NBC Censors Tracy Morgan on Conan

livebackwards

Proud Patron of Ted's Conglomerated Gasmaskery
Jan 29, 2006
Houston, TX
Saw Tracy on Conan tonight. He was hilarious and crazy, but NBC bleeped out a word three or four times.

That word was "immigrant".

He was talking about his fish tanks full of piranhas and how he keeps them clean ("I have imm****nts clean 'em!") and what the piranhas eat ("Imm****nts!"). And instead of immediately cracking up as hard as the studio audience did, I spent those few seconds figuring out what the fuck he was saying.

Just another example of a tiny bit of joy being killed by businessmen in suits. They're humorless and scared, so as a result, they ruin that little bit of fun for everyone else. Wouldn't be that big a deal if it weren't getting worse and worse every fucking day. Wouldn't be so bad if it weren't a symptom of the overall poisoning of American culture with PC, crybaby-coddling victim worship.

I know it's just a little thing, but Christ, all this shit is adding up.

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
meanwhile 660 wfan has one curse go out after another. just a few minutes ago I heard the fourth curse word to not get dumped in a about a week. I only bring it up cause its the station Imus was on and got dumped from

livebackwards

Jan 29, 2006
Houston, TX
they bleeped out "immigrants?"

wow.
Yup.

I guess context *does* matter. Of course you can say "immigrant" on TV... as long as you're not saying anything funny.

Man oh man, are the Chinese ever gonna have an easy time with us.

CJJames

Pest Jedi
Apr 22, 2005
Vegas
Saw Tracy on Conan tonight. He was hilarious and crazy, but NBC bleeped out a word three or four times.

That word was "immigrant".

He was talking about his fish tanks full of piranhas and how he keeps them clean ("I have imm****nts clean 'em!") and what the piranhas eat ("Imm****nts!"). And instead of immediately cracking up as hard as the studio audience did, I spent those few seconds figuring out what the fuck he was saying.

Just another example of a tiny bit of joy being killed by businessmen in suits. They're humorless and scared, so as a result, they ruin that little bit of fun for everyone else. Wouldn't be that big a deal if it weren't getting worse and worse every fucking day. Wouldn't be so bad if it weren't a symptom of the overall poisoning of American culture with PC, crybaby-coddling victim worship.

I know it's just a little thing, but Christ, all this shit is adding up.

Are you sure it was "immigrants"? I ran it back a few times and couldn't figure out what exactly what he said those three times, but his mouth didn't look like it said "immigrants.

The context about green cards points toward something like that, but it didn't look like it to me.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
You dummy, it wasn't "immigrants", it was "Puerto Ricans." Thus the green card jokes and the ridiculous censoring.

MJ001

Apr 24, 2007
Detroit
I fucking love Tracy. I was wondering what they beeped the other night.

Yeah it looks like he said puerto rican....that is absolutely ridiculous that they beeped that.

Ari Shaffir

Dec 4, 2006
Hollywood
Tracy Morgan is hilarious. If not for entertainment, he'd be in prison.

And it seemed like Puerto Rican. But the beeps made that seem more offensive than it really was.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
They bleeped that but they let, "They get that shit out of the east river," on?

livebackwards

Jan 29, 2006
Houston, TX
You dummy, it wasn't "immigrants", it was "Puerto Ricans." Thus the green card jokes and the ridiculous censoring.
All right, so I lip-read poorly. It changes my original point not at all. Last time I checked "Puerto Rican" was not a racial slur or swear word.

Stupid dummy stupid dummy dummy stupid!

MJ001

Apr 24, 2007
Detroit
They bleeped that but they let, "They get that shit out of the east river," on?
I thought the same thing when I was watching it. I rewound and he actually says "straight out the east river". Did sound a lot like "shit" though.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
It's not censorship unless the government is doing it. Private business can do what ever they want. Mostly they do this kind of thing to save themselves from lawsuits. If you don't like it, blame the lawyers.

livebackwards

Jan 29, 2006
Houston, TX
It's not censorship unless the government is doing it. Private business can do what ever they want. Mostly they do this kind of thing to save themselves from lawsuits. If you don't like it, blame the lawyers.
No, it's still censorship. Although the government-enforced kind is worse, I'll agree with you there.

Would it be okay if I blame the lawyers AND the spineless executives who cave immediately AND the letter-writing jizzbuckets who create the panic in the first place? Is it okay if I just blame everybody who wants their piece of the fun-killing?