NAS Drive for a neophyte

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I know there is a thread on NAS drives but I’m special.

Since I’ve dipped my toes into the world of Home videos and photos, I have basically gobbled up my 500gb hard drive on my Mac Book pro.

I have been moving stuff to an external portable drive when I’m done fiddling with it, and erasing it off my Mac, but, this is a pain in the Dick.

If I were to buy an NAS can I just load the videos onto the NAS, then import them to my Mac to work on them then put them back on the NAS “seamlessly” ?
Or better yet, just leave them on the NAS?
I have an Apple airport with a TB time capsule drive, but it’s purely a back up and it’s a pain in the ass to do anything but a system back up off of.

Also, and probably most importantly, I am NOT a computer person, that ship sailed 20 years ago, I absolutely must have a system that is so simple a 46 year old guy that can barely work a smart phone can use. I threw out a brand new Chrome cast because it wouldn’t connect to the android phone I was trying to use.
Plug and play, I don’t understand “RAID, rad, FAT...” raid is bug spray and my ass is fat....
I know these things exist but evertime I read a review all I see is the negative stuff and the negatives I’m reading are the exact issues I want to avoid, usually “software doesn’t work” or “save your money this thing is junk” now I understand that negative reviews are the way of the interwebs but I can’t help but see them..

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I can't help with the Mac side of the equation, as I haven't touched an Apple product in decades. But, I think Synology is the best choice out there.

I have a Synology DS415+ which I believe has been replaced with a newer model. I have 4x4TB WD Red drives in it. All of our PCs and laptops backup to it, plus I have my two indoor security cameras recording to it. Once a week I bring my work laptop in the house and let it backup to the Synology. That saved my ass because some dipshit security guy knocked it onto the floor one day when I was configuring a Cisco router. Other than the hard drive, the unit was unscathed. I just had to put a new drive in and restore it from my backup.

It appears they support Mac:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/Tutorial/store_with_mac

https://www.synology.com/en-us/know...es_from_Mac_to_Synology_NAS_with_Time_Machine

There's a ton of stuff on Youtube as well in regards to setting it up and such:

You could probably go with a 2-disk system like this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108679

It comes bare, you just have to buy whatever size drives you want for it. You can get a pair of 2TB, 4TB, or larger.

One thing that is nice about the Synology is you can upgrade later. Say you buy a pair of 2GB drives, and a few years down the road you fill it up. You can shut the thing down, pull one of the 2TB and replace it with a 4TB, and turn it back on. It'll rebuild the RAID array onto the new 4GB drive. Then once that's complete, you can turn it off again and pull the other 2GB drive and put in a second 4TB drive and then fire it back up. It will then rebuild onto the new 4TB drive and you've now doubled your storage capacity.

Or, you can just buy an expansion unit which has more drive bays and connect it right up to expand your storage.

If you want to go bigger and backup your other stuff, start out with a 4-disk unit:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108681

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I can't help with the Mac side of the equation, as I haven't touched an Apple product in decades. But, I think Synology is the best choice out there.

I have a Synology DS415+ which I believe has been replaced with a newer model. I have 4x4TB WD Red drives in it. All of our PCs and laptops backup to it, plus I have my two indoor security cameras recording to it. Once a week I bring my work laptop in the house and let it backup to the Synology. That saved my ass because some dipshit security guy knocked it onto the floor one day when I was configuring a Cisco router. Other than the hard drive, the unit was unscathed. I just had to put a new drive in and restore it from my backup.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/Tutorial/store_with_mac

https://www.synology.com/en-us/know...es_from_Mac_to_Synology_NAS_with_Time_Machine

It comes bare, you just have to buy whatever size drives you want for it. You can get a pair of 2TB, 4TB, or larger.

One thing that is nice about the Synology is you can upgrade later. Say you buy a pair of 2GB drives, and a few years down the road you fill it up. You can shut the thing down, pull one of the 2TB and replace it with a 4TB, and turn it back on. It'll rebuild the RAID array onto the new 4GB drive. Then once that's complete, you can turn it off again and pull the other 2GB drive and put in a second 4TB drive and then fire it back up. It will then rebuild onto the new 4TB drive and you've now doubled your storage capacity.

Or, you can just buy an expansion unit which has more drive bays and connect it right up to expand your storage.

