Nantucket/Emberverse/Draka/The General and other S. M. Stirling Series

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
S. M. Stirling has written quite a few series that I feel are interesting and highly entertaining.

The General Series
A person tries to re-unite his world through military actions after a dark age.

They are currently available in omnibus editions (2005)
with David Drake
  • The Forge
  • The Hammer
  • The Anvil
  • The Steel
  • The Sword
  • The Chosen
  • The Reformer
Draka series

The Loyalists, French royals, Confederates and others move to South Africa creating a distopian empire.
  • Marching Through Georgia
  • Under the Yoke
  • The Stone Dogs
  • Drakon
  • The Domination
  • Drakas!
Nantucket series

1998 Nantucket mysteriously is transported to classical times. How will they survive with Bronze age peoples?
  • Island in the Sea of Time
  • Against the Tide of Years
  • On the Oceans of Eternity
The Emberverse Series

Electricity, guns, explosives, internal combustion engines, and steam power no longer work. People from Oregon try to survive after the Change.

Part 1
  • Dies the Fire
  • The Protector's War
  • A Meeting at Corvallis
Part 2
  • The Sunrise Lands
  • The Scourge of God
  • The Sword of the Lady
  • The High King of Montival
  • The Tears of the Sun
  • Lord of Mountains

The Peshawar Lancers

A meteor strikes the Earth resulting in years of an Ice Age with English-India becoming a world power versus cannibalistic Russians and humans with prophetic powers.

Conquistador

An American discovers a passage to an alternate Earth where Mayans and Aztecs have not met with Europeans. The story takes place several decades later.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I've been pushing the Nantucket/Emberverse series like a man possessed. Really great. In fact, I just learned that "The lord of Mountains" is waiting for me at the library. The rest of his stuff are on my to do list.

Finding the General series is difficult.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
Love the Draka and Nantucket series. I liked the 1st part of the Emberverse but the 2nd has gotten rather silly. Was the latest the last one or are there more coming? They annoy the fuck out of me but I still want to know what happens so I keep getting the latest from the library.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Love the Draka and Nantucket series. I liked the 1st part of the Emberverse but the 2nd has gotten rather silly. Was the latest the last one or are there more coming? They annoy the fuck out of me but I still want to know what happens so I keep getting the latest from the library.
The new one just came out. Lord of the Mountains.

And I like the new series, so there.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
Well different strokes. I read the latest. I was just wondering if that was the last.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
I just found my copy of Dies the Fires today as I was digging through all my books that I will be donating to Goodwill since I can't keep them all when I move. That is one of the few books that I will be keeping. I think I have dug out over 1000 books, and less than 100 will I be keeping. I'm even getting rid of most of the books from my favorite series. Only one I am keeping is the one that I got signed by the authors when I met them several years ago.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I just found my copy of Dies the Fires today as I was digging through all my books that I will be donating to Goodwill since I can't keep them all when I move. That is one of the few books that I will be keeping. I think I have dug out over 1000 books, and less than 100 will I be keeping. I'm even getting rid of most of the books from my favorite series. Only one I am keeping is the one that I got signed by the authors when I met them several years ago.
That hurts me. I just can't get rid of books.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
That hurts me. I just can't get rid of books.
Trust me, I don't want to, but I have to. I am moving to a much smaller place, and can't afford monthly storage fees for a Westy's or UHaul. I really do have enough books to open a second hand book store. I do plan on donating them all to either my local library or to Goodwill.

Sadly, I did have to throw some away because they had gotten wet or otherwise become unreadable. Only 3 though, so not that bad.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Halfway through The Lord of the Mountain. Good book, as always.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Finished this. Still really enjoying this series. Of course, I may be bias. It's so interesting to read a story like this that takes place in my "neighborhood." Hearing them make references to the Horse Heaven Hills and the Tri-Cities (where I grew up) is fascinating. Not to mention that, although I'm in Seattle, the stuff I deal with at work each day is centered in Portland, so all the Oregon references are familiar to me as well.

This series did go in a direction that I thought it was going to, though it did go there a bit harder than I expected. Gina above obviously knows what I mean.

And this dude has set himself up for at least two more books, if not more.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Halfway through The Lord of the Mountain. Good book, as always.
I just realized I have been saying it wrong. The title is Lord of Mountains.

One of the great things about post-apoccy books is you get great (paraphrased) statements like: "He was just a man from a small town, not a big city like Des Moines."