My grandmother just died...

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
but I'm not sure how I feel. Sure, I'm sad, but not as much as I expected. She was 100 years old (possibly 101 - she was born in Russia and we had a couple of different birthdates for her).

I've been on some meds lately, so I don't know if they are having an effect on my response.

Up until a few years ago, she was totally with it. Her memory went downhill very quickly. She had been otherwise relatively healthy, though in a nursing home near my aunt because of the memory issues. It was really in the last couple of days that her general health declined, but my father didn't say anything. So on one hand, she lived a very long life, but on the other hand, she wasn't really suffering from any debilitating illness. I do feel somewhat guilty because it has been a while since I've seen her, partially because she really didn't recognize anyone but my father and aunt, and even them not all the time.

I was at my brother's house earlier before we got the news. I am moving down to Florida in less than a week, and I was telling him I wanted to go see her before then. Going to the nursing home from where I live is a haul, so I didn't want to go by myself. I guess it doesn't matter now.

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
If anyone in my family reaches 90, let alone 100, I will not be sad when they have to leave. My Uncle just passed away this weekend, he was 58. To soon. Do not feel bad that you are not devastated by the fact you lost a family member who was 100.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
I'm such an asshole that when my grandma dies I'll just be wondering what she has for me in the will.

Aug 12, 2005
PA
Sorry for your loss. She lived a long life. Sounds like farely healthy. Be happy you got to have her in your life as long as you did. Not everyone is that lucky.

thelord68

Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
I'm such an asshole that when my grandma dies I'll just be wondering what she has for me in the will.
My grandfather died nearly 25 years ago and they never really had much money. At that time any money passed to my father and my aunt so that they could make sure that my grandmother was taken care of. My father put his portion in a trust, but my aunt spent hers, so that my father has had to shoulder my grandmothers living expenses. Before the nursing home, she was in a seniors residence. Neither of which is exactly cheap.

Given how long she lived, I doubt there is anything to be left to anyone.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
She had a far above average length life, and then died fast without lingering and suffering. Class act all the way. Say bye at the funeral and remember the good times.

Simby19

I want to have L'il Jimmy's babies
Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like she had a very long life, was surrounded by those that loved her until the end and went peacefully.

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
Condolences chief.
Words are hollow in death.

But for whatever it's worth, don't let it eat at you too much for not visiting recently.
There are a ton of ways to rationalize it, and I trust you'll find the suitable ones.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i didnt even bother going to my grand mothers funeral, i hadn't talked to her in about a year before she died, and my dad even said not to bother because she looked like shit and was totally out of her mind, when she stopped drinking her mind melted and her body fell apart, she spent the last 6months rotting away....... yuck

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Sorry for your loss.

While it sounds like things progressed rapidly, you have to remember that you knew this day would come... & relatively soon. So it takes away from the shock.

I kinda felt that way when my grandmother passed years ago.

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
Oh no.... how did it happen?

My sincere sympathies dude... 100 years is a great innings though, doubt any of our sorry asses will last that long. May her memory live on in all who survive her.

peace.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
I felt sorry about my granparents for a good week.

I figure I,ll die younger and I hated their old people carpet.

Shoooter... nice... watching you.

pure_waves

© Steven Carr Industries, 2014. Grrrrrrrr
Dec 9, 2004
Upper West Side, NY
sorry to read that. like others have written, it sounds like she enjoyed a long life, and the memories of that can be something for you to find solace in down the road.

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
Jeez 100? What was she supposed to do? Keep living? The only guarantee of in life is death. Not sure why people feel the need to make themselves feel sad about it.

Friday

Fezzing Out
May 1, 2007
elsewhere
100 years. Thats just amazing. My hats off to your grammie.....

My mom died at 59. She always said she didn't want people to be solemn and depressed... no Black mourning clothes! Just good conversation, food and drink offered as a celebration of her life.
Imagine how much celebrating is needed for a life of 100 years!

May she rest in peace... and live forever in your heart!

thelord68

Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Thanks for the responses.

I know 100 is a long time, thats mainly why I don't feel so bad about it. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't off-base feeling that way.

BTW, her mother lived well into her 90's as well, and all my other grandparents made it to at least 85 before going relatively suddenly.

Newmania

**I move away from the mic to fuck your mother.
May 15, 2006
The lily white suburbs of Detoilet
Thanks for the responses.

I know 100 is a long time, thats mainly why I don't feel so bad about it. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't off-base feeling that way.

BTW, her mother lived well into her 90's as well, and all my other grandparents made it to at least 85 before going relatively suddenly.
Hopefully you'll have the same longevity.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Hopefully you'll have the same longevity.
qft x2. 100 is quite a feat & a true gift.

I'd rather decline suddenly at that age. or even my 80s.. My GP's all had somewhat debilitating illnesses & lived for a long time with them.

Some have all teh luck. :)