My DIY Bathroom Renovation

Haeder

South Dakota
More updates, my assclown plumber put the shower diverter too high in the tub, he did the tub spout in PEX which is WRONG, the spout is too long.

So I bought myself a PEX crimper and redid the lines. Lowered the diverter to the point where it's accessible from the closet behind it. I wanted it higher than it was to modernize it a bit and not have to crouch down to turn on/off/adjust. He had it all the way up top.

Why did you leave so much of the old lumber in place?

blazin

This is how we've been bathing for the last week or so.

Personally, I don't mind it. Wife is staying calm on the surface but I know she's telling me to go fuck myself under her breath when she's in the shower.

blazin

Why did you leave so much of the old lumber in place?
Versus replacing it all or minimizing it? Thats basically how it was. New wood is just replaced. I added one stud where you can see i sectioned the horizontal piece, only because removing that wood is going to destroy the closet wall behind it.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!

Personally, I don't mind it. Wife is staying calm on the surface but I know she's telling me to go fuck myself under her breath when she's in the shower.

Yep, that's basically what it looked like when my dad decided to redo the bathroom.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Versus replacing it all or minimizing it? Thats basically how it was. New wood is just replaced. I added one stud where you can see i sectioned the horizontal piece, only because removing that wood is going to destroy the closet wall behind it.
not if i was there to show you how to take the studs out without damaging the dry wall on the other side.............

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

When I redid my bathroom I had to take a shower on the back porch with a hose in October, after freezing my ass off, I decided to go to moms and shower

blazin

This new tub has a creak to it when i step around in it that's pissing me off, and I don't want to do any wallboard or tile until it's better

have a new ledger board ran on the long wall and the tub sits on that. Perfectly level.

Mixed some structolite and set it down on the subfloor and set the tub in that.

The problem is the front of the floor is cut open pretty wide for the drain. Probably too much, but I figure if the 300lb cast iron tub I took out survived it, this 90 pound shitbox would, then again, the lack of density may be why it creaks. Gonna fuck with it tomorrow.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
This new tub has a creak to it when i step around in it that's pissing me off, and I don't want to do any wallboard or tile until it's better

have a new ledger board ran on the long wall and the tub sits on that. Perfectly level.

Mixed some structolite and set it down on the subfloor and set the tub in that.

The problem is the front of the floor is cut open pretty wide for the drain. Probably too much, but I figure if the 300lb cast iron tub I took out survived it, this 90 pound shitbox would, then again, the lack of density may be why it creaks. Gonna fuck with it tomorrow.
yes the 300lbs tub put enough weight on the floor to keep it from flexing. id pull the tub out and run 2" screws every 6" into every joist underneath it and everywhere else in the bathroom that creeks. but im just a carpenter what do i know

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Roofers are drunks, payday is Friday afternoon, the titty bar will cash a check
all the white roofers i know do a lot of meth which you can also get easily at the titty bar. mostly so they can keep up with the beaners.

I would have replaced any termite damaged wood with pressure treated base studs...Did that when we redid the kitchen and bathroom...They love the moisture and wood.

We also got a sentricon system installed...no termites for 10+ years now

blazin

Sentricon is a scam, in my opinion. In my house it wouldn't have done shit because when I had a massive swarm two years ago, they came up thru the slab in the middle of my house.

I did the old fashion method, drilled and put in Terminex

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sentricon is a scam, in my opinion. In my house it wouldn't have done shit because when I had a massive swarm two years ago, they came up thru the slab in the middle of my house.

In NYS, you're not allowed, as a homeowner, to administer any poisons without a state approved license. :mad:

MurphCO

Donator
yes the 300lbs tub put enough weight on the floor to keep it from flexing. id pull the tub out and run 2" screws every 6" into every joist underneath it and everywhere else in the bathroom that creeks. but im just a carpenter what do i know
Liberal application of liquid nails doesn’t hurt either

blazin

I worded that all wrong

I had one of these Terminex jerkoffs come and tried to sell me the Sentricon system with the full maintenance. He bothered me for like a week after I told him no thanks.

The chemical that they (not Terminex, the company I hired) used was TERMIDOR

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
I worded that all wrong

I had one of these Terminex jerkoffs come and tried to sell me the Sentricon system with the full maintenance. He bothered me for like a week after I told him no thanks.

The chemical that they (not Terminex, the company I hired) used was TERMIDOR
Other states, can buy shit over the counter and apply it themselves, without repercussions.

You can't do that in NYS.

You can't order a 'shit-in-box' kit, without an MD's approval, in NY motherfuck yous.

The whole fucking state is one huge scam, aka 'laws' passed, r@ping your pocket.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Other states, can buy shit over the counter and apply it themselves, without repercussions.

You can't do that in NYS.

You can't order a 'shit-in-box' kit, without an MD's approval, in NY motherfuck yous.

The whole fucking state is one huge scam, aka 'laws' passed, r@ping your pocket.
It’s for your own good because nanny says so

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Liberal application of liquid nails doesn’t hurt either
its a little late for the existing floor and you DO NOT want to put liquid nails between the tub and the old floor. the stuff he put down under the tub originally is the correct stuff to keep the base of the tub from flexing and helps make it level. its just the old 1by they used when the place was built is flexing up and down now because this tub isnt as heavy as the last one. what i said is the only way to fix it

maz

TRueWDTer
Heroin addicts always give the best advice

It's not a scam, no matter how you 'feel' about it. They put bait stations around your home that contain wood sticks pre-doped with bait. The bait is a special chemical that prevents the exoskeleton of the termite from softening when they molt. This means that as they grow they explode inside their own exoskeleton. You will see the foragers in the traps first and then the workers and then finally as the colony is dying the soldiers. They are the last desperate attempt to bring food back to the queen. Once they have all failed to molt the queen loses her food source and starves to death.
One great thing about this is not drilling holes in your foundation...possibly hitting pipes etc and spreading poison all around your property. This is very controlled.

Because termites are always exploring for food and foraging you will have new colonies come in and occupy the same space below/near your house if you stop the system. We live on a slab ranch and had swarmers in the kitchen wood door frame the first year we were here. We demoed the kitchen and discovered that they left the plywood beetween the slabs when they did an addition on the house. The termites were climbing up through the plywood and eating the framed walls of the house.

MurphCO

Donator
its a little late for the existing floor and you DO NOT want to put liquid nails between the tub and the old floor. the stuff he put down under the tub originally is the correct stuff to keep the base of the tub from flexing and helps make it level. its just the old 1by they used when the place was built is flexing up and down now because this tub isnt as heavy as the last one. what i said is the only way to fix it
I agree, i’m Saying to use the liquid nails on the seams of the 1by like right before he sets the screws you suggested. He can’t put it between now, but he can add a layer of structural integrity to the 1by by adding a bead of the liquid nails

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
I agree, i’m Saying to use the liquid nails on the seams of the 1by like right before he sets the screws you suggested. He can’t put it between now, but he can add a layer of structural integrity to the 1by by adding a bead of the liquid nails
oh ok yeah that is true. i thought you meant on the joists. and i added what i said about the tub so he couldnt misunderstand you and do that

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
and yeah putting it in the seams would almost turn the area into 1 solid piece of wood