• OMG!!! GDPR!! GDPR!!! GDP f***ing R!!!!!!!!!!!111111one!

Bla, Bla, Bla, updated privacy policy, because "we care about you! "

ಠ_ಠ

If you even give a shit, our privacy policy is here.

Pro-tip: If you have a reasonable, and transparent policy from Day 1, then you don't have to run around like an asshole!

N. Las Vegas man repeatedly accused of stealing cellphones

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
This story is a bit fucked up. Apparently Sprint's system identifies this guy's house as the source of missing cell phones and he's had to deal with irate accusers at all hours of the day and night.

Wayne Dobson doesn't have your cellphone.
Even if it looks like he might.
In the past two years the 59-year-old retiree has been pestered by people showing up at all hours of the day and night at his house, demanding their phones. They've yelled, shown him evidence, called the police - sworn that their phone is in his house.
But he's no thief.
"It's very difficult to say, 'I don't have your phone,' in any other way other than, 'I don't have your phone,' " Dobson said.
What has become a powerful tool for police hunting down bad guys and people who lose their phones or who call 911 has backfired on Dobson. An unexplained glitch with at least one cellphone company is directing people with missing phones to his North Las Vegas home.
And the glitch is also affecting police, who have twice been wrongly directed to his house on domestic violence calls. That has forced Dobson to post a sign on the front of his house telling people he doesn't have their phone.
The situation is one that has puzzled experts.
"That's crazy," said John B. Minor, a communications expert who specializes in cellphone tracking. "This sort of thing I've not seen."
The problem appears to be limited to some owners of Sprint phones. Company officials said they are researching the problem, which has forced Dobson to sleep near his front door on weekends so he can answer the door quickly at all hours.
"It's a hell of a problem," he said. "It would be nice to be able to get a good night's sleep."
'I HAD A PROBLEM'
Dobson's misadventure started in 2011, with a knock on the door around midnight on a weekend. He opened the door and found an upset young couple demanding that he turn over their phone.
Dobson was confused.
"I'm standing there and I'm thinking, 'What are they talking about?' " he said. "They might as well have said, 'Give me my horse back.' "
After debating back and forth, both sides called police. When officers arrived at his home, near Craig Road and Donna Street, Dobson expressed his confusion.
"I just said, 'I don't know these people; I don't go where they go.' I'm 59 years old. I don't care about these technology pets they have."
The couple left without their phone, and he never heard from them again. It wasn't long before he realized he had a bigger problem on his hands.
He saw a woman wandering through his backyard. But before he could talk to her, she jumped over the wall. A few minutes later he heard a knock on the door.
"Please give me my phone," she said.
When he explained that he didn't have it, she became insistent.
"I've got pictures of my grandchildren," she said. "I can't replace them. I need them. All I want are my pictures."
He told her to call the police and invited her to come inside and search. In the meantime, he called the woman's cellphone provider, Sprint.
A technician there explained the problem, but didn't provide a solution, he said.
Dobson was told that cellphone GPS systems don't provide exact locations - they give a general location of where to start your search. And for some reason his house is that location for his area.
"I knew then I had a problem," he said.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/if-you-lose-your-cellphone-don-t-blame-wayne-dobson-186670171.html

Top Bottom