OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

N.H. House bill would ban DWI checkpoints

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stevethrower, Feb 2, 2012.

1. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Note this is the state that has State Liquor stores along the interstate highways.

Link

2. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Good luck putting an end to the revenue stream. DUI harassment points won't go away any sooner than stop light cameras will. They're an easy way for the local police to rack up overtime, paid for with federal tax dollars, and the local government makes a killing off the incidental seat belt and other violations that inevitably account for 95% of the activity at the checkpoint.

Enough fucking retards have been scared into thinking everyone on the road but them is drunk and they'll sign away every single right they have for protection from the evil drunkards.

3. LastDeadMouse

LastDeadMouse WWRBD?

SO true. If they were only allowed to check for sobriety and nothing else, I'd be much more in favor of them, but that's just the excuse they're using to stop your car. I'd love to see stats on the ratio of seat belt, inspection, and registration tickets given out at checkpoints vs actual DUI attests.

4. Stig

Stig Wackbag's New Favorite Heel

And no sales or income tax.
    You can't drink in the car just because you bought the stuff along the highway, silly.
    Anyway, I hope they do away with them. I don't drink outside of the home anymore, so it doesn't matter to me. But I do find them offensive.

5. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Live Free or Die baby!!!

6. Stig

Live Free Or Die, Indeed.*

Best. State. Ever.

*and people always bring that phrase up when things turn to tax discussions. Usually in dismissive terms with zero understanding that our state motto has nothing to do with the monetary definition of "Free."
    I would say that it's somewhat akin to "Better to die on your feet than live on your knees."

7. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Yep I know... live like two towns in from the border.

And the town police always set up DWI check points where the tourists drive in or out of town. And all the police logs have (well during the summer) is so and so from MA/NY/PA arrested for OUI etc...

8. Party Rooster

Well you are one of six states that allow gay marriage, maybe that means something else for you guys. :action-sm

9. Stig

We're good eggs up here.

10. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

Considering most of the women look like men. It's a wash.

11. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

I hope it passes.

12. Sunsetspawn

Sunsetspawn Registered User

Fuck those cameras. I've left many rubber trails from stopping at those things in Yonkers. Take my fuckin' money? Get the fuck outta here.

13. Jon the Cop

Jon the Cop Registered User

DUI checkpoints are the biggest farce in law enforcement. Such a joke. I remember being involved with one in Missouri in 2004. We got one illegal mexican migrant worker drunk and one hillbilly drunk with a loaded hunting rifle in the trunk. Other than that, I think the stupor troopers wrote some stupid seatbelt tickets and maybe insurance tickets. Such a waste of five hours of my time. Indiana's dumb ass troopers do checkpoints here every other month or so. Just an excuse to justify the existence of the ISP in my opinion. They write equipment and other chickenshit tickets to try and make it look like they are doing anything worth while. 20-40 troopers and deputies stand around and get paid overtime to get MAYBE four drunks. It's about public safety my ass.

14. Party Rooster

Out here in California they were making a killing being able to seize cars from unlicensed drivers.
    http://californiawatch.org/public-s...prove-profitable-cities-raise-legal-questions

15. Jon the Cop

Jon the Cop Registered User

Yeah, the dept I used to work for in Indiana is trying to seize cars more often too. Their street crimes unit tries to seize money and cars all the time, instead of going out and catching people breaking into cars and houses....like their supposed to do.

16. Motor Head

Motor Head HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL

More states are now passing the "Run and You're Done" laws. Basically, a law were if you run from the cops they can seize your car.....no way a rogue department would abuse that law.;)

17. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

In another thread I posted stats from the ones here in Delaware. In one case there were something like 200+ tickets written for petty shit, 4 or 5 people picked up for active warrants for traffic tickets and zero drunks caught. Zero. The whole fucking thing is a way to suck up federal highway funds.

18. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

So we are not going to see one of these...

[​IMG]

With state trooper markings then?

19. the Streif

the Streif ¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
    Donator

I wonder if that's the one that got wrecked 10 minutes after being taken out for the first time or something like that. I think there is a thread here on it somewhere.

Edit: http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/02/italian-police-crash-lamborghini-patrol-car/

and ,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...police-manage-write-150-000-Lamborghinis.html

aaaaaaand,

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/italian-lamborghini-police-car-crash.shtml

20. kidconnor

kidconnor 55gallon hog

The number of tickets outnumber the DUI arrests by a lot. A very wide margin. The towns, cities, counties, and states are making more money off tickets at these checkpoints than catching DUIs. But they do that anyway no? Just separately instead of at the same location and time.

One thing that can't be measured: are people less likely to drive drunk because of the possibility of a checkpoint? Take nights like new years and thanksgiving eve, even super bowl sunday. Does the knowledge that checkpoints exist deter people from drinking and driving? Does the possibility of running into a checkpoint make people think twice?

I don't know much about other states and seizing cars and shit. I was never a fan of checkpoints unless I was in the chase car. But the ticket revenue aside.... and probably the short term goal of checkpoints by most depts......
    I'm just asking if anyone thinks they are
    a)effective
    b)somewhat effective or
    c)not effective at all
    at cutting down drunks on the road in the long run.

21. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Well this is a seized car that got turned into a police car...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apparently the previous owner had 10 kilos of blow... whoopsie...

Link

I know the Toronto cops (years ago) bought a Camero just for the Leslie Street spit due to people in their expensive sport cars would race down it...

[​IMG]

22. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

I've never gone through any checkpoints, sober or under the influence. I avoid them like the plague due to their Nazi-ish similarities.

23. Stig

So the owner got busted for coke, and the car says "Hoover Police?" Irony, or bad joke?

24. Stig

And by the way, laws where they can seize and keep your shit BEFORE you're tried and convicted are complete bullshit. How the FUCK does that pass constitutional muster?

25. DJ Evel Ed

DJ Evel Ed MayYourCumCrustedCocksBeConstantlyCoveredInCunt

Im meeting with my congressman today to discuss putting up School Free Drug Zone signs in my neighborhood.