National Air Cargo 747 Crashes at Bagram, Afghanistan 4/29/13

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC

On Monday morning, a National Air Cargo Boeing 747-400 N949CA, operated on behalf of US Mobility Command, has crashed just after takeoff from Bagram Air Base with 7 crew members on board.
The following is a dashcam video showing the full crash. You can see the aircraft’s nose pitch up heavily, stall, then fall to the ground.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Flying, the safest form of travel... :Icon_eek:

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Boeing 747 Paper-Airplane Edition.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I honestly never thought a plane would drop out of the sky like that.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I honestly never thought a plane would drop out of the sky like that.
A plane is only kept up by lift. Lift is created by air moving across the wings. No air moving - no lift. Your plane is a giant paperweight. If you're at altitude and you lose your engines, you point the nose down, which gathers speed, which gathers lift, and then you climb a little and repeat. What happened here was that he was climbing steep with not enough speed, and the air basically wasn't moving across the wings fast enough, and he was too low to compensate (the way to combat a stall is point yourself down to gather speed and regain your lift), so there was nothing he could do.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
A plane is only kept up by lift. Lift is created by air moving across the wings. No air moving - no lift. Your plane is a giant paperweight. If you're at altitude and you lose your engines, you point the nose down, which gathers speed, which gathers lift, and then you climb a little and repeat. What happened here was that he was climbing steep with not enough speed, and the air basically wasn't moving across the wings fast enough, and he was too low to compensate (the way to combat a stall is point yourself down to gather speed and regain your lift), so there was nothing he could do.
That must be one of the worst feelings when they got to the apex of that climb and just started falling back to earth with no forward momentum. The cockpit recorder probably has a few very haunting seconds on it.

I'm assuming this is a much higher risk on forward military bases because they have to take off on pretty steep inclines, in order to avoid rockets.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
They were hauling vehicles to DUbai and think one or more broke loose and rolled to the rear. At that point, they are passengers waiting for the crash, no more flying will be done.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
That must be one of the worst feelings when they got to the apex of that climb and just started falling back to earth with no forward momentum. The cockpit recorder probably has a few very haunting seconds on it.

I'm assuming this is a much higher risk on forward military bases because they have to take off on pretty steep inclines, in order to avoid rockets.
I was in a Cessna 172 during forced stall training once. That shit is fucking terrifying.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I was in a Cessna 172 during forced stall training once. That shit is fucking terrifying.
Fuck that... that would scare the shit out of me even when I was expecting it.

I've actually only flown twice in my life simply because I prefer to drive if given the option, but the most nervous I got was right before descent when it feels like the jet slowed to a standstill.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Fuck that... that would scare the shit out of me even when I was expecting it.

I've actually only flown twice in my life simply because I prefer to drive if given the option, but the most nervous I got was right before descent when it feels like the jet slowed to a standstill.
My dad got a small aircraft license around 15 years ago and I went on several of his lessons. The other really scary one was IFR training, where they cover the window with one of those sun visors for your car, and you only navigate with the instruments. It's so disorienting. At one point the instructor takes the thing off and we are pointed straight down. I swear to god I had no idea until I saw a window full of ground. It's also rough if you get motion sickness. I almost threw up a couple of times.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
They were hauling vehicles to DUbai and think one or more broke loose and rolled to the rear. At that point, they are passengers waiting for the crash, no more flying will be done.
Damn. That's fucked up.

May 24, 2004
Queens, NY
Two things I could never do consistently on Flight Simulator was do a manual ILS landing using the localizer and glideslope. That and come out of an intentional stall.
Flying, the safest form of travel... :Icon_eek:
True dat. Anyone who says flying is the safest mode of transportation has obviously never been in a catastrophic plane crash.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
I watched a small plane fly over just yesterday, that motherfucker could have fallen out of the sky and killed me. I got 6 kids, and what would have happened to them? Homeless crackhead junkie winos, prolly. I won't sleep tonight. Fuck!

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I can always tell when I've just bought plane tickets...

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
One of my buddies has a sall plane he flies, some glider style with the propeller and wings in the back. His first time to fly with his mom watching, and his fiancé in the plane the front landing gear gets stuck and refuses to deploy. He does a few fly bys and can't get the gear to come down. So he has to glide it to land it. He shuts off the engine, lifts the nose up a bit, let's the back wheels touch, roll on the wheels and the put the belly of te plane to the ground and let t drag to a stop in front of his mom with his future wife on board.

Small planes, not even once.