NAS Drive for a neophyte

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Now that you have it, sign up for a cloud backup service so you don't lose all your shit if it dies. I have between 4TB and 7TB on my NAS at any given time (depending on my PC backup lifecycle). It costs me around $10/month to keep it all synced with B2.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Now that you have it, sign up for a cloud backup service so you don't lose all your shit if it dies. I have between 4TB and 7TB on my NAS at any given time (depending on my PC backup lifecycle). It costs me around $10/month to keep it all synced with B2.
I actually have 2tb Apple cloud and I have an Apple time capsule I also have a 4tb portable drive hooked up to the NAS and several portables with years of back ups. A long time ago my kid fried a hard drive and lost a ton of stuff, nothing I didn’t have backed up because at the time I wasn’t doing as much “digital” I also lost a ton of “analog” photos and negatives in a flood, now I’m flat out paranoid, if I had any real ambition I would put the NAS in my new gunsafe it actually has the plugs in it but running the cat5 from the router to the safes location would be a pain in the dick

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
Mine is a 2013 so I’m going to keep it running for as long as I can, the biggest issue is the “small” (500gig) hard drive, it’s handled almost everything I’ve thrown at it except it chokes on 4K video out of my GoPro, the printer situation is infuriating I can’t figure out, the wireless is all flunky
Is it a spinny hard drive? prices are great now for SSDs and just switching that one over for your programs and local storage and using the NAS for main storage and back up will speed up your boot time and how fast programs run. I use just a 500GB M drive as my main drive on my desktop, this lappy also has 500gb but is soldered on the board but I use Drop Box as a backup also so drive space isn't as important to this one.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Is it a spinny hard drive? prices are great now for SSDs and just switching that one over for your programs and local storage and using the NAS for main storage and back up will speed up your boot time and how fast programs run. I use just a 500GB M drive as my main drive on my desktop, this lappy also has 500gb but is soldered on the board but I use Drop Box as a backup also so drive space isn't as important to this one.
Yep. Drives are dirt cheap.

I have an SSD in every machine. Each desktop machine has a 250 or 500GB SSD plus a 1TB WD Black that the SSD is backed up to. The SSD is backed up to the Synology NAS. Laptops are backed up to the 1TB drives in the desktops, and to the Synology NAS. The NAS is backed up to Backblaze. In theory, I should never lose anything.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

THE FEZ MAN

Na it’s a solid state drive in my Mac book pro, it only chokes on the video if I’m “fast forwarding” it otherwise it great

THE FEZ MAN

Ok, it’s “slow” I know that wireless communications aren’t really great but, I need to move fairly large files from my computer to the cloud drive on regular basis, like 10-20 gigs at a time mostly raw data from memory cards to the cloud where I “work on and sort them” then back to my computer to cut the video, it takes 20 minutes to move 15 gigs

Last edited:

Bobobie

Ok, it’s “slow” I know that wireless communications aren’t really great but, I need to move fairly large files from my computer to the cloud drive on regular basis, like 10-20 gigs at a time mostly raw data from memory cards to the cloud where I “work on and sort them” then back to my computer to cut the video, it takes 20 minutes to move 15 gigs
I don't understand why you would need to send the raw data to the cloud. Why not simply get a card adapter for your PC and copy them to local drives. Get a couple of cheap spinning drives for work storage.

THE FEZ MAN

I don't understand why you would need to send the raw data to the cloud. Why not simply get a card adapter for your PC and copy them to local drives. Get a couple of cheap spinning drives for work storage.
It’s not the “cloud” it’s my own NAS I’m running out of hard drive space

It’s not the “cloud” it’s my own NAS I’m running out of hard drive space
I'd still buy more spinning drives, mount them inside a work station, mount an SD card reader, and dump the cards directly to the PC. It's going to be faster than doing it over a network.

THE FEZ MAN

I'd still buy more spinning drives, mount them inside a work station, mount an SD card reader, and dump the cards directly to the PC. It's going to be faster than doing it over a network.
I’m contemplating buying a Mac mini and setting it up down stairs in my “bedroom” so I can edit video on my 60” tv

I’m contemplating buying a Mac mini and setting it up down stairs in my “bedroom” so I can edit video on my 60” tv
Get a new HP I7 SFF PC and turn it into a Hackintosh. It'll be faster and have room for an SSD and large HD for storage. It will also cost under $1000.