NBC Comedies: Community, Parks, Office, Whitney

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Is there a thread on this? I don't see it...
Anyway, did anyone watch Parks? I saw the last 2 minutes and saw that "Tammy" was in the office with Ron?

Did they just re-cast her as a different woman because they couldn't get Megan Mullally, or is it ANOTHER Tammy?

Office - So... Spader isn't going to be on the show, or is he?
Pam is pregnant again?
Planking... About 3 months too late?

Already annoyed by this season

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I was coming to start it!!

That was Tammy 1, Megan Mullally was Tammy 2.

Spader is going to be on the show, but in the position of CEO who visits I guess.

I fucking hate Andy Bernard.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I kind of assumed it was another Tammy. The way Office started I thought that Spader was out before it began, now I guess he's there but in FLA as well...

I hate fat Pam.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Because nothing is happening while seeming very sitcom-y.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I guess Toby didn't die of cancer after last season, he looked terrible, now he looks alright.

This is... Terrible.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Robert California might work on a smarter, more realistic show, but this is bad. It's the "they're a family!!" thing that sucked last season.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Wow, 11 laugh track laughs in the first 40 seconds of this Whitney show.
"You're wearing a hoodie?"
[LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL]
"Yes..."
[LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL]

I'm out, I gave it 2 minutes.

salz4life

May 11, 2007
Fox Lake, IL
Parks and Rec ruled..... The Office was, um, on...... Whitney is a giant DUD, just awful.

Oct 16, 2008
Parma, OH
After hearing the Whitney segment on the show earlier this week, I was surprised how quick that scene went by. It's not good but it's not the worst sitcom I've ever seen. Unfortunately, I missed Community and P&R because my wife had to watch the Vampire Diaries and "we never get to spend any time together." Will definitely catch those this weekend.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Why isn't 30 Rock on?
Are they saving it for a mid-season rescue, as I feel like Whitney only makes it 4-5 'Sodes

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Honestly, as a background character he wasn't that bad. But when he became equal to Jim, Pam, and the rest of the gang, he became unbearable.

ProflyerXM

Not an attention seeker
Sep 16, 2005
Idaho
I generally hate Andy but I got one of the biggest laughs from the Office with his character. The episode where Jim steals his phone and hides it in the ceiling and keeps calling it for the whole episode until Andy freaks out still cracks me up.

Whitney was boring but I could watch an hour of her sauntering around in that nurse's outfit.

Prime Suspect was the typical predictable "Oh, look out, she's CRAZY, she does things the WRONG WAY but boy does she get results!!!!" cop show.

I don't normally like to judge shows after the pilot. Whitney and Prime Suspect get two more episodes. I missed the only show I was really looking forward to, Community, because my dumb girlfriend wanted to eat out.

NoRez

Old, tired warrior woman originally from Antland.
Jun 20, 2008
NY-born Bostonian.
Shitney.
She swore on Twitter that they didn't use a laugh track. I think she's funny (standup/roasts), but I think she lies... and the show, what I saw of it, is unwatchable NBC pap.
The Office was a drag. PLANKING? I was surprised there wasn't a moment where Kevin happily cried out "WINNING!"

Prime Suspect was pretty cool.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Shitney.
She swore on Twitter that they didn't use a laugh track. I think she's funny (standup/roasts), but I think she lies... and the show, what I saw of it, is unwatchable NBC pap.
The Office was a drag. PLANKING? I was surprised there wasn't a moment where Kevin happily cried out "WINNING!"

Prime Suspect was pretty cool.
Perhaps I don't understand what a laugh track sounds like, but there's no fucking way a live audience laughed 450 times in a 20 minute period.
Like I said before, there was a line in the first 20 seconds where the dude said to her, "You're wearing a hoodie to a wedding" and it sounded like THE AUDIENCE might have literally laughed so hard they shit themselves. And it mysteriously cut off right when the next terrible line was coming, there's no way that human beings would laugh at 90% of the lines on that show.

I refuse to believe it.

As for the Office, yeah, I mentioned the Planking. Apparently there was a 2 girls 1 cup Pam reaction that they left on the editing floor, and a scene where Kevin played a homeless man with a voice of gold.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I generally hate Andy but I got one of the biggest laughs from the Office with his character. The episode where Jim steals his phone and hides it in the ceiling and keeps calling it for the whole episode until Andy freaks out still cracks me up.
That was a funny moment, but that was when he was still a side character not the boss who has become Sitcom Dad.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
As for the Office, yeah, I mentioned the Planking. Apparently there was a 2 girls 1 cup Pam reaction that they left on the editing floor, and a scene where Kevin played a homeless man with a voice of gold.
There was a time when I thought them being slow on the popular culture uptake was because these people were losers who only got the scraps after the dogs got to them. Now I think it's just laziness.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I thought Parks was pretty good, just watched.

I'm still in love with April, and thought Leslie's homemade Geraldine Ferraro action figure was pretty good.

"There's an old sewage department saying. If you've got a nice drainpipe, no reason to hide it..."
"Your inbox is literally filled with penises"

Ron is up there as far as my favorite TV Characters. How did he grow a full beard in a few days?

I have the toes I have... let's just leave it at that.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I fucking hate Andy Bernard.
Honestly, as a background character he wasn't that bad. But when he became equal to Jim, Pam, and the rest of the gang, he became unbearable.
Agreed. Just because Ed Helms found success with the Hangover doesn't mean he deserved to have a bigger role on The Office.

Oct 16, 2008
Parma, OH
Why isn't 30 Rock on?
Are they saving it for a mid-season rescue, as I feel like Whitney only makes it 4-5 'Sodes
Judah said that things got pushed back because Tina was pregnant. It'll probably be like P&R last year where it came on in January and had a whole season.

Ron is up there as far as my favorite TV Characters. How did he grow a full beard in a few days?
Because he's Ron Fucking Swanson.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
After watching P+R, the emptiness of The Office really shines through. I really get a sense of universe and character with Parks and Recreation that has been utterly lacking from the last few seasons of The Office. And yes, April is definitely the type of girl you'd want to be with.

I also figured out what bothers me about the post-Hangover Andy Bernard. He's become network-approved Michael Scott. Michael was the goofy showman who wanted the office to be his friends, but they never were. Andy is the goofy showman who wants the office to be his friends, and they are. While at the beginning, the song-and-dance-man qualities were used for us to laugh at them, now, for Andy at least, they're used to show what a great and talented guy he is. Compare the episode with Andy's Play to when we saw Michael's improv class.

Oddly enough, if Michael were to make a "these are why my co-workers are amazing" speech to David Wallace I'd buy into it a lot more than Andy doing it to Robert. When Michael Scott praised his crew, and I don't know if this is due to exclusively Steve Carrel's performance you felt his passion and loyalty to them, while when Andy did it, I didn't. Of course when Michael defended them, the entire office didn't go up and hug him so that's another difference.

I do love seeing John Goodman from Howard Erickson to Vice Dean Laybourne. That man does not get enough credit.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I do love seeing John Goodman from Howard Erickson to Vice Dean Laybourne. That man does not get enough credit.
Still never seen a whole episode of Community. I saw most of one early on, and never gave it a chance. Mostly b/c I hate Joel McHale, which I know is sacrelig

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Still never seen a whole episode of Community. I saw most of one early on, and never gave it a chance. Mostly b/c I hate Joel McHale, which I know is sacrelig
I actually wasn't the biggest fan of McHale before Community, but he's great on the show.

You do have to give it a chance. After the first couple of episodes I wasn't really digging it, but it definitely finds its place before the 1/2 point of Season 1.