my latest project

Bobobie

@THE FEZ MAN What's the price on a cheap Welding setup? I'd like to weld new struts on my Wooden deck, the steel frame is rotted away from Deicing salt.

Bobobie

Depends on what else you want to do
Not a whole lot. This wouldn't get a lot of use. I see these arc welders on Amazon for $100 or less, but are they complete junk? The Hoods are something else. I've been pricing them and they are like Super Computers compared to the old ones. Solar powered, auto-darkening, and some are $300.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Not a whole lot. This wouldn't get a lot of use. I see these arc welders on Amazon for $100 or less, but are they complete junk? The Hoods are something else. I've been pricing them and they are like Super Computers compared to the old ones. Solar powered, auto-darkening, and some are $300.
If don’t already know how to weld well, buying one of those $100 stick buzz boxes is not a good idea, you’re better off buying a MiG welder and using shielded wire. The biggest issue with any welder is “duty cycle” the really cheep “harbor freight style “ MiG welders have a really short duty cycle, so for every 5 minutes you weld, you have to wait 15 mins for the welder to cool off.
They also have problems with low amperage, ironically creating a stable low amperage output is more difficult than higher amperage. I just looked it up, you can pick up a MiG at harbor freight for less than $150, I think @Shootr has one and @blazin also bought 110v hobby machines. My new MiG is the very bottom of the 220v machines and still a hobby unit I paid $600+

As for a helmet..... that’s a really tough one, I tell people to not cheep out, but, ironically a fixed 10 shade is perfect for MiG on steel, do not buy a harbor freight solar only helmet they are complete junk and dangerous, my last helmet was $400 but, that’s because it’s a 4x5 variable “hybrid” and at the time I was doing it for a living, my old helmet was an auto fixed 10, but it was also really expensive because when I bought it they were “new” on the market.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
I wasn't going to chime in, but I think the HF with shielded wire would do what you want. I bought mine to reconfigure some pre-made wrought iron fencing, patio umbrella stand, and various projects around the house. Per @Fezman:

*Get Lincoln or Miller wire

*Clean the hell out of whatever you're welding

*Use a solid ground connector

*Practice on a bunch with scraps of the material you'll be working with to dial in the wire speed vs. power setting.

*Watch some videos specific to flux core wire welding

The helmet I wound up getting cost more than the welder (I got the smallest one, 125 amps, for less than $100, and it was all I needed). Even this one will burn through thinner stuff pretty easily, with good prep it did 3/16" really well (just not long lengths, more like small stitch welded lengths).

Bobobie

I did arc welding in shop class back in the 80's that was the main reason I was looking at Arc welders. Is mig welding all that different? We did have a Tig welder, but just the one so we didn't get a lot of time on it. Thanks for the info. I've also been checking out the second hand market for stuff.

THE FEZ MAN

I did arc welding in shop class back in the 80's that was the main reason I was looking at Arc welders. Is mig welding all that different? We did have a Tig welder, but just the one so we didn't get a lot of time on it. Thanks for the info. I've also been checking out the second hand market for stuff.
@Shootr i never forget anything ;) I remember you buying one so I thought your insight would be helpful.

@Bobobie I would avoid a stick welder, it requires years of practice to get good at it, any monkey can MiG weld, I would avoid a used machine if you don’t know exactly what you are buying, most of the time guys are selling used “hobby” machines is because they fucked them up.
Also can you post a photo of what you want to weld? Because you might be wasting your time

Bobobie

@Shootr i never forget anything ;) I remember you buying one so I thought your insight would be helpful.

@Bobobie I would avoid a stick welder, it requires years of practice to get good at it, any monkey can MiG weld, I would avoid a used machine if you don’t know exactly what you are buying, most of the time guys are selling used “hobby” machines is because they fucked them up.
Also can you post a photo of what you want to weld? Because you might be wasting your time
I'd have to unscrew and pull up boards on the deck to do that. It's basic stock steel angle iron, nothing special. The outside is wood, but the steel frame sits inside and basically just supports the deck. Two Center struts that support the deck are rusted away. I was thinking of just getting a few 4x4's and some hangers but the but the steel frame would be in the way. Another option would be to take the deck off, cut up the steel frame, and use hangers or make a wooden frame.

THE FEZ MAN

I'd have to unscrew and pull up boards on the deck to do that. It's basic stock steel angle iron, nothing special. The outside is wood, but the steel frame sits inside and basically just supports the deck. Two Center struts that support the deck are rusted away. I was thinking of just getting a few 4x4's and some hangers but the but the steel frame would be in the way. Another option would be to take the deck off, cut up the steel frame, and use hangers or make a wooden frame.
Ok, I was just curious how rotted everything is. A welder is a naive think to have around

Bobobie

Ok, I was just curious how rotted everything is. A welder is a naive think to have around
The steel is in pretty good shape other than those two center struts that rusted away from their original welds.

THE FEZ MAN

Was wondering when you'd get the stepstool out
Workin' overhead can get a bit fatiguing

THE FEZ MAN

Was wondering when you'd get the stepstool out
Workin' overhead can get a bit fatiguing
I cut out the part where I bitch about falling off that rickety piece of shit