If you want to go bigger and backup your other stuff, start out with a 4-disk unit:

I forget raid setups. If you have 4, 4tbs drives, you could technically get at most 12 tbs of storage with 4 tbs of whatever that is called. I can't remember. It keeps your data safe if one drive fails.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I forget raid setups. If you have 4, 4tbs drives, you could technically get at most 12 tbs of storage with 4 tbs of whatever that is called. I can't remember. It keeps your data safe if one drive fails.
Correct. I have 12TB of total storage with the Synology hybrid RAID or whatever they call it. I have about 6TB free. If I went through and deleted old backups I'd probably free up 2TB more. It does a consistency check every so often and a while back it let me know one of the drives had some bad sectors. I did an advance-exchange RMA with Western Digital and got a new drive. I just shut it down, pulled the bad drive, and put the new drive in. I think I had to tell it to incorporate the new drive into the array, but that was it.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Correct. I have 12TB of total storage with the Synology hybrid RAID or whatever they call it. I have about 6TB free. If I went through and deleted old backups I'd probably free up 2TB more. It does a consistency check every so often and a while back it let me know one of the drives had some bad sectors. I did an advance-exchange RMA with Western Digital and got a new drive. I just shut it down, pulled the bad drive, and put the new drive in. I think I had to tell it to incorporate the new drive into the array, but that was it.
Yeah that's awesome. That's my bucket list of pc shit. Gotta pay off my computer first then that's the next addition.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Another cool thing I forgot to mention is Synology offers free DDNS, so you can access the device remotely. This would be a good feature for Fezman when he travels and shit. Camera memory card full? No problem, stick it in your laptop and upload it to the Synology at home.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Another cool thing I forgot to mention is Synology offers free DDNS, so you can access the device remotely. This would be a good feature for Fezman when he travels and shit. Camera memory card full? No problem, stick it in your laptop and upload it to the Synology at home.
That’s actually a great thing, so if I’m away I can access anything?
Also, that machine you linked has no drives? So I would have to buy drives? What kind is recommended (New egg is offering Western digital as a package deal)
I haven’t made the leap just yet but it looks like it’s around $900 complete which is actually within budget

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Yeah you can access it remotely via DDNS. You give the unit a name, lets say its FEZNAS.

You access it through a URL. http://quickconnect.to/FEZNAS

They come bare, no drives so you can pick whatever size/brand drives you want. It saves them from having to sell/stock a ton of different model variations (same core unit with different size drives).

You want to use hard drives that are rated for 24/7 operation in a NAS.

This link should take you to Newegg's NAS drive selection. I used Western Digital Red drives which have a 3-year warranty. They have Red Pro drives that have a 5-year warranty but they are more $$. There are also NAS-rated drives by HGST (Hitachi Global Storage Technology - formerly IBM's hard drive division which is now owned by Western Digital), Seagate, and Toshiba.

The HGST drives have the same warranty as the WD Red drives and could even be the same drives under the label, since it's all the same company. I've never been a fan of Seagate, and have no idea what the deal is with Toshiba - if someone else owns them or is just using the name, etc.

A friend of mine has a big-ass Synology with eight drive bays that he uses for all of his Plex multimedia content (movies, tv shows). He runs WD drives in his as well. He recommended I get the WD Red so I did.

I mentioned that I had one drive go bad, and the advance-exchange on the warranty is really a plus. They will send you the replacement drive first and then you send back the bad drive. You have to give them a credit card number in case you don't send the bad drive back, but that's to be expected.

Check prices on Amazon. I think I might have bought my drives from there instead of Newegg. I don't remember. But, Newegg often has good package deals and coupon codes.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey

Sorry to bring this up but, is 2GB enough? I keep seeing people complain about 1gb for some reason but I also see drives that go to 8GB.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Sorry to bring this up but, is 2GB enough? I keep seeing people complain about 1gb for some reason but I also see drives that go to 8GB.
It depends what you need it for. As I mentioned, I have 4x4TB drives. Using their SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID), my volume size is 10.9TB. I have two desktops and three laptops backing up to it. I also have two indoor IP cameras recording to it. My free space ranges from 4TB to 7TB. I use Acronis for the backups and do incremental backups. Every fifth backup is a full backup, so when it's at the point where there is one full backup and three incrementals - that's when the maximum amount of disk space is used. Last night, I noticed I had about 4TB free. But today, I have 7TB free. That's because when everything backed up last night, it did a new full backup and erased all of the incremental backups along with the old full backup.

