turdfrgsn

it's a funny name
Mar 7, 2005
North Beach, MD
***they really are great engineers, ya know***

'We have broken speed of light'

By Nic Fleming, Science Correspondent
Last Updated: 12:01am BST 16/08/2007

A pair of German physicists claim to have broken the speed of light - an achievement that would undermine our entire understanding of space and time.

According to Einstein's special theory of relativity, it would require an infinite amount of energy to propel an object at more than 186,000 miles per second.

However, Dr Gunter Nimtz and Dr Alfons Stahlhofen, of the University of Koblenz, say they may have breached a key tenet of that theory.
advertisement

The pair say they have conducted an experiment in which microwave photons - energetic packets of light - travelled "instantaneously" between a pair of prisms that had been moved up to 3ft apart.

Being able to travel faster than the speed of light would lead to a wide variety of bizarre consequences.

For instance, an astronaut moving faster than it would theoretically arrive at a destination before leaving.

The scientists were investigating a phenomenon called quantum tunnelling, which allows sub-atomic particles to break apparently unbreakable laws.

Dr Nimtz told New Scientist magazine: "For the time being, this is the only violation of special relativity that I know of."

Information appearing on telegraph.co.uk is the copyright of Telegraph Media Group Limited and must not be reproduced in any medium without licence. For the full copyright statement see Copyright

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
How do they know it's instant? How do they know thier measuring equipment just isn't getting a false read? 3 ft isn't far for the speed of light.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
It's far enough, but in many instances, the theory of relativity breaks down when you hit the quantum level. Eg, light exists as both a beam and a particle at that level.

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
Jul 27, 2006
jersey

keep in mind this is all still theoretical

bethm1b

person of interest
Dec 1, 2006
Just past the line.
If anyone can do it, it will be the Krauts. They invented the microwave oven that seats 12.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
Einstein was a faggot. Do you really believe that someone that lived back in his days had everything figured out? Id say no.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
If anyone can do it, it will be the Krauts. They invented the microwave oven that seats 12.
:clap: :clap: :clap: And that'll do it. Thank you everyone else for showing up, but we have a winner.

Larz

****Self-Banned****
It's My Birthday!
Feb 12, 2006
NYC E. Village, No Homo
However, Dr Gunter Nimtz and Dr Alfons Stahlhofen, of the University of Koblenz, say they may have breached a key tenet of that theory.

The pair say they have conducted an experiment in which microwave photons - energetic packets of light - travelled "instantaneously" between a pair of prisms that had been moved up to 3ft apart.

The scientists were investigating a phenomenon called quantum tunnelling, which allows sub-atomic particles to break apparently unbreakable laws.

Dr Nimtz told New Scientist magazine: "For the time being, this is the only violation of special relativity that I know of."
I dunno what these guys are smokin, this phenomenon was covered in my EM theory class like 5 years ago. Same exact experiment.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i wonder if these two were hanging out with the guys that said they achieved fission in a glass of water at room temperature....

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

/approves

I would like to thank this article for the name of the light speed drive for the book I'm trying to write.

Quantum Tunnel Drive FTW.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Theorizing that one could time travel.....Dr Gunter Nimitz stepped into the Quantum Imaging Chamber, and dissappeared.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
His companion...a hologram named Alfons...With every leap Gunter hopes that his next leap will be the leap to Der Vaterland

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Eek Gunter. Don't go in dat von. Itz zee otha chamba. Datz zee gas chamba!!

I stink.