OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo

my latest project

Discussion in 'Wackbag Home Improvement & Car Repair' started by THE FEZ MAN, Feb 12, 2007.

1. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

I will probably just stick to local craft shows

2. Shootr

Shootr OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
    Donator

Not sure I'd have the balls to set up a card table at a farmers market with boxes displaying sex toys...be sure to post pics of the clientele.

3. THE FEZ MAN

Meh, when I was selling my glass stuff I kept the box of dildos and bongs under the table, if someone asked I show them otherwise I just stuck to Christmas balls

4. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

You’re all class.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  5. THE FEZ MAN

I try

6. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

Only thing I get from a hidden box under the table at the farmers market was moonshine. I need to be mindful in the future as I am clearly missing out on glass dildos. (RIP Patrice)

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  7. THE FEZ MAN

8. THE FEZ MAN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought a digital hydrometer to put in it but it was cheep Chinese junk so it isn’t getting one, I made this as an emergency gift, aromatic cedar box, with a glass, cherry and Purple Heart lid

TomC, Shootr, mikeybot and 2 others like this.
  9. hachet_wound

Very nice, sir. Who knew, all those years in a body shop beating metal... there was a dead tree carcass wrangler under there all along.

d0uche_n0zzle and THE FEZ MAN like this.
  10. THE FEZ MAN

Actually before I went to votech for autobody I considered staying in regular high school and sticking with wood shop/industrial arts / art as a major, my biggest problem with wood is cutting stuff too short, and making sure my tools are square I noticed that some times my table saw will tilt a little and that will fuck up everything, I have a little machinist square that I keep right on the saw, every time I change the blade I have to make sure it is still square to the table, and square to the fence, and, I’m cutting the stock square to the fence, another huge problem for me is my “perfectionist” attitude I often forget that I’m basically teaching my self how to do this kind of stuff, my goal is to be able to build a box like that from scratch (full scratch, milling the rough lumber to project ready for a finish) in less than 4 hours, the box in the photo took me about 8 hours over 2 days, I would like to be able to streamline that process, I spend a lot of time resetting my equipment because I don’t yet have the skill to make all the cuts at one time, so I had to cut all the miters and trim them to “stain grade” then cut the rabbit for the glass, then glue it, then cut the slots for the miter pins, then cut the bottom rabbit, that is four different set ups and break downs of the saw, a good craftsman would be able to make all the cuts from measurement, but, my brain just doesn’t work that way.

11. Shootr

Shootr OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
    Donator

I'll PM you my address, THANKS!

I calibrated a simple needle hygrometer (pretty sure it wasn't American/Swiss/Japanese....) with the salt method and it was surprisingly right on the money. Might do that to check yours.

12. THE FEZ MAN

I’m just going to buy a new analog one, actually I will probably buy a couple off Amazon

13. THE FEZ MAN

[​IMG]

Picture frame I made, bought the drunk monkey print in Disney

mikeybot likes this.
  14. THE FEZ MAN

[​IMG]

Two more boxes

Haeder likes this.
  15. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

What's in the box...

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  16. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

The multi species detail work is a nice touch. Well done sir.

I'm in the process of gathering barn wood for a fireplace project. It will have a rough texture and won't require the same attention to detail as your work. Hoping to get that job started soon.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  17. THE FEZ MAN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Felt, and the extra links from my new watch band, I gave those to my wife, the small one is for her desk at work and the bigger one is for here

d0uche_n0zzle likes this.
  18. THE FEZ MAN

I bought a “grab box” of exotic hard wood scraps and I’m trying to incorporate them as much as possible, woodcraft had Purple Heart onsale a few months ago so I bought a few pieces to play around with. I’m kind of stuck using poplar and red oak for the most part because that’s what I can get at Home Depot, I do have some rough cut cherry, a piece of black walnut and I had a hunk of maple but I used the maple for another box which isn’t finished yet, but I try to use those sparingly as accent pieces because it’s so expensive and I’m still not confident of my skills, I’ve been looking into veneers but until I’m confident of my cutting I’m using solid wood so I can sand stuff to fit, which makes my projects expensive.
    I’m going to get some “liquid glass” I’ve been using regular West system epoxy but I’m having a lot of trouble with air bubbles, the larger box is just spray lacquer, option two is to start using autobody clear coat

19. ysr50

ysr50 Well-Known Member
    Donator

One way to rid yourself of bubbles is to make a simple vacuum chamber, it'll suck any air out of your epoxy if you can pull 29" of water or so. They're suprisingly easy to make. Be warned that any liquid you put into it will probably expand about 4 times it's volume before it settles so start small with the epoxy resin.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  20. THE FEZ MAN

Yea it’s on my short list. I already have a vacuum pump, and a nice heavy aluminum pot I need to get a nice thick piece of clear acrylic so I can watch, I looked into buying one also, but apparently pot heads use them for some kind of extraction (butane honey extraction to be exact) so all the places that sell reasonably priced units are sold out

21. ysr50

ysr50 Well-Known Member
    Donator

If you have an air compressor you can buy a Venturi style vacuum pump that's normally used to evacuate A/C systems. I bought one a few years back and it'll pull 29" of water.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  22. ysr50

ysr50 Well-Known Member
    Donator

No reason to reinvent the wheel.

23. ysr50

ysr50 Well-Known Member
    Donator

I have one of these
    [​IMG]
    I was wrong in my terminology, it pulls almost 29" of Hg, not H2o.
    Regardless that's almost a complete vacuum.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  24. THE FEZ MAN

Oh I have all the stuff except the piece of acrylic for a lid and some kind of seal, a buddy of mine works at the Wells Fargo Center, he knows the guy that repairs and replaces the hockey glass, I’m going to try and get a piece from him before spending any money on an experiment.
    The Venturi vacuum pump is the only way to go when using epoxy or polyester resin because the vapor will jamb up a regular piston pump, or blow up if using polyester (styrene monomer has a low flash point) unless you are using a chilled vapor collection chamber.
    “Back in the day” I did vacuum injections of carbon fiber so I’m quite familiar with using vacuum bags and the process in general, but, I no longer have access to that shop, which is a shame because I really want to makes some carbon fiber panels to use as accent pieces on some of my boxes, I figure the carbon is more “manly” when trying to sell jewelry boxes or humidors.
    I used to buy a lot of stuff from this company http://www.fibreglast.com/?gclid=Cj...SDHAQvbe7xeGFRyueQqv1_5XB6fPFnmhoCbAwQAvD_BwE

25. maz

maz TRueWDTer

Maybe you should make a picnic table
    Or an Adirondack chair

You know
    Something that's actually useful

Stupid boxes