What is nice about the Synology is that say you start out with 2TB drives and end up running low on space down the road. You can buy a set of say 4TB or 8TB drives and upgrade your setup by changing one drive at a time. Shut it down, pull one drive, put new bigger drive in, turn it back on, let it rebuild the RAID with the new drive. Once it's done, rinse and repeat, one drive at a time. It'll dynamically resize the volume to the new drive capacity.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
It depends what you need it for. As I mentioned, I have 4x4TB drives. Using their SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID), my volume size is 10.9TB. I have two desktops and three laptops backing up to it. I also have two indoor IP cameras recording to it. My free space ranges from 4TB to 7TB. I use Acronis for the backups and do incremental backups. Every fifth backup is a full backup, so when it's at the point where there is one full backup and three incrementals - that's when the maximum amount of disk space is used. Last night, I noticed I had about 4TB free. But today, I have 7TB free. That's because when everything backed up last night, it did a new full backup and erased all of the incremental backups along with the old full backup.

What is nice about the Synology is that say you start out with 2TB drives and end up running low on space down the road. You can buy a set of say 4TB or 8TB drives and upgrade your setup by changing one drive at a time. Shut it down, pull one drive, put new bigger drive in, turn it back on, let it rebuild the RAID with the new drive. Once it's done, rinse and repeat, one drive at a time. It'll dynamically resize the volume to the new drive capacity.
I'm sorry I should have specified RAM.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Ahh. My Synology came with 2GB. I upgraded it to 8GB with the help of a YouTube video.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
What for? What does it get you? Right now I run an external drive off of my router and I can download and watch all I want.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
What for? What does it get you? Right now I run an external drive off of my router and I can download and watch all I want.
To be honest, I came across a post on a tech site I frequent about doing a RAM upgrade on the Synology. Since I had a spare 8GB SODIMM lying around, I figured why not, as it wasn't going to cost me anything.

In terms of what it gives me, I am not sure. What I do know is that there is zero lag, no matter what the device is doing.

I had a 2TB drive hanging off my old Asus router via USB. It worked ok. I was using Windows Backup to create images of our PCs. It was fine as long as I staggered the times. I had each PC do its backup on a different night.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I'm one step closer to getting this NAS shit together. I just bought 3 3TB HGST drives on NewEgg since I have 2 of the same here. Once I pay these off fully using Paypal credit I'm going to buy this. One question, If I make a Raid array with a drive that already has data on it am I going to have to format?

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
I'm one step closer to getting this NAS shit together. I just bought 3 3TB HGST drives on NewEgg since I have 2 of the same here. Once I pay these off fully using Paypal credit I'm going to buy this. One question, If I make a Raid array with a drive that already has data on it am I going to have to format?
Not 100% sure, but I believe to start a RAID, you have to have the drives all formatted and configured in a RAID array configuration. I don't think you can just drop a drive with data already on it in a RAID array and config the rest of them without wiping the data on the first drive.

EDIT: I stand corrected. It can apparently be done, though they recommend backing up your data first.

https://superuser.com/questions/677564/can-a-raid-1-be-created-without-losing-data

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Not 100% sure, but I believe to start a RAID, you have to have the drives all formatted and configured in a RAID array configuration. I don't think you can just drop a drive with data already on it in a RAID array and config the rest of them without wiping the data on the first drive.

EDIT: I stand corrected. It can apparently be done, though they recommend backing up your data first.

https://superuser.com/questions/677564/can-a-raid-1-be-created-without-losing-data
I thought you might. I might end up just backing up what I have and starting off fresh anyway when that happens. I don't want to run into any obstacles right in the beginning.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Good luck; let us know how it works out!

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
I’m still fucking around with the stupid portable drives

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I’m still fucking around with the stupid portable drives
Just do it. That 2-bay unit and a pair of WD 4TB drives will set you back under $600.

I am actually using mine to back up our phones now. Acronis has an app that works great.

We already have photos and shit stored on the cloud through Google, but I like having a local copy as well.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Just do it. That 2-bay unit and a pair of WD 4TB drives will set you back under $600.

I am actually using mine to back up our phones now. Acronis has an app that works great.

We already have photos and shit stored on the cloud through Google, but I like having a local copy as well.
My portable drive has been connected to my router. It's just about full though and instead of buying a bigger drive I intend to do it right. Had a new Raspberry Pi come out with faster Ethernet I would have probably experimented with that but that's a long ways away.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I have a box of external drives that's been collecting dust for years since getting a NAS.