My computer is slow to open new boxes!?!?!

Nov 7, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
I have a Gateway Laptop and all of the sudden it is giving me problems. It takes forever to open up an Internet Explorer window. Once it opens though, it works just fine, but it takes at least 3 mins for the window to just open. I know that sounds like no big deal, but it should do it right away. All other programs on my computer, like Microsoft Word or my Outlook opens up just fine. I have Virus protection and everything, so I have no idea why it just started doing this.

Does anyone have any good suggetions to fix this? It is driving me crazy. Thanks!

[OnA]UncleMo

Jun 27, 2007
Parker CO
Stop looking at pr0n?

/shrug

Have you updated to the latest edition of IE? If you feel you have enough ram, and no virusus, perhaps a clean install of windows will do the trick. I'm not sure what else to tell ya; IE is (wrongly) embedded into Windows.

For fun, download and install Netscape or Firefox. See if those browsers start up rapidly.

Lastly, call your internet provider and have them make sure the connection looks good on their end. IE may be having trouble linking with your service.

GonzoRadio

I like yoguuuuuurt
Nov 26, 2005
NYC
1. Do you have this problem only when your computer first boots, or at any time? When you first get into Windows, there are still programs and services loading in the background which slow down your computer.

2. Is it every time you load IE; or is it only the first time you load IE... every new IE window opened after the first one loads up quickly? Its possible that all of IE's components are not loaded up until the first time you open an IE window.

3. (Building off of question #2) 3 minutes seems like a long time by any standard. Do you use IE plug ins such as a tool bar or something? These components may be what are causing the issue.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
What spyware suite are your using? Some of them, Norton, MacFuckingV, et al suck up too many resources, IMO.

Nov 7, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
I have been using this computer for over 2 years and have just now started having problems. I use Norton Antivirus. I will updated my IE and see if that helps. I can not even open up the XM link to listen online anymore. I have no idea why this is happening, and it is pissing me off!

I use no plugins or toolbars as far as I know by the way. It also happens everytime I open up IE. Not just the first time.

By the way, what is the link to update my IE? I can not seem to get to it.

Thanks for you advice, I will try all of them.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
On my new Toshiba laptop with Vista Ultimate, I had to delete McFee because it was taking way too fucking long to open anything in IE. Deleted that POS pogram and downloaded FireFox and it's been running so much better.

GonzoRadio

I like yoguuuuuurt
Nov 26, 2005
NYC
On my new Toshiba laptop with Vista Ultimate, I had to delete McFee because it was taking way too fucking long to open anything in IE. Deleted that POS pogram and downloaded FireFox and it's been running so much better.
I'm not a big advocate of AV programs...I find that they often suck more resources (over time) than any virus could (virus often do suck tons of resources....but how long could it go on without you noticing)? If you don't use IE in XP or previous version of windows (IE7 on vista may be SAFER than firefox because it runs in as a very low privileged user) and don't open up every executable that comes up at you, I actually suggest not running AV programs (or just using them to scan a file before opening it).

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
I'm not a big advocate of AV programs...I find that they often suck more resources (over time) than any virus could (virus often do suck tons of resources....but how long could it go on without you noticing)? If you don't use IE in XP or previous version of windows (IE7 on vista may be SAFER than firefox because it runs in as a very low privileged user) and don't open up every executable that comes up at you, I actually suggest not running AV programs (or just using them to scan a file before opening it).

I must agree. Besides the huge amount of resources these programs take, THEY DONT WORK! Most of the computers i do spyware removal on have Norton or McAfee installed, and they still get infected.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
THEY DONT WORK! Most of the computers i do spyware removal on have Norton or McAfee installed, and they still get infected.
blazin is online now Report Post Reply With Quote
So fucking true. They both stink and are useless. I have heard that the corporate versions are better, but who really knows. They're basically bloatware much like IE, IMO.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Another possible reason is your hard drive data is corrupted.
Run a through Scan Disk & Defrag.

MetalSign

O&A Curmudgeon
Dec 22, 2002
Orlando, FL
So fucking true. They both stink and are useless. I have heard that the corporate versions are better, but who really knows. They're basically bloatware much like IE, IMO.

My box runs commando too. 7+ years with 3 different computers (all upgrades and built from parts I bought) and I've never run with AV progs. I've installed 'em before and they bog everything down.

Careful intrawebz surfing and not opening every ridiculous spam email I get have let me run clean and clear for all that time.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
Another possible reason is your hard drive data is corrupted.
Run a through Scan Disk & Defrag.
how come when i try to run my scan disk, or defrag it starts goes to 1% starts over... repeat, repeat... etc... never goes past 1%?

GonzoRadio

I like yoguuuuuurt
Nov 26, 2005
NYC
My box runs commando too. 7+ years with 3 different computers (all upgrades and built from parts I bought) and I've never run with AV progs. I've installed 'em before and they bog everything down.

Careful intrawebz surfing and not opening every ridiculous spam email I get have let me run clean and clear for all that time.
Keeping your machine fully patched (which is ridiculously easy these days) goes a long way too... Patches are how 90-95% of exploits are "found" by hackers; they decompile the patch and see what "hole" it fixes. Then they create a program (virus, worm, trojan horse) that exploits that hole on unpatched systems.

Picklestyle

Jun 21, 2007
Alabama....ick
in the future try this.

open run: type cmd hit enter
type at the command prompt: netsh winsock reset
hit enter
type exit
restart the pc
after reboot. Open IE. clean your cache, cookies and history.
run the clean up wizard located in your system tools folder.

That should fix any issues not related to virus or spyware infection.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
how come when i try to run my scan disk, or defrag it starts goes to 1% starts over... repeat, repeat... etc... never goes past 1%?
Go to safe mode and run it since there is a process running that is writing to that drive or set it so that when the computer reboots, it runs scandisk before windows.

notmikeh

don't get any cucks on your wee
Jun 8, 2006
I know this will sound stupid but... what is an AV program?

notmikeh

don't get any cucks on your wee
Jun 8, 2006
well now, don't I feel silly