NASA revives probe to study BLACK HOLES

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
PASADENA, Calif. - NASA on Friday resurrected a mission to launch a high-energy X-ray telescope into orbit to conduct a black hole census. The Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array, or Nustar, was canceled last year because of budget constraints. Nustar, now scheduled for launch in 2011, will fly two years before the launch of the James Webb Space Telescope, the successor to the aging Hubble Space Telescope.

Scientists hope information gathered by Nustar will shed light on how black holes are distributed and help predict the fates of galaxies.

"I thought the program was dead," said principal investigator Fiona Harrison of the California Institute of Technology. "It's a great opportunity to find black holes that are hidden to optical telescopes."

Nustar, made up of an array of three X-ray telescopes, is expected to detect black holes with 500 times more sensitivity than current space-based telescopes.

Nustar is part of NASA's Explorer program, which funds small to mid-sized projects. Nustar is expected to cost $105 million, Harrison said.

The mission will be managed by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
i just came back from the future. In the year 2012, i work for NASA. I was able to smuggle the first picture taken of a black hole from this telescope back in time.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
i just came back from the future. In the year 2012, i work for NASA. I was able to smuggle the first picture taken of a black hole from this telescope back in time.

I knew the road this thread was gonna take :icon_bigg

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
You fucking queers. Black Holes are real things that deserve respect. You mock science by comparing Black Holes to Negroes. :icon_evil:icon_evil:icon_evil

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY
Aren't black holes worse for martians or something... "whaa"