My DIY Bathroom Renovation

blazin

Dec 9, 2004

The creaking is gone, or almost completely gone. That PVC was ever so slightly rubbing against this wood. Yes, that meant my tub was still moving a bit...

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
It's not a scam, no matter how you 'feel' about it. They put bait stations around your home that contain wood sticks pre-doped with bait. The bait is a special chemical that prevents the exoskeleton of the termite from softening when they molt. This means that as they grow they explode inside their own exoskeleton. You will see the foragers in the traps first and then the workers and then finally as the colony is dying the soldiers. They are the last desperate attempt to bring food back to the queen. Once they have all failed to molt the queen loses her food source and starves to death.
One great thing about this is not drilling holes in your foundation...possibly hitting pipes etc and spreading poison all around your property. This is very controlled.

Because termites are always exploring for food and foraging you will have new colonies come in and occupy the same space below/near your house if you stop the system. We live on a slab ranch and had swarmers in the kitchen wood door frame the first year we were here. We demoed the kitchen and discovered that they left the plywood beetween the slabs when they did an addition on the house. The termites were climbing up through the plywood and eating the framed walls of the house.
I know how it works. It also means you're stuck paying whomever $349 a year for the monitoring. That's what Terminex wanted. They also told me it could take a year for the termites to even find the baits. No thanks.

I'd rather poison the ground completely and be done with it for 8-10 years. An environmentalist I am not.

They drilled inside my garage next to the basement and inside my utility room, all slab areas

MurphCO

Donator
Dec 13, 2011
Parts Unknown
It was going pretty good until the end there where it all fell apart

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Heroin addicts always give the best advice
One of the best roofers I ever met is a raging drunk, it doesn’t effect his work

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ

The creaking is gone, or almost completely gone. That PVC was ever so slightly rubbing against this wood. Yes, that meant my tub was still moving a bit...
thats ok just put more of that stuff under it that you gotta mix. blanking on the name. mix it and just use something to scoop and put it underneath more towards the drain. you prolly a bag and a half when you set the tub. my 3x4 shower stall base need almost 3/4 of a bag

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Still working on this mug

This shower was a bitch, had to plumb all the walls, some up to 3/4 of an inch. Pretty happy with my tile job, first wall job I've ever done. I'm at stage where I'm making all the annoying end cuts. Will be finishing tomorrow and grouting definitely by Sunday. Grout will be a light grey.

My tile saw blows, its only a 7" and its hard to get accurate cuts, for the floor I decided I'm renting one from Depot than can rip 24". Gonna rent it for 4 hours dry cut the floor. Should't be too bad.

other than that its just some spackle sanding and paint.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Looks good, my tile saw sucks too

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Shower officially done, grout & sealed. Just have to add the shower curtain.

Next is finishing the walls, primer, paint, then floor!

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Shower officially done, grout & sealed. Just have to add the shower curtain.

Next is finishing the walls, primer, paint, then floor!

I like it. Well done.

Is the shower head high enough?

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
I like it. Well done.

Is the shower head high enough?
No it's not actually! With that type of head it's too low, at least for 6' me. I got rid of that shower head already. Ive always used one with the hose so I can wash my ass.

I should have raised the pipe, but I didn't. Didn't even think about it because it seemed fine where it was. Kicking myself. Told wife I could fix it relatively easy and she said better not fucking touch it, we're moving.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Did see that, there's different styles too.

The new head we got seems to have solved the height issue though.

I looked at a few of them, but with the new shower head it's the same as it always was. Lived here for going on 8 years and never once was I like "This shower head is too low!" so I think we're good.

On a side note, I went to look at a house today and actually stepped in the bathtub to check their height. Basically same as mine, I guess people were shorter when houses in the 50s and 60s were built.

I sanded my walls and put a coat of primer on. Seeing all sorts of spots that need more attention. So, now Im in a viscious cycle of spackling, sanding, priming, find spots, repeat. Need a 2nd coat regardless of primer because Im using purple drywall and it didnt cover it completely on the 1st.

But I hope to have the 1st basecoat of color on by the time I go to bed tonight (2AMish)

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Ok party people, 2 months in and I'm still working on this

Set the floor the other day. I used these tile leveling systems...this one was the cheapy version from Home Depot....Requires spacers if you want bigger than 1/16" which kind of complicated things...

Theres a better system out there, costs 3x's as much, but the spacers are built into the clips and the wedges are alot bigger. Would use them next time...but these did work. Pretty happy with the evenness

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Ok party people, 2 months in and I'm still working on this

Set the floor the other day. I used these tile leveling systems...this one was the cheapy version from Home Depot....Requires spacers if you want bigger than 1/16" which kind of complicated things...

Theres a better system out there, costs 3x's as much, but the spacers are built into the clips and the wedges are alot bigger. Would use them next time...but these did work. Pretty happy with the evenness

Joey is going to have his safe open before you finish.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Wife insists on having a vanity with drawers to hold her fucking hair dryer... im like deal with it, we're moving, right?

Nothing fits around the plumbing, except one that I found at Lowes and just picked up for close to $500

The goddamn paint was still wet on the thing, smelled like China, sent it back

What's better than cutting into freshly painted drywall to move some valves? I can't think of much. Ahhhh!

Poor planning, yes, but much of my delays are dealing with shitty big box garbage merchandise.

Last edited:

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Wife insists on having a vanity with drawers to hold her fucking hair dryer... im like deal with it, we're moving, right?

Nothing fits around the plumbing, except one that I found at Lowes and just picked up for close to $500

The goddamn paint was still wet on the thing, smelled like China, sent it back

What's better than cutting into freshly painted drywall to move some valves? I can't think of much. Ahhhh!

Poor planning, yes, but much of my delays are dealing with shitty big box garbage merchandise.

Dumbass.

Never buy cabinets from a shitty big box store. A small custom cabinet shop can build you a custom piece that will fit perfectly around the existing plumbing for less money. Cabinet shop guys usually have a few fried brain cells from spraying varnish in an enclosed space. They are usually damn fine craftsmen too.

THE FEZ MAN should start a custom cabinet shop.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Ain't the prettiest, but it doesnt leak (yet)