Must see dash-cam video: Lawsuit after WI police officer chases volunteer firefighter

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
http://networkedblogs.com/EkKLH

vid at the link of the chase

Brooklyn volunteer firefighter Dan Dean, 37, alleges Oregon police officer Ted Gilbertson overreacted when Gilbertson drew his gun and held it near Dean’s head during a June traffic stop in the Brooklyn Fire Station parking lot.
Dean had just sped to the station in his private vehicle after being paged. Gilbertson had begun pursuing him several miles out, apparently in response to an earlier call elsewhere in the county of a motorist possibly impersonating a police officer. Both Dean and Gilbertson were using lights and sirens.
The department’s internal investigation cleared officer Gilbertson of any wrongdoing and accused Dean of recklessly responding to a non-emergency.
Dean was cited for failing to yield to an emergency vehicle. He is contesting the ticket.
The call ended up being a refrigerator fire.

Gorilla Pimp

Popped a molly i'm sweatin, WOO
Nov 2, 2009
Mobile, AL
That headline stinks. The cop didn't do anything wrong, and neither did the volunteer firefighter guy.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
Dan Dean is a cunt. The cops were absolutely in the right here. I don't see anything that makes me think Gilbertson was out of line. In fact, I have a hard time believing Dean's claim that he didn't pull over because he thought the cop was going to the same place.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Did the cop ask him "Where's the fire?".... tsss tsss

And all the volunteer guys have at least like front faced red light... either like an old school dome light on the dash or there is a few guys that have light bars on their trucks. No sirens though.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I could've sworn that volunteer fire fighters to get those lights on their personal vehicle aren't legally given any extra allowance regarding driving laws.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I could've sworn that volunteer fire fighters to get those lights on their personal vehicle aren't legally given any extra allowance regarding driving laws.
Dunno about other states... but basically they have to follow all speeding etc laws here... but people should pull over to let them pass though.

Note I think the full time guys get the sneaky Pete blue light kit/sirens for their own personal cars (the Chief and the Captain do) in this town. Was odd to see a Ford Contour screaming down my road with blue lights and a siren blaring.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
1)We have blue light permits...only the Chiefs can have red lights here. Boy you should see the way some of the wackers here trick out their cars. My favorite is the slick guy who talked his volunteer company into buying him a Hummer 2 that was promptly totally Wackered out.
2)....90 MPH in a 35-55 area is a bit excessive to be responding to your fire house for a call..POV or not.
3) I have heard that "we had reports" story before from cops..it is or was a classic way for them to say "I fucked up" without actually having to say "I fucked up". I had a guy about 6-7 years ago who pulled me over..(I think I actually made a thread about it) who basically gave me the "we had reports" story.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
1)We have blue light permits...only the Chiefs can have red lights here. Boy you should see the way some of the wackers here trick out their cars. My favorite is the slick guy who talked his volunteer company into buying him a Hummer 2 that was promptly totally Wackered out.
2)....90 MPH in a 35-55 area is a bit excessive to be responding to your fire house for a call..POV or not.
3) I have heard that "we had reports" story before from cops..it is or was a classic way for them to say "I fucked up" without actually having to say "I fucked up". I had a guy about 6-7 years ago who pulled me over..(I think I actually made a thread about it) who basically gave me the "we had reports" story.
You call them wackers too? I thought it was only a South Jersey thing.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Ya we have a volunteer guy who has a red F150 and a full light bar on top... not as bad as MotorHeads neighbor though... well I haven't seen the truck in a bit.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
Ya we have a volunteer guy who has a red F150 and a full light bar on top... not as bad as MotorHeads neighbor though... well I haven't seen the truck in a bit.
We have three of those guys. One is that ugly Toyota truck, firetruck red with huge vinyls on the windows a light bar and a rack with various axes and shovels and whatnot.

I'll post pics of the nonsense next time I see it.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
We have three of those guys. One is that ugly Toyota truck, firetruck red with huge vinyls on the windows a light bar and a rack with various axes and shovels and whatnot.

I'll post pics of the nonsense next time I see it.
Ya next time I go down to the hospital I'll see if it is there... as the town fire station is right beside the hospital.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Most cops know all the volleys here. They all hang out in the FF together and respond to the same calls.