NAS Drive for a neophyte

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I used an external 2TB drive with my Asus router back in the day. It worked well, no extra software needed. All the PCs were able to back up to it. A combination of events led me to upgrade to a NAS. That router got cooked by a lightning storm. What I didn't realize at the time was that the drive got corrupted.

A few weeks later, my wife's PC got infected because she clicks on everything and I had to just throw my hands up and wipe it, That's when I found out that the backup was corrupted on that 2TB drive. Luckily, I had recently upgraded the hard drive in her PC and had the old drive sitting in a drawer. I was able to just clone that onto the new drive and she ended up only losing some recent stuff. That kinda put the fear of God into me, because we had some priceless stuff that could have been lost.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
I looked some more into this router and I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that your router blows goats. People are frustrated with it and even DD-WRT support is extremely limited. Get a netgear or better yet a NAS.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
I originally got this router to get as good a connection to 6 IP cameras as I could. It's worked flawlessly for that - and now I've learned a lot about whats involved with having a NAS (proper working NAS)...

I'll probably wait for this router to die - it's a good 3 years old so it can't be for this world much longer.

I'm up to 7 cameras now - all on the 2.4ghz, and 7 other devices (laptops, phones, etc) on the 5ghz side. Single story home, but router is at one end of it - approx. 70ft. to furthest point thru walls and concrete block exterior walls. Furthest camera is only 40' away.

What Netgear model is a good option these days? AC1900?

ruckstande

Donator
I'm no router expert. I got a Blackhawk Gaming router and it does more than I could ever know what to do with.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I so hated my tp link. Maybe I just had a bad experience.
IIRC, TP-Link started out targeting the budget low-end market and over the years expanded from there. I must admit, however, I was surprised to see a TP-Link as the top pick. Last time I looked, earlier this year it was a Netgear Nighthawk.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
I used an external 2TB drive with my Asus router back in the day. It worked well, no extra software needed. All the PCs were able to back up to it. A combination of events led me to upgrade to a NAS. That router got cooked by a lightning storm. What I didn't realize at the time was that the drive got corrupted.

A few weeks later, my wife's PC got infected because she clicks on everything and I had to just throw my hands up and wipe it, That's when I found out that the backup was corrupted on that 2TB drive. Luckily, I had recently upgraded the hard drive in her PC and had the old drive sitting in a drawer. I was able to just clone that onto the new drive and she ended up only losing some recent stuff. That kinda put the fear of God into me, because we had some priceless stuff that could have been lost.
This kinda happened to me too. I had backups stored locally and some online but when my house was broken into, they stole 2 of my machines used for backup. I was golden until the device crashed and lost the data and the house was broken into and the backups were stolen. Now I use my raid, DropBox and 2 different computers, one which is always on the road with me away from the house.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
IIRC, TP-Link started out targeting the budget low-end market and over the years expanded from there. I must admit, however, I was surprised to see a TP-Link as the top pick. Last time I looked, earlier this year it was a Netgear Nighthawk.
I use a TP Link Archer C7 and while the chinks are probably catching every packet, it does a good job for me.

Bobobie

I had dd-wrt and liked it however finding out the correct version to install and what steps it took to install was like searching for Atlantis. Not to mention some things worked great and others didn't work like USB ports.
I just put DD-WRT on an old Belkin N750. It works great. You have to make sure you pick the right version, because some models have different chipsets but the same model number. Some will have a v or revision number. Just go to the DD-WRT forum for your model of router and read the entire thread. Then you get a grasp on what revisions and versions there are. Now I can just stick a thumbstick or external HD in the USB on the router and it shows up as a windows network drive.

mascan42

Finally got my NAS up & running. But when I'm copying files over, the rest of my computer runs VERY slowly. Even my keyboard lags, as in I had to retype this sentence 3 times to get it to stop skipping letters. Any idea what I can do about this? Granted, I am copying huge amounts of data at once.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
What kind of NIC do you have? Lower-end NIC cards like Realtek use lots of CPU resources in comparison to Intel cards. The Intel cards offload the processing from the CPU. What are the other specs for the box?

ruckstande

Donator
On sale. Anyone interested this is great.

Synology 4 bay NAS DiskStation DS918+ (Diskless)

What kind of NIC do you have? Lower-end NIC cards like Realtek use lots of CPU resources in comparison to Intel cards. The Intel cards offload the processing from the CPU. What are the other specs for the box?
It's not an issue today, unless your PC is ancient. Entirely negligible perf hit on an i7 for example even for the shittiest nic.

Finally got my NAS up & running. But when I'm copying files over, the rest of my computer runs VERY slowly. Even my keyboard lags, as in I had to retype this sentence 3 times to get it to stop skipping letters. Any idea what I can do about this? Granted, I am copying huge amounts of data at once.
The issue might be the disks in your computer, assuming your computer is not 15 years old, and so there should be no processing performance issues copying data to external storage. Try turning off any advanced features in your OS for file management, syncing ect and then scan/defrag drives, though even with this there should not be a delay in keyboard output, that appears to be a buffering issue.

Of course you can just observe your CPU usage to see if something is amiss, it should not be high unless your PC is made from coconuts.

I take it you are copying over network to external storage, and not over USB?

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
It's not an issue today, unless your PC is ancient. Entirely negligible perf hit on an i7 for example even for the shittiest nic.
For an average client PC, sure. But, Realtek's CPU offload is buggy and driver support pales in comparison to Intel. So, it's less than ideal when moving really large amounts of data (which is the subject here). Try running something like a pfSense box with anything but an Intel NIC and get back to me.

@mascan42 did you figure out what was slowing things down in regards to copying across the network to your NAS?

For an average client PC, sure. But, Realtek's CPU offload is buggy and driver support pales in comparison to Intel. So, it's less than ideal when moving really large amounts of data (which is the subject here). Try running something like a pfSense box with anything but an Intel NIC and get back to me.

@mascan42 did you figure out what was slowing things down in regards to copying across the network to your NAS?
We used a realtek set of NICs and an internal Realtek hub for lan gaming back in the day, just before Windows XP, and never had any issues and we copied GBs over a 10mb network and never had processing issues.

If a NIC is bogging down your CPU, there's something that needs fixing

mascan42

It turned out it was just because I was trying to copy from my old USB external drive connected to my PC to the NAS. Once I figured out how to copy direct from the old drive to the NAS, everything was fine.

It turned out it was just because I was trying to copy from my old USB external drive connected to my PC to the NAS. Once I figured out how to copy direct from the old drive to the NAS, everything was fine.

:D You gobshite. That's why I asked if you were copying over USB.

Wondering, is your keyboard USB also?

mascan42

:D You gobshite. That's why I asked if you were copying over USB.

Wondering, is your keyboard USB also?
A. My problem happened months ago before you got here.
B. What am I supposed to do if my old backup is an external drive?
C. Fuck off.

A. My problem happened months ago before you got here.
B. What am I supposed to do if my old backup is an external drive?
C. Fuck off.

Gobshite as we use it in Ireland.. don't take it literally. I call myself a gobshite when I do similar things.
#touchy