my new toy...

fkornre

Boogity Boogity Boogity...Let's go racing boys...
Nov 4, 2006
monroe twp, nj
isnt she beautiful????

Klipsch RW10d Details

Shake things up in your entertainment system with the RW10d powered subwoofer. It uses a 10-inch front-firing Cerametallic woofer and a 260-watt RMS amplifier. Exclusive Corner Port Technology minimizes turbulence. The RW10d also features a DCS digital user interface that includes three equalization modes and three user-adjustable presets.

FTC Rated Power: 260 Watts Continuous @ <2 Percent THD/Dynamic Power: 575 Watts

10-Inch Cerametallic Cone, Front-Firing Woofer

Frequency Response: 28 - 120Hz +/-3dB

Maximum Acoustic Output: 112dB @ 30Hz 1/8 Space, 1m

Amplifier: BASH Digital Hybrid

Enclosure Type: Bass-Reflex Via Front-Firing CornerPort

Inputs: L/R Line-Level RCA Jacks, L-R High-Level Speaker Binding Posts

DCS Control and Feature Set with 3 System Presets

Voltage: 110/120 VAC 60Hz

Export Voltage: 220 VAC 50/60Hz

Dimensions: 12.5" W x 19" D x 17.8" H

Weight: 39 lbs.

Nortonsmeatytit

"That ball is outta here"
Sep 11, 2005
Philly
Klipsch, made in America, loud & proud.

I've had these, KLF-30's floor standing speakers for about 10 yrs, they are loud as hell and have no distortion at all. Klipsch are very efficient speakers and don't really require alot of power, the horn loaded tweeters are clean sounding also.

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama
I never cared for the horn tweeters of Klipsch, they are way to bright for my musical tastes. That said, Klipsch subs are pretty tough. I ended up buying the old Polk rti100 fronts with built in subs so I gave my old sub to my dad who goes through subs like nothing I have ever seen.

I've got an RW-12, which has more power and a larger driver, but lacks the newer digital stuff that your unit has (I've had mine for three years now). That's a nice piece you have there, and unless you're trying to blow your house off the foundation or don't mind having a sub the size of a coffin in your living room, you won't do much better for the money.

The cult of SVS would have you believe that their subs are absolutely unbeatable in the price range, but I've never actually heard one in person and they tend to be MUCH larger than equivalent subs from other brands.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
I'm sure that speaker is lovely, but it's not a subwoofer... And it doesn't appear as though it has a built-in amplifier, either.
You're right it's not technically a sub but it puts out hard bass and is handy to have around :p And you'd need to hook it up to a preamp

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i have a mirage satalite system, that i picked up at tweeter years ago, it came with a powered sub, but they kind of suck for music, there great for movies though but if i want to listen to music i use my Cerwin Vega VS120's. ive had them for almost 18 years and they still rock, if i really want to kick it up i run both sets at once, even though the mirage's suck at music if it fiddle fiddle fiddle with the buttons and knobs i can get it sounding very nice.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
I have a pair of these and the matching center, been good for years.Klipsch is the best thing to ever come out of Arkansas. OK sam_adams:action-sm

A friend has a pair of La Scala's that are so efficient that they only need about 100 watts

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Gig speakers don't make good home speakers and vice-versa.
I never said they did :p They aren't theater speakers :) They are just to make noise and for a music concert.

I don't have a fancy subwoofer right now. I will definitely get a theater setup once I get my own house but since I live in an apartment I'm too considerate of my neighbors to turn on the subs that I have now (three of them of 300watt). They aren't too large.

I only turn them on from time to time if I'm watching a movie during the day and I still will keep them fairly low.

Nortonsmeatytit

"That ball is outta here"
Sep 11, 2005
Philly
I agree that the horn tweeters are bright but that's just the signature of the design IMHO. Tonality of speakers is dependent on design & manuf. British companies have historically made "nuetral" or flat responding speakers (not bright or warm) where as electrostatic type speakers, Martin Logan, etc. are warmer sounding.

The Klipsch La Scala's are nice also, I have a friend whos had those for a while, they are so efficient you could power them w/a friggin walkman for Christs sake.

