My new puppy/Dog training

Shaggz

Slaying Zombies
Jan 26, 2005
Kentucky
A guy my brother works with was giving away some puppies. Being a huge animal lover and already wanting another dog, I had to get one.

Meet Bones, AKA Leonard McCoy

The father is an Australian Shepard, they weren't quite sure what the mother was, but she looked to me to be a German Shepard.

Does anyone know of any good sites about dog training. Tips on housebreaking, teaching of simple commands, etc.?
I'd like to find a good forum some place where I can discuss these topics with other dog owners.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
have fun, ausi shepherds can be nutty, you need to run the shit out of that dog for a couple of years to keep it from eating your house

Shaggz

Slaying Zombies
Jan 26, 2005
Kentucky
have fun, ausi shepherds can be nutty, you need to run the shit out of that dog for a couple of years to keep it from eating your house
I can already tell. He sleeps for a bit, eats, drink, pisses and shits (thank god for puppy pads), then chews on everything for the rest of the time. The rug, the chair, has tried to chew on my boots too. I need to get him some more toys, that rope I got him is really made for when he gets bigger, I gave him an old wash rag too to help keep him busy.
This is one hyper active dog. Speaking of that, I think I need to take him outside for a bit.

MAV

Nov 23, 2005
Denver, CO
there is some spray that you can put on things you dont want them to chew on. check that out too.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
oh NO with the wash cloth, thats asking for trouble, stop by pet smart and get some dedicated dog toys. avoid socks too, i have a dozen pairs of ruined socks to prove it

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
get a kong toy and put some treats or peanutbutter inside it...guaranteed to keep it busy for hours and no to washcloths

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Definitely NO washcloth, or socks. My Airedale loves to EAT socks because the idiot owners who had him as a pup let him chew on socks and washcloths. If given the chance he will eat a sock, washcloth, glove, whatever, and then shit it out in the backyard. I have been unable to break him of this habit, so we have to make sure nothing like that is around for him to get ahold of.

Agreed, a Kong toy is a good thing to get.

Kong + peanut butter + time in freezer = long lasting distraction.

Also, I don't recommend the ol' tug of war game. It's no fun when a 100 pound dog wants to do that with any toy he has, and won't let go of anything, ever.

Feb 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
USe the crate method. Buy a large crate with a separater to make it small at first and allows it to expand. House the dog in there allowing him just enough room to sleep. Make sure you take him out to the same area every few hours and give him some command such as pee or whatever. Praise him every time he goes. Return him to the crate. Dogs never go where they sleep. If you give him too much room in the crate he will go in a corner. Make sure he has just enough room.

I'm on my third dog and it worked great each time. The latest is a Great Pyrenees about three months old and only had one accident in about a month.
He now roams the house and barks to go out after only about a month.

Trick is to be patient and don't use the crate as a punishment. If he screws up in the house, rush him outside and give him the command.

Good luck. I got a 150 lb Newfoundland, A 85 lb Old English Sheepdog and the Great Pyrenees will get about 120 lbs. Somewhere, I lost control of my house.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Also, I don't recommend the ol' tug of war game. It's no fun when a 100 pound dog wants to do that with any toy he has, and won't let go of anything, ever.
When I was training my dog my friend the vet said never to do the tug- of -war thing with the dog...it is a dominance thing for the dog.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
USe the crate method. Buy a large crate with a separater to make it small at first and allows it to expand. House the dog in there allowing him just enough room to sleep. Make sure you take him out to the same area every few hours and give him some command such as pee or whatever. Praise him every time he goes. Return him to the crate. Dogs never go where they sleep. If you give him too much room in the crate he will go in a corner. Make sure he has just enough room.

I'm on my third dog and it worked great each time. The latest is a Great Pyrenees about three months old and only had one accident in about a month.
He now roams the house and barks to go out after only about a month.

Trick is to be patient and don't use the crate as a punishment. If he screws up in the house, rush him outside and give him the command.

Good luck. I got a 150 lb Newfoundland, A 85 lb Old English Sheepdog and the Great Pyrenees will get about 120 lbs. Somewhere, I lost control of my house.
you sir, are insane! I had each of those seperately at some point. your house must constantly smell like wet dog!

Feb 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
you sir, are insane! I had each of those seperately at some point. your house must constantly smell like wet dog!

Nope. Dogs get groomed regularly. Got to brush them and take care of them.
Wife is a psycho. Dogs aren't allowed to smell.
Here's the sheep dog:

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
So your feed bills must be Huge...along with pile of shit you have accumulated

Feb 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
You sir are correct. I have a separate little garbage can to collect the shit everyweek. Sam's club everyweek for a giant bag of food.

Got the Newfie about 11 years ago because I always wanted one. The sheepdog was for my wife, after we lost a baby and for some reason she wanted the new one so we got it. Like I said, I definetley lost control.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Make sure that within 15-30 min of feeding you take it out to relieve itself...it conditions the dog to head towards the door and its designated latrine.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Wow. Between the two monsters I have, I go through a good amount of dog food. A 40lb bag lasts about 2 weeks.

My wife is a nut about the dogs too. We get them groomed regularly as well. In fact, they are getting groomed Tuesday.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
ah the best part about weims, a quick brush once a week and a hose down when they roll in shit, they shed constantly though

Angelfuck

Part of the Ronnie B. crowd
Jan 6, 2006
Static Age
he's adorable! too bad they get big so quick, looks like hes gonna be a gorgeous dog though

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
We crate trained the new pup. She loves her crate. For chew toys she has a
kong, a cow's hoof and a bunch of squeeky toys. She gets a pig's ear every
once in awhile for a treat.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
We crate trained the new pup. She loves her crate. For chew toys she has a
kong, a cow's hoof and a bunch of squeeky toys. She gets a pig's ear every
once in awhile for a treat.
Cows Hoofs and Pigs ears make for stinky Farts..always made me laugh when our dog farted from a pig's ear and looked surprised at the sound and smell....also I was told that rawhide and stuff like that is actually not good for the dog by the Vet.

FAngel

I Drink YOUR Milkshake!
Mar 2, 2005
Bethlehem, PA
DO Not Let My Dick Anywhere Near Your Dog!!!!!!!!!!!
Fixed the quote, sir.:icon_mrgr

And allow me to add that the little guy at the top of the page is absolutely adorable. Puppies are awesome, and he's gonna be a big boy very quickly.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Don't forget that you can have some fun with the dog and peanut butter yourself.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
Crate training works best. Never had an accident with my lil fella.

Also, (no homo), buy and read this book. The Dog Whisperer is kind of cheesy, but this book can really help.

And cheers to you good sir for adopting (not buying) a dog! Hope you and your fella have many years!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307337332/?tag=wackbagcom-20