My DIY Bathroom Renovation

blazin

Im thinking about going with a steel tub vs. a cast iron.

I don't care if it lasts 2 or 50 years, it's cheaper, and the biggest thing - lighter. I dont feel like hauling a 315lb tub up my steps.

maz

TRueWDTer
Im thinking about going with a steel tub vs. a cast iron.

I don't care if it lasts 2 or 50 years, it's cheaper, and the biggest thing - lighter. I dont feel like hauling a 315lb tub up my steps.
Weakling

blazin

lol I've deadlifted 460 at the gym. I need 2 people for a tub though. That's the hard part. I can't get anybody to show up to my house, tile guys, plumbers, friends.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
lol I've deadlifted 460 at the gym. I need 2 people for a tub though. That's the hard part. I can't get anybody to show up to my house, tile guys, plumbers, friends.
Beer usually helps.

maz

TRueWDTer
No friends
Get used to it
They tend to go away thru the years
After you've helped them do their shit
Maybe FezMan will help

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
No friends
Get used to it
They tend to go away thru the years
After you've helped them do their shit
Maybe FezMan will help
Who? Dis nigga don’t lift shit. Besides you live closer

blazin

Ill have some demo pics this afternoon. I ripped the shower walls down, found some shitty termite wood, but that was expected. Doesn't look terrible though

blazin

My shower drain is original lead pipe that's going to the main stack, gonna replace this

whats the best way to cut this shit out? Hacksaw? Saw Zall?

What precautions do I need to take to not get lead all over my house and poison myself and my family?

THE FEZ MAN

My shower drain is original lead pipe that's going to the main stack, gonna replace this

What precautions do I need to take to not get lead all over my house and poison myself and my family?
Leave it and just use a rubber junction, your moving fuck the next guy

Haeder

South Dakota

Sawzall.

Don't eat the pipe and you won't get lead poisoning.

Is the stack cast iron? If so, check to see if it's cracked.

Fernco fittings for the win.

blazin

Sawzall.

Don't eat the pipe and you won't get lead poisoning.

Is the stack cast iron? If so, check to see if it's cracked.

Fernco fittings for the win.
Ive already done the stack in 4" PVC, kept the cast vent coming out of the roof, replaced the lead drain for the sink today

Wasn't sure how much debris sawing lead would create. Figure it's heavy so it won't become airborne.

Some fun pics

Some of this wood is fucked. You can see the new wood in the corner. I replaced that when half my shower wall collapsed 2 years ago That open area is my attic. Just put some plastic up to dry to keep the cold air out.

You can see here where I already replaced the stack. The cast part I left is just going out the roof. There's no waste water source any higher.

This is some vapor barrier, my house is cinder block all the way up. There's some nailing strips attached to the block under that for something to screw the drywall to. Wondering if I need to address the areas where I cracked it?

Nothing crazy here.

blazin

Slow last couple days with the holiday and all

Aggravating day today, couldnt find the tub I wanted, supply house closed for day-after-Christmas

pulled up the floor, under the tile was some tar paper over Luan or some shit, so I ripped all that up...left me with a tongue and groove 1x4 subfloor which looks like somebody cut part of out at some point

so i can't put the cement board on top of that, so I'm gonna put down 1/2" plywood, then 1/4" Hardieboard on top of that.

Next I started dabbling into the shower area, I knew there was termite damage in there, im in the process of cutting it out, luckily its not anything structural, at least I don't think it is.

Im having my plumber buddy come over and install the new shower faucet/head, I also am going to replace the original cast iron ideal bend for the toilet, not sure exactly what I'm going to do .

blazin

Tub at home depot was damaged, exchanged it for another. Looked at it in store, seemed OK. Got it back home and took all the styrofoam that was glued onto it...chipped porcelain.

Went to another home depot, they had 2 in stock, both on the very very top shelf. Took 20 minutes to get them down. Both damaged.

Went to another home depot, they had 1. Damaged. Ended up buying another brand which then I had to redo my ledger board for the new height. I still haven't installed it, or even looked at it. Seemed like much better packaging. This is the shit in construction that pisses me off.

Wasted half my day. Also my plumber didnt finish up, he's not coming back though because he's a fucking hack.

blazin

Can anybody tell me if this drain connection is up to code? It's basically a copy of the lead drain & cast pipe that is has been in the house since 1952.

The large 4" vertical pipe is the stack vent as well. From the point pictured, it goes right up through the roof.

Im just not sure if that 45 degree drop is legit. I got a bunch of Facebook plumbers telling me that it's wrong.

THE FEZ MAN

Can anybody tell me if this drain connection is up to code? It's basically a copy of the lead drain & cast pipe that is has been in the house since 1952.

The large 4" vertical pipe is the stack vent as well. From the point pictured, it goes right up through the roof.

Im just not sure if that 45 degree drop is legit. I got a bunch of Facebook plumbers telling me that it's wrong.
You think too much, once the wall board is up, and your house is sold no one is going to know shit, you didn’t pull a permit, so you don’t have an inspector to deal with and even the most through home inspection isn’t going to find that even if it is sketchy

Haeder

South Dakota

It's not up to code but it will probably work just fine.

If you really want feedback post that picture on a plumbers forum. They'll freak out about improper venting and drain slope and they'll ask how you plan to protect the pipes from nails or screws.

blazin

haha i did, and they did

they're telling me to make that pipe horizontal and put a sanitary Tee on it

and that the slope of the pipe could siphon the water out of the trap

Im like, this shit's been like this for 65 years and hasnt had an issue

blazin

You think too much, once the wall board is up, and your house is sold no one is going to know shit, you didn’t pull a permit, so you don’t have an inspector to deal with and even the most through home inspection isn’t going to find that even if it is sketchy
I actually did pull a permit, only because I had a Bagster dumpster out on my curb and Codes drives by non-stop.

But I talked to the inspector, and he told he didn't need to come look at anything, and just call him when I'm completely finished.

blazin

More updates, my assclown plumber put the shower diverter too high in the tub, he did the tub spout in PEX which is WRONG, the spout is too long.

So I bought myself a PEX crimper and redid the lines. Lowered the diverter to the point where it's accessible from the closet behind it. I wanted it higher than it was to modernize it a bit and not have to crouch down to turn on/off/adjust. He had it all the way up top.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
I actually did pull a permit, only because I had a Bagster dumpster out on my curb and Codes drives by non-stop.

But I talked to the inspector, and he told he didn't need to come look at anything, and just call him when I'm completely finished.
you want real help yet? only thing is i aint taking the responsiblity of laying the tile thats all you. ill cut it for you though. hell i can cut you a perfect circle in the middle of a tile