Good friend of mine has these KEF Reference Series speakers from England, these things are unreal. They image great because they patented the tweeter to be deisgned in the center of the woofer driver for point source sound placement, if you listen to live music it's like it's taking place in front of you.

fkornre

Nov 4, 2006
monroe twp, nj
I've got an RW-12, which has more power and a larger driver, but lacks the newer digital stuff that your unit has (I've had mine for three years now). That's a nice piece you have there, and unless you're trying to blow your house off the foundation or don't mind having a sub the size of a coffin in your living room, you won't do much better for the money.

The cult of SVS would have you believe that their subs are absolutely unbeatable in the price range, but I've never actually heard one in person and they tend to be MUCH larger than equivalent subs from other brands.
you are so correct....i cannot tell you how many people tried to talk me into SVS subs...but i have always felt Klipsch makes the best speakers especially for the money....they are always reliable and i have never not liked the output...

i will say tho, when i was at best buy and at the Magnolia section the salesman was showing me a $800 full surround set of Definitive speakers...the fronts and rears were these small cubes that sounded completely amazing....he was blowing the roof off the store with the set and there was no distortion at all (of course i had him use the klipsch sub instead of the definitive sub) but my god these little speakers sounded better than the floorstanding loudspeakers....i almost bough them instead but i have a full set of speakers already...my fronts are Athena and the surround are Boston's...

fkornre

Nov 4, 2006
monroe twp, nj
I have a pair of these and the matching center, been good for years.Klipsch is the best thing to ever come out of Arkansas. OK sam_adams:action-sm

:icon_eek::icon_eek:

one day i will own those...i have wanted Klipsch loudspeakers my whole life...i just cant ever afford them...

fkornre

Nov 4, 2006
monroe twp, nj

Razor Roman

Save the USH!
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
I like the Klipsh subs for movies.

I'm not a big fan of their speakers for music, or of their regular speakers for HT use... not shitting on your purchase.. they are pretty sweet, I just find the subs put out too much rumble for accurate music reproduction and the horn tweeters, while easy to get volume from fatigue me after awhile.

When I worked at Magnolia, I had my ear on a nice set of Vienna Accoustic Bach's... more mellow sounding then the Klipsch.

That being said, they cost about 3X as much

Stig

Making America So Great You Won't Believe It.
Jul 26, 2005
NH
I think it's safe to say that the old rule still applies... Gig speakers don't make good home speakers and vice-versa.
I have my old band's PA in my basement/bar as a karaoke system. Not audiophile by any means, but it's still fun to crank up the tunes on it from time to time. :icon_mrgr

I have my old band's PA in my basement/bar as a karaoke system. Not audiophile by any means, but it's still fun to crank up the tunes on it from time to time. :icon_mrgr
Oh, sure, they play plenty loud and don't distort at high volumes, but you hit the nail on the head with the "not audiophile" part. Loud and clean is great for the kind of environment you're talking about, but for critical listening they almost universally fall short for HT or stereo use.

Razor's criticism of Klipsch subs is right on, too. I need it almost exclusively for HT listening, and I usually turn it off for music. Klipsch's RW series, at least (and the Synergy series as well) are great for rumbling the couch during LOTR movies but don't really cut it as music subs. The RW I have was actually the fourth sub I brought home from my local hi-fi shop, having previously tried Boston, Definitive and another vastly more expensive Klipsch. I felt that, for my needs/wants, the RW-12 delivered the best combination of price and performance.

i have wanted Klipsch loudspeakers my whole life...i just cant ever afford them...
Klipsch's Synergy speakers are pretty reasonably priced. Go listen to them at your local BB. If you like them (and if you like Klipsch speakers' sound, you WILL like them), go get 'em from some store that doesn't charge full list... Or buy online if you aren't worried about the "no warranty" thing.

I had the previous generation of Synergy speakers in my home setup, but when I decided to trade up to the RF's (as shown in fkornre's photo) I compared them to other brands just to make sure it was what I wanted... and ended up with a Boston Acoustics setup instead. If you like the Klipsch RF sound, you should look at the Boston VR series. Very similar sound (bright and "in your face"), but in my opinion cleaner and less "honky" than the Klipsch. Might even cost less, I can't recall right now.