obsessed with Palin and co. and think of them as superstars are liberals.
Who do you think is paying six figures for her speaking engagements? Liberals? Not to mention she's had a TV show and a Hollywood movie produced